Name me one Country Song, Just One!

How about Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks singing "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away"?

Years ago, I was working the night shift, when on the way home a song came on that really got my attention. The only line I remember is "Drop Kick me Jesus through the Goal Posts of life." I drove up to my apartment building just as my friends were heading out to work and they heard me laughing so hard, they came over to find out what was going on, I had them listen to it and man, we laughed at that for days.

Think again, the lyrics are the same.

This is incorrect as well. The thread is for COUNTRY SONGS and "Hurt" is not a country song simply because Johnny Cash covered it. Even if there was some validity to the argument that since a country singer covered it, it made it country, it falls apart because Johnny Cash wasn't only a country singer.

Nice. Why do you have to denigrate my choice? Pissed off because I brought up that "Hurt" isn't a Country song? Or just a hater and can't stop yourself?

Actually a line or two is changed and the context is different. Johnny Cash and Nine Inch Nails singing the same song has two different meanings for each of them.

Johnny Cash wasn't only a country singer, but that doesn't automatically invalidate any of his songs as country. A cover may not be his original work but he still sang the song. Besides, he turned it into a country song.

And throughout your post I was asking myself, what's her problem and now when I look at the last line I realize why. You're pissed off at me for jokingly making a comment about Taylor Swift. Calm the fuck down Amanda and take a chill pill, I don't know what stick is stuck up your ass but you may want to remove it before you break a blood vessel.

Oh and Abiker, awesome song choice:

Easily my second favorite Johnny Cash song.

[youtube]B9BpfLhpEME[/youtube]

Years ago, I was working the night shift, when on the way home a song came on that really got my attention. The only line I remember is "Drop Kick me Jesus through the Goal Posts of life." I drove up to my apartment building just as my friends were heading out to work and they heard me laughing so hard, they came over to find out what was going on, I had them listen to it and man, we laughed at that for days.

great song

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SO5Y1OuQIxo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SO5Y1OuQIxo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I like this one... :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/v/id2pJp9ACg8

Tried to embed but it wouldn't load... oh well you get a link

Actually a line or two is changed and the context is different. Johnny Cash and Nine Inch Nails singing the same song has two different meanings for each of them.

What is the line or lines that were changed?

And yeah, Duh, any song sung by anyone is going to have different meaning and context. It doesn't make "Hurt" a country song.

Johnny Cash wasn't only a country singer, but that doesn't automatically invalidate any of his songs as country.
Of course it doesn't, that wasn't my assertion. I could see trying to say you countrified "Personal Jesus" because that was a little twangy, but Hurt? Nope, it's a straight up cover, nothing any more country about Johnny singing it than Trent singing it. if you have some other reason that JC singing it to make it country I'd like to hear it, because the fact that JC sings something doesn't make it a country song, which is what the thread is about. Check the title: Name me one Country Song...

"Hurt" isn't a country song. You could play it country style and it wouldn't make it a country song.

A cover may not be his original work but he still sang the song. Besides, he turned it into a country song.
How? It sounds just like the original.

And throughout your post I was asking myself, what's her problem and now when I look at the last line I realize why. You're pissed off at me for jokingly making a comment about Taylor Swift. Calm the fuck down Amanda and take a chill pill, I don't know what stick is stuck up your ass but you may want to remove it before you break a blood vessel.

Pfffft. Get over yourself, I don't care if you make fun of Taylor Swift. If I've taken offense at anything it's trying to slip a Nine Inch Nails song into a thread about COUNTRY songs.

I'm surprised.. not even a comical mention of Mac Davis :D :)

[

for some reason, you reminded me of jerry reed. i always liked this one.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WK2y66qFDs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WK2y66qFDs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

That is your favorite.

There's many a strange impulse out on the plains of West Texas;
There's many a young boy who feels things he don't comprehend.
Well small town don't like it when somebody falls between sexes,
No, small town don't like it when a cowboy has feelings for men.

Well I believe in my soul that inside every man there's a feminine,
And inside every lady there's a deep manly voice loud and clear.
Well, a cowboy may brag about things that he does with his women,
But the ones who brag loudest are the ones that are most likely queer.

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other —
What did you think those saddles and boots was about?
There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his
brother,
Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out.

Ten men for each woman was the rule way back when on the prairie,
And somehow those cowboys must have kept themselves warm late at night.
Cowboys are famous for getting riled up about fairies,
But I'll tell you the reason a big strong man gets so uptight:

That's why they wear leather, and Levi's and belts buckled tight.
brother;
There's many a cowboy who's more like a lady at night.

Well there's always somebody who says what the others just whisper,
And mostly that someone's the first one to get shot down dead:
When you talk to a cowboy don't treat him like he was a sister
Don't mess with the lady that's sleepin' in each cowboy's head.

Even though they take speed and drive pickups and shoot their big guns;
brother;
There's many a cowboy who keeps quiet about things he's done.

Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30V5vnYHzk]YouTube - Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman[/ame]

Think again, the lyrics are the same.

This is incorrect as well. The thread is for COUNTRY SONGS and "Hurt" is not a country song simply because Johnny Cash covered it. Even if there was some validity to the argument that since a country singer covered it, it made it country, it falls apart because Johnny Cash wasn't only a country singer.

Nice. Why do you have to denigrate my choice? Pissed off because I brought up that "Hurt" isn't a Country song? Or just a hater and can't stop yourself?

No. Your argument reeks. Simple as that.

I like Marty Robbins and Johnny Horton

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyXrxfjEOhs&feature=related]YouTube - Battle of New Orleans - Better Audio[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back