NASA Announces that Potatoes Can Grow Under Mars Atmosphere and Soil

Every living thing has to eat.

I laughed when I came home and saw WHY my lettuce was flat and dying. The cat enjoyed the garden!
That is so cute. We love our cats. I think cats are the greatest creation God ever came up with for the animal kingdom. They are the best. Nothing compares to a cat.

Trump should make it a priority that we go to Mars. That would be fucking awesome.

I thought pine trees can
Nope. There's a 'zone' as you go up the mountains where trees cannot grow, because the air is too thin and its too cold. But that zone comes no where close to the temps on mars and the super thin atmosphere. It's why you don't find trees near the arctic. I don't believe that story for a minute.
Same for snakes. There is a height - maybe 9000 ft. I'm not sure - which is called above the snake line. They can't survive up there.

Trump should make it a priority that we go to Mars. That would be fucking awesome.
I'd rather that he made it a priority for Obama to go to Mars and he can take his criminal friends with him. Pelosi, Podesta Brothers, Clintons.. put them all in rocket that only goes one way! To Mars! Let them eat potatoes! If they don't work? They won't eat!

I'd rather that he made it a priority for Obama to go to Mars and he can take his criminal friends with him. Pelosi, Podesta Brothers, Clintons.. put them all in rocket that only goes one way! To Mars! Let them eat potatoes! If they don't work? They won't eat!
No we don't want to turn Mars into a prisoner colony. They did that in Australia and look how that turned out!

Nope. There's a 'zone' as you go up the mountains where trees cannot grow, because the air is too thin and its too cold. But that zone comes no where close to the temps on mars and the super thin atmosphere. I don't believe that story for a minute.

Well, only because the air is too thin.

Pine trees do grow in some hellish places in Siberia, as I said. Perhaps some genetic engineering could allow them to survive one day on Mars?

No we don't want to turn Mars into a prisoner colony. They did that in Australia and look how that turned out!
Find another planet, Blackrook. Mars has potato capabilities and these people need to be as far away from civilization as possible. Mars sounds like a winner to me!

Well, I think I read the article carefully.

It seems to say they mimicked the martian atmosphere. Not the super cold temperatures. A little more believable.

The thin atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide (which liberals call a "pollutant"). Plants breath carbon dioxide.

The article says nothing about growing potatoes in a sub zero climate (they won't grow in that).

True.

I thought pine trees can
Nope. There's a 'zone' as you go up the mountains where trees cannot grow, because the air is too thin and its too cold. But that zone comes no where close to the temps on mars and the super thin atmosphere. It's why you don't find trees near the arctic. I don't believe that story for a minute.
Same for snakes. There is a height - maybe 9000 ft. I'm not sure - which is called above the snake line. They can't survive up there.
Ha ha. Dumb snakes

Nope. There's a 'zone' as you go up the mountains where trees cannot grow, because the air is too thin and its too cold. But that zone comes no where close to the temps on mars and the super thin atmosphere. I don't believe that story for a minute.

Well, only because the air is too thin.

Pine trees do grow in some hellish places in Siberia, as I said. Perhaps some genetic engineering could allow them to survive one day on Mars?
I think Obama, Pelosi, Podestas and Clintons will manage. They can shape shift if need be!

Trees won't grow in Greenland except in the southernmost regions -- because its too cold (not nearly as cold as mars where its colder than the north pole).

I thought pine trees can
Ha ha. Dumb snakes
Actually if you observe them you'll find they are not dumb. They are quite subtle and crafty. A snake will usually notice you long before you notice it. The same applies to the two legged variety.

Be vigilant.

Far better would be to colonize the Moon. Build a viable colony there, and the rest of the Solar System is opened wide for you.

However, potatoes themselves freeze. I had a sack camping, and the temperature dropped to -15 F, and when the potatoes thawed, they turned into little mushballs. I would like to know what kind of potatoes they used. There are several thousand varieties in South America.

However, the publication is one that I find credible, so I think I will follow up on this experiment. Thank you for the article.
Dig a hole deep enough to hold a cooler or a garbage can and throw some straw or newspaper in there. Put your potatoes in the cooler - or garbage can and put the lid back on (ground level - lid should be ground level) and then throw a blanket over it. It will keep your food. You can do the same with apples, etc.
LOL The problem is that the ground they grow in will freeze at a lower temperature than that every night. So the tubers will die as soon as they get large enough to have moisture in them.

Far better would be to colonize the Moon. Build a viable colony there, and the rest of the Solar System is opened wide for you.

The moon first as we terraform Mars, then focus on building permanent settlements on Mars as we start to terraform Venus.

Why doesn't the ground freeze?
I don't think they're mimicking mars temps. No living thing can survive those temps. The atmosphere is thinner than the top of Mt Everest. I'm surprised anything could grow at that atmospheric pressure.
No, read the article. They were mimicing Mars temperatures and other atmospheric conditions.

The CubeSat houses a container holding soil and the tuber. Inside this hermetically sealed environment the CubeSat delivers nutrient rich water, controls the temperature for Mars day and night conditions and mimics Mars air pressure, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sensors constantly monitor these conditions and live streaming cameras record the soil in anticipation of the potato sprouting.
Its about 80 below zero and the atmosphere is 1% of the earth's atmosphere. Mars is uninhabitable. Nothing can grow there.

Mars' Atmosphere: Composition, Climate & Weather
Well, now they have discovered that some things can.
What I read is that they did get the potatoes to sprout. I did not see where they got a successful crop. Can they do that?

Imagine what we could do with a viable moon base. Gravity is 1/4 earth's. It would be relatively easy to build Star Trek style ships that could travel through out the solar system for exploration or even mining resources and precious metals.

Overcoming earth's gravity is the single greatest obstacle.

The moon first as we terraform Mars, then focus on building permanent settlements on Mars as we start to terraform Venus.

Mars is probably not terraformable. It has too low a gravity to retain any more than an exoatmosphere.

Mars is probably not terraformable. It has too low a gravity to retain any more than an exoatmosphere.
Mars once had an atmosphere, and it slowly leeched away over millions of years.

We could terraform it for a much shorter period for our needs, constantly renewing/replenishing it.

Forum List

Back