NAACP announces Its "Unconditional Support" for Cali's Marijuana legalization

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by topspin, Jun 30, 2010.

1. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    NAACP Announces Its “Unconditional Support” For California’s Marijuana Legalization Measure
    Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:28:53 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director
    Share This Article The California NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) today expressed its “unconditional support” for The Regulate, Control & Tax Cannabis Initiative 2010, which will appear on the November statewide ballot.

The measure, also known as Proposition 19, would allow adults 21 years or older to possess and cultivate marijuana for personal use. It would also permit local governments the option to authorize the retail sale and commercial cultivation of cannabis to adults. Personal marijuana cultivation or not-for-profit sales of marijuana would not be taxed under the measure.

The California NAACP announced its endorsement of the measure at a news conference in Sacramento this morning. The press conference coincided with the release of a report finding that African Americans are arrested for marijuana possession offenses in California’s 25 largest counties at more than twice the rates of Caucasians.

“Young blacks use marijuana at lower rates than young whites. Yet from 2004 through 2008, in every one of the 25 largest counties in California, blacks were arrested for marijuana possession at higher rates than whites, typically at double, triple or even quadruple the rate of whites,” the report concluded. “acks were arrested for simple marijuana possession far out of proportion to their percentage in the total population of the counties. In the 25 largest counties as a whole, blacks are 7% of the population but 20% of the people arrested for possessing marijuana.”

Statewide, authors reported that in 2008 African Americans and Latinos combined comprised less than 44% of the state’s population, but together constituted 56% of the people arrested in California for possessing marijuana. An estimated 80 percent of those arrested were age 29 or younger.

Since 1990, annual marijuana possession arrests of youth of color in California have risen from 3,100 to over 16,000 — an increase that is about three times greater than the group’s population growth.

Alice Huffman, President of the California State Conference of the NAACP stated: “We have empirical proof that the application of the marijuana laws has been unfairly applied to young people of color. … We are joining a growing number of medical professionals, labor organizations, law enforcement authorities, local municipalities, and approximately 56% of the public, in saying that it is time to (depenalize) the [adult] use of marijuana.”

In 2008, police in California made over 61,000 arrests for marijuana possession offenses, a criminal misdemeanor. Law enforcement made over 17,000 additional arrests for marijuana felony violations – a category that includes personal cultivation of even a single plant.

View Comments

2. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    for a state going broke, arresting 61,000 for something less harmful than beer is a disgrace.

3. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    I'm with the brothas on this.

4. Gremlin-USA

Gremlin-USA <<< Me in 1970

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Good for the NAACP

I do not smoke it, but I think Pot is less harmful overall than Alcohol

5. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    You know what you never read about?

Stoned Man Hospitalizes Wife in Domestic Dispute

6. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    It's usually stoned man can only find taco bell open after midnight.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,326

It is ridiculous that we fill our prisons with non-violent offenders

Good for the NAACP

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Gremlin-USA

Gremlin-USA <<< Me in 1970

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I did not say I never smoked it, just have not done so in 25 years!

PS, you can probably find an article about someone drinking alcohol and dying from the first drink, or eating peanuts and dying or eating fish and dying, etc.

The majority of Pot smokers are harmless to themselves and others

nuff said.........

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    It's an application of political discrimination.

</H1>

The man sets up a SCIENTIFC commission to study the issue.

And then what happens?

When he doesn't like what SCIENCE has to tell him?

He sets out to insure that they report something other that what the SCIENCE tells him.

Poltically motivated?

You betcha.

And this is, in part at least, one of the reasons that I think my liberal chums are nothing but cowardly tools.

Where is the so called LIBERALS on this issue?

They're not merely hiding in the bushes, they're actively ignoring the science, too.

It might surprise SOME OF you to learn that more people were incarcerated for marijuan under CLINTON than any previous POTUS.

The DEMS?

The Dems aren't worth a shit, either, folks.

Quislings and cowards and hypocrites, all they fucking care about is being in office so they can assist is the RAPE of this nation.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    And I thought I couldn't think less of Nixon. The birth of the republiklans