Myth: 46 to 50 million uninsured

you wrote:"Fact: Anyone who reports that there are more than 46 million uninsured is exaggerating since the Census Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured at 45,657,000 people puts the number of uninsured at 45,657,000 people."
Where did you get that number?
Per the U.S. Census Bureau and please I ask all of you go to this site and VERIFY!!!
Newsroom: Income & Wealth: Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2010

The Census Bureau's own numbers show 15.5 million are uninsured.
The Census there are 198.4 million covered under private insurance
The Census says 96.1 million covered by government, Medicare/Medicaid..
Added together equals =294.5 million people covered.

How many American citizens counted recently?310.0 million Americans
Subtracting Americans that are insured -294.5 million with insurance
Leaves a total of 15.5 million uninsured.
Not 46 million! Not 50 million!
Then again why are we counting 5.4 million kids that for ALL they have to do is have their parents register.. no money. NO costs.. REGISTER they are covered!
That leaves 10 million "uninsured".. BUT WAIT...
The same Census says 9.9 million people who said they "weren't insured" ARE NOT AMERICANS!!!

How complicated is that simple arithmetic..

You are just plain full-of-shit!
The US Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured at 46.3 million people in 2008. That represented 15.4% of the population. You seemed to have taken the 15.4 percentage number and used it for the total uninsured! :lol:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2009pubs/p60-236.pdf

I love these moral equivalences the right wingnuts use to excuse any number of things. I only beat my wife and kids once a month so that's OK. Only a few thousand died ain't that great. Poverty figure are exaggerated, how nice. Only millions without healthcare. Is there any wonder they fail when given the reigns of governance? Sad bunch of relativistic excuse makers. Sit on your hands wingnuts you do that so well.

IDIOT! , yet that would only lower costs by a mere 2%**.
Malpractice insurance isn't the issue!
Do you comprehend the FACTS that 90% of doctors agree that over $600 billion a year is spent on defensive medicine out of fear of lawsuits!
$600 billion is 25% of all health care expenditures -- done unnecessarily!
Done out of FEAR of lawsuits!
Cut $200 billion and you are reducing insurance costs is a total well know fact!

You really aren't doing a very good job defining your case. Care to share your links?
The numbers I used are from the non-partisan CBO (which I linked). And to further enhance this argument I found a wonderful site that states the pro vs con side of the argument. Interestingly, the "pro" side is all from right leaning partisans, where as the "con's" are from non-partisan experts, including those from the medical and health care insurance industry.

"The WellPoint Institute of Health Care Knowledge stated the following in its May 2009 research report "What's Really Driving the Increase in Health Care Premiums?," available at WellPoint - Health. Care. Value.
"Despite the common belief that costs increase due to excess insurer profits, the aging of America and the high cost of medical malpractice, these factors have little if any impact on health care premiums...
Medical malpractice is not a major driver of spending trends. Premiums for liability coverage and defensive medicine contribute to health spending at any moment in time but are not considered a recent significant factor in the overall growth of health care spending. Put another way, tort reform would lower health insurance premiums but medical malpractice is not currently driving the rate of increase."

Would medical malpractice reform (tort reform) significantly reduce the cost of health care? - Health Care Reform - ProCon.org

Fact check time.

Fact: more than 40mm Americans are without health insurance.

Fact: the GOP congresses with Clinton and Bush from 1994 to 2006 could have fixed this thing but threw it out the window.

Fact: good American health is necessary for a good economy and a sound society.

Fact: we have to fix this now, and the GOP has shown no desire to do so.

Fact check time.

Fact: more than 40mm Americans are without health insurance.

Fact: the GOP congresses with Clinton and Bush from 1994 to 2006 could have fixed this thing but threw it out the window.

Fact: good American health is necessary for a good economy and a sound society.

Fact: we have to fix this now, and the GOP has shown no desire to do so.

Fact- your change of avatar has not helped you out of the chuck hole of blithering cluelessness and strawman construction, to bad. try another one.

you wrote: he US Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured at 46.3 million people in 2008. That represented 15.4% of the population. You seemed to have taken the 15.4"percentage number and used it for the total uninsured!

Can you do simple math? I can!
Newsroom: Income & Wealth: Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2010
198.4 million covered under private insurance
+ 96.1 million covered by government, Medicare/Medicaid..
294.5 million people covered.
Now if you can follow this: How many Americans in the USA in 2010?
310.0 million Americans!
When you subtract 294.5 million people covered (PER THE CENSUS !!!)
That leaves ... MY math shows 15.5 million uninsured.!
Then the same Census says of the 15.5 million they calculate after subtracting those with insurance 9.9 million that say they have no insurance BECAUSE THEY are NOT citizens! That leaves less then 5 million!!!
Do the math for once!

you wrote: he US Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured at 46.3 million people in 2008. That represented 15.4% of the population. You seemed to have taken the 15.4"percentage number and used it for the total uninsured!

310.0 million Americans!
Then the same Census says of the 15.5 million they calculate after subtracting those with insurance 9.9 million that say they have no insurance BECAUSE THEY are NOT citizens! That leaves less then 5 million!!!
Do the math for once!

If you would of read the actual report which I linked, you would have read:

What Is Health Insurance Coverage?
The Annual Social and Economic Supplement (ASEC) to the Current
Population Survey (CPS) asks about health insurance coverage in the previous calendar year. The survey asks separate questions about the major
types of health insurance. People who answer “no” to each of the coverage
questions are then asked to verify that they were, in fact, not covered by
any type of health insurance. For reporting purposes, the Census Bureau
broadly classifies health insurance coverage as private coverage or government coverage.
Private health insurance is a plan provided through an
employer or a union or purchased by an individual from a private company.
Government health insurance includes such federal programs as Medicare,
Medicaid, and military health care; the Children’s Health Insurance Program
(CHIP); and individual state health plans.*
People were considered “insured”
if they were covered by any type of health insurance for part or all of the
previous calendar year. They were considered “uninsured” if, for the entire
year, they were not covered by any type of health insurance.
20 Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2008

In other words, those on governmental programs are already included in the numbers for the insured, you can't add them to your insured numbers again!
So, you claimed 46 million was overstated as being uninsured per the Census Bureau and you were wrong. Then you added people insured into the total insured census and they had been already factually included in the Census Bureau Report. And those people's inclusion was specifically noted in the report!
The premise of this thread was intellectually and factually, a bit of misinformation.

310.0 million Americans!
Do the math for once!

If you would of read the actual report which I linked, you would have read:

What Is Health Insurance Coverage?
The Annual Social and Economic Supplement (ASEC) to the Current
Population Survey (CPS) asks about health insurance coverage in the previous calendar year. The survey asks separate questions about the major
types of health insurance. People who answer “no” to each of the coverage
questions are then asked to verify that they were, in fact, not covered by
any type of health insurance. For reporting purposes, the Census Bureau
broadly classifies health insurance coverage as private coverage or government coverage.
Private health insurance is a plan provided through an
employer or a union or purchased by an individual from a private company.
Government health insurance includes such federal programs as Medicare,
Medicaid, and military health care; the Children’s Health Insurance Program
(CHIP); and individual state health plans.*
People were considered “insured”
if they were covered by any type of health insurance for part or all of the
previous calendar year. They were considered “uninsured” if, for the entire
year, they were not covered by any type of health insurance.
20 Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2008

In other words, those on governmental programs are already included in the numbers for the insured, you can't add them to your insured numbers again!
So, you claimed 46 million was overstated as being uninsured per the Census Bureau and you were wrong. Then you added people insured into the total insured census and they had been already factually included in the Census Bureau Report. And those people's inclusion was specifically noted in the report!
The premise of this thread was intellectually and factually, a bit of misinformation.

The premise of the thead? I suppose it was to defend insurance companies; I suspect the OP author is a mail clerk for United Health Care.

Forum List

Back