NASA Announces that Potatoes Can Grow Under Mars Atmosphere and Soil

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
All they need is fertilizer, and hell, Washington DC could supply for a large colony for decades all by itself!

Indicators show potatoes can grow on Mars

The International Potato Center (CIP) launched a series of experiments to discover if potatoes can grow under Mars atmospheric conditions and thereby prove they are also able to grow in extreme climates on Earth. This Phase Two effort of CIP's proof of concept experiment to grow potatoes in simulated Martian conditions began on February 14, 2016 when a tuber was planted in a specially constructed CubeSat contained environment built by engineers from University of Engineering and Technology (UTEC) in Lima based upon designs and advice provided by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Ames Research Center (NASA ARC), California. Preliminary results are positive.

The Potatoes on Mars project was conceived by CIP to both understand how potatoes might grow in Mars conditions and also see how they survive in the extreme conditions similar to what parts of the world already suffering from climate change and weather shocks are already experiencing.

"Growing crops under Mars-like conditions is an important phase of this experiment," says Julio Valdivia-Silva, a research associate with the SETI Institute who has worked at NASA's Ames Research Center (NASA ARC) and now works at UTEC in Lima. "If the crops can tolerate the extreme conditions that we are exposing them to in our CubeSat, they have a good chance to grow on Mars. We will do several rounds of experiments to find out which potato varieties do best. "We want to know what the minimum conditions are that a potato needs to survive," he said.

The CubeSat houses a container holding soil and the tuber. Inside this hermetically sealed environment the CubeSat delivers nutrient rich water, controls the temperature for Mars day and night conditions and mimics Mars air pressure, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sensors constantly monitor these conditions and live streaming cameras record the soil in anticipation of the potato sprouting.​

Can we appoint Obama to be designated potato farmer on Mars? We could ask Hasbro to redesign Mr. Potato head in his likeness.

images

Last edited:
Why doesn't the ground freeze?
Well fluids freeze, while dry soil stays granular, doesnt it? To freeze it would need water, and I guess it freezes when the potatoes are already planted, so it isnt like tundra, exactly.

All they need is fertilizer, and hell, Washington DC could supply for a large colony for decades all by itself!

The International Potato Center (CIP) launched a series of experiments to discover if potatoes can grow under Mars atmospheric conditions and thereby prove they are also able to grow in extreme climates on Earth. This Phase Two effort of CIP's proof of concept experiment to grow potatoes in simulated Martian conditions began on February 14, 2016 when a tuber was planted in a specially constructed CubeSat contained environment built by engineers from University of Engineering and Technology (UTEC) in Lima based upon designs and advice provided by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Ames Research Center (NASA ARC), California. Preliminary results are positive.

The Potatoes on Mars project was conceived by CIP to both understand how potatoes might grow in Mars conditions and also see how they survive in the extreme conditions similar to what parts of the world already suffering from climate change and weather shocks are already experiencing.

"Growing crops under Mars-like conditions is an important phase of this experiment," says Julio Valdivia-Silva, a research associate with the SETI Institute who has worked at NASA's Ames Research Center (NASA ARC) and now works at UTEC in Lima. "If the crops can tolerate the extreme conditions that we are exposing them to in our CubeSat, they have a good chance to grow on Mars. We will do several rounds of experiments to find out which potato varieties do best. "We want to know what the minimum conditions are that a potato needs to survive," he said.

The CubeSat houses a container holding soil and the tuber. Inside this hermetically sealed environment the CubeSat delivers nutrient rich water, controls the temperature for Mars day and night conditions and mimics Mars air pressure, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sensors constantly monitor these conditions and live streaming cameras record the soil in anticipation of the potato sprouting.​
Send Obama. Mission Fertilizer accomplished.

Preview

Of all the foods grown I think potatoes has got to be the most filling, nutritious and easiest (to grow).

However, potatoes themselves freeze. I had a sack camping, and the temperature dropped to -15 F, and when the potatoes thawed, they turned into little mushballs. I would like to know what kind of potatoes they used. There are several thousand varieties in South America.

However, the publication is one that I find credible, so I think I will follow up on this experiment. Thank you for the article.

I don't think they're mimicking mars temps. No living thing can survive those temps. The atmosphere is thinner than the top of Mt Everest. I'm surprised anything could grow at that atmospheric pressure.
No, read the article. They were mimicing Mars temperatures and other atmospheric conditions.

The CubeSat houses a container holding soil and the tuber. Inside this hermetically sealed environment the CubeSat delivers nutrient rich water, controls the temperature for Mars day and night conditions and mimics Mars air pressure, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sensors constantly monitor these conditions and live streaming cameras record the soil in anticipation of the potato sprouting.

Of all the foods grown I think potatoes has got to be the most filling, nutritious and easiest (to grow).
I planted a garden a couple years ago, until my cat, Prince Harry discovered he liked to sleep on the cool lettuce leaves. They all died from that. Then the deer came and ate everything else!

I've been thinking about growing just potatoes in a 55 gal plastic barrel after watching some YouTube videos. Looks like you can get a huge harvest with little work, and they may be protected from the deer.

However, potatoes themselves freeze. I had a sack camping, and the temperature dropped to -15 F, and when the potatoes thawed, they turned into little mushballs. I would like to know what kind of potatoes they used. There are several thousand varieties in South America.

However, the publication is one that I find credible, so I think I will follow up on this experiment. Thank you for the article.
Dig a hole deep enough to hold a cooler or a garbage can and throw some straw or newspaper in there. Put your potatoes in the cooler - or garbage can and put the lid back on (ground level - lid should be ground level) and then throw a blanket over it. It will keep your food. You can do the same with apples, etc.

I don't think they're mimicking mars temps. No living thing can survive those temps. The atmosphere is thinner than the top of Mt Everest. I'm surprised anything could grow at that atmospheric pressure.
No, read the article. They were mimicing Mars temperatures and other atmospheric conditions.

The CubeSat houses a container holding soil and the tuber. Inside this hermetically sealed environment the CubeSat delivers nutrient rich water, controls the temperature for Mars day and night conditions and mimics Mars air pressure, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sensors constantly monitor these conditions and live streaming cameras record the soil in anticipation of the potato sprouting.
Its about 80 below zero and the atmosphere is 1% of the earth's atmosphere. Mars is uninhabitable. Nothing can grow there.

Mars' Atmosphere: Composition, Climate & Weather

Its about 80 below zero and the atmosphere is 1% of the earth's atmosphere. Mars is uninhabitable. Nothing can grow there.

Well, now they have discovered that some things can.

I planted a garden a couple years ago, until my cat, Prince Harry discovered he liked to sleep on the cool lettuce leaves. They all died from that. Then the deer came and ate everything else!

I've been thinking about growing just potatoes in a 55 gal plastic barrel after watching some YouTube videos. Looks like you can get a huge harvest with little work, and they my be protected from the deer.
One of my bulls (the biggest one) broke out and went down my husband's garden row by row eating everything. In one evening he ate the okra, the corn, anything that was out there he ate it and there was no stopping him. He was close to 1800 lbs. at the time and it was pitch black out there. I wasn't going to get in front of him and try to stop him. My husband was furious when he saw the damage done but he got over it.

Well, now they have discovered that some things can.
I thought pine trees can.

Every living thing has to eat.

I laughed when I came home and saw WHY my lettuce was flat and dying. The cat enjoyed the garden!

Forum List

Back