NASA Announces that Potatoes Can Grow Under Mars Atmosphere and Soil

With genetic engineering and exponential growth it could be done in a short time.
Imagine genetically engineered bacteria that take in CO2 and release Oxygen and Nitrogen and thrive in the Martian habitat?
The planet would be covered in Oxygen in a couple of decades tops, lol.
Based on how long it took for the Earth to generate an atmosphere with free oxygen I think you are looking at centuries. And that is with the maximum amount of genetic engineering to do what you wish. It took over a billion years for the Earth to generate it.

You are not really thinking about the exponential growth thingy. The genetically engineered bacteria would have ZERO PREDATORS.

Other than the incredibly hostile environment, and the fact that Mars is pretty darned big.

I think mushrooms are the "real" solution to Mars growing personally, but that's what we pay NASA scientists for heh

I think mushrooms are the "real" solution to Mars growing personally, but that's what we pay NASA scientists for heh
I am figuring that they will start with engineered bacteria, go to engineered lichen later, and then mushrooms and then insects.

After that you have a full range of biodiverse animals that can sustain themselves if the atmosphere is getting thicker and can handle more Oxygen.

Ant colonies have mastered farming mushrooms underground, so no worries with the temps there. They say there's lava tubes on Mars which is our best bet since it'd not only be temperate, but also protect us from radiation.

(FYI I'm off to the airport shortly so I prob won't see any responses for like two weeks heh)

Far better would be to colonize the Moon. Build a viable colony there, and the rest of the Solar System is opened wide for you.

Imagine what we could do with a viable moon base. Gravity is 1/4 earth's. It would be relatively easy to build Star Trek style ships that could travel through out the solar system for exploration or even mining resources and precious metals.

Overcoming earth's gravity is the single greatest obstacle.

Actually, it is about 1/6 Earth's gravity.

Forum List

Back