My Understanding of Buddhism

The very first truth "Life is suffering" is what turns me away from Buddhism.

Sometimes you suffer, sometimes you do not.

Since a conception of life is suppose to be the first truth, I claim that a pertinent truth is
"Life is what you want it to be."

You can't simply look at that one truth by itself, however. The Buddha said that there is suffering in life, but there is also a way to end that suffering. The Four Noble Truths must be taken as a whole.

I can't believe we're actually discussing the Buddha's teachings here. Wow.

The FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS are

1) Life is suffering

:clap2: +
1.gif

2) The cause of suffering is desire for what you want

baaaaaa....

The cause of suffering is a fallen world through the sin of one man Adam.

3) There is a way to stop this suffering

yep....he's gonna get it... he's gonna get it....

4) The way is the eightfold path

Sorry. Wrong answer.

There is only ONE way and that is through the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ. The life of the flesh is in the blood and therefore in order to redeem ourselves from the curse of the first Adam's bloodline we must accept the blood shed for our sins by the Son of God who is the lamb without sin. It is the ONLY way to fix the mess.

Noooooo...don't touch that....

1) Right understanding
2) Right thinking
3) Right Speech
4) Right attitude
5) Right livelihood
6) Right effort
7) Right mindfulness
8) Right concentration

fall-of-man-titian.jpg

...T..r...e..e!!!!!

Uhgg... looks like I was too late.

Affirming Faith in Mind is very close to my understanding of Buddhism. It is by letting things be as they are that frees us from suffering. By letting things be as they are we are freed from ego suffering. Right thought and action corrects the world also. You and the world are not separate. Just say it is not two different things. You, and I and the world are not separate. Quantum mechanics is a science that tells the same tell. May we find the root of suffering? Our change in heart will bring about peace. Alice Miller wrote a book called FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, HIDDEN CRUELTY IN CHILD REARING AND THE ROOTS OF VIOLENCE. She also agrees with truth.

There is only one change in heart that can bring about peace and that is a turning of ones heart to Jesus Christ. Anything else is purly our attempts to attain godship through our own works which are as... I'll give a hint. See if you can solve this puzzle.

and all our righteousness are as a???

wheel+of+fortune+2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, yes. Both come from China, and, both are used by Zen students (Zen includes Buddhist and Taoist beliefs).

The I Ching is an oracle which uses 3 coins to tell the future via hexagrams.

The Tao Te Ching is a book written by Lao Tzu that uses around 80 verses to explain all of life.

Interestingly enough, practice Tao long enough, and you'll see the concept of balance, and when you get that down, it will be almost impossible for anyone to lie to you.

Tao teaches you to look at the light and dark of a situation. That's why their symbol is the yin-yang symbol.

I figured I bought the wrong book.

I couldn't make heads or tails out of I Ching.

I'll check it out--The Tao Te Ching.

When I was a younger man, I probably read The Tao Te Ching at least 100 times. I even created a massive reference guide for myself that compared the various verses in the book with each other and in other religious books. Great book.

then you stopped doing dope?

Amrchaos, I'd recommend The Tao Te Ching by Lao-Tzu, as translated by Red Pine.

You may find some stuff there you like quite a bit.

Is it related to I Ching?

I own a copy of I Ching.

Actually, yes. Both come from China, and, both are used by Zen students (Zen includes Buddhist and Taoist beliefs).

The I Ching is an oracle which uses 3 coins to tell the future via hexagrams.

The Tao Te Ching is a book written by Lao Tzu that uses around 80 verses to explain all of life.

Interestingly enough, practice Tao long enough, and you'll see the concept of balance, and when you get that down, it will be almost impossible for anyone to lie to you.

Tao teaches you to look at the light and dark of a situation. That's why their symbol is the yin-yang symbol.

not bad. :eusa_whistle:

not bad at all.

1) Life is suffering

1.gif

baaaaaa....

Sorry. Wrong answer.

There is only ONE way and that is through the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ. The life of the flesh is in the blood and therefore in order to redeem ourselves from the curse of the first Adam's bloodline we must accept the blood shed for our sins by the Son of God who is the lamb without sin. It is the ONLY way to fix the mess.

1) Right understanding
2) Right thinking
3) Right Speech
4) Right attitude
5) Right livelihood
6) Right effort
7) Right mindfulness
8) Right concentration

fall-of-man-titian.jpg

...T..r...e..e!!!!!

Affirming Faith in Mind is very close to my understanding of Buddhism. It is by letting things be as they are that frees us from suffering. By letting things be as they are we are freed from ego suffering. Right thought and action corrects the world also. You and the world are not separate. Just say it is not two different things. You, and I and the world are not separate. Quantum mechanics is a science that tells the same tell. May we find the root of suffering? Our change in heart will bring about peace. Alice Miller wrote a book called FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, HIDDEN CRUELTY IN CHILD REARING AND THE ROOTS OF VIOLENCE. She also agrees with truth.

There is only one change in heart that can bring about peace and that is a turning of ones heart to Jesus Christ. Anything else is purly our attempts to attain godship through our own works which are as... I'll give a hint. See if you can solve this puzzle.

wheel+of+fortune+2.jpg

Yo.......the Slight (I call you that because you seem to be a person of little intelligence), wanna 'splain that bullshit about only one way to God?

Lemmie ask ya something.........

Would you like living in a town where the floor plan of EVERY HOUSE IN THE CITY was the same as yours, with everyone driving around in the same 4 door sedan (white), with the exact same stuff as everyone else?

That would be a world of monstrosities.

Additionally, where is it that you learn the most, from those that believe exactly as you do, or those that DON'T believe as you do, resulting in a change of perspective which results in you seeing something in a bit different light?

If anything else is P-U-R-E-L-Y us trying to achieve Godship via our own works (learn to spell by the way, it will help with your argument), then what is Judaism?

Careful how you answer that.

Yes, it's a right wing position, but, in order to be a true right winger, you've got to have a strong attachment to money (keep your taxes off my check), as well as a strong attachment to your things, with little or no desire to share.

Can you imagine John Ensign as a Buddhist?

By the way Sky, Tiger Woods is golfing again and claims that he's a Buddhist and in his canned apology stated that he'd left his beliefs in pursuit of other things.

I then heard his press conference this week, and he still has not very much humility.

Do you think Tiger can get back on the path or not?

No. You just have to have a strong attachment to freedom and not stealing from people.

The very first truth "Life is suffering" is what turns me away from Buddhism.

Sometimes you suffer, sometimes you do not.

Since a conception of life is suppose to be the first truth, I claim that a pertinent truth is
"Life is what you want it to be."

But life isn't what you want it to be. If it was everyone would be happy with it.

1) Life is suffering

1.gif

baaaaaa....

Sorry. Wrong answer.

fall-of-man-titian.jpg

...T..r...e..e!!!!!

wheel+of+fortune+2.jpg

Yo.......the Slight (I call you that because you seem to be a person of little intelligence), wanna 'splain that bullshit about only one way to God?

Lemmie ask ya something.........

Would you like living in a town where the floor plan of EVERY HOUSE IN THE CITY was the same as yours, with everyone driving around in the same 4 door sedan (white), with the exact same stuff as everyone else?

That would be a world of monstrosities.

Additionally, where is it that you learn the most, from those that believe exactly as you do, or those that DON'T believe as you do, resulting in a change of perspective which results in you seeing something in a bit different light?

If anything else is P-U-R-E-L-Y us trying to achieve Godship via our own works (learn to spell by the way, it will help with your argument), then what is Judaism?

Careful how you answer that.

Do you have a prejudice against people living in master planned communities? If so, you should really consider putting away your prejudice and coexist with them. That is, unless you feel Slighted.:lol:

Isn't "lemmie" suppose to be spelled L-E-T M-E??? and it is not propper to use "ya" either. ;)

Master planned communities?

Who is the Master and who is the planner, and who are the serfs? If any of the people planning your community have belly buttons, chances are, they're not going to work.

Want to see a real time demonstration of what a master planned community looks like? Check the GOP.

Then ponder the fact that even Reagan (their greatest deity), couldn't pass the test that they now consider for a good candidate.

Yeah. Try again.

Douchenozzle.

What do planned communities have to do with Buddhism? I must have gotten lost someplace.:razz:

The dipstick that calls himself the light is who thinks we should all live in master planned communities, and adhere to just one religion.

I don't think he's Zen friendly.

While Tiger was playing golf, overhead a plane was flying with a sign that asked Tiger if he was still into "Bootyism". No joke, it actually happened.

Whatever Buddhism is, I'm pretty sure Tiger Woods doesn't practice it.

Just sayin'.

Whatever Buddhism is, I'm pretty sure Tiger Woods doesn't practice it.

Just sayin'.

Really? You don't know what it is, yet you're pretty sure that Tiger Woods doesn't practice it?

Ignorance about Buddhism is no way to judge if someone is Buddhist or not.

Just sayin'.

Like I said, you're not an uppity water nymph, you're a disgruntled soggy gnome.

1) Right understanding
2) Right thinking
3) Right Speech
4) Right attitude
5) Right livelihood
6) Right effort
7) Right mindfulness
8) Right concentration

So you're a member of the GOP?

Wait a minute..........there is no fucking way that a right winger could ever be a Buddhist.

Why? The greedy fucks are too attached to PMS (power, money, sex), to understand that their actions have consequences on more than just them.

Buddhists practice NON attachment.

*whoooooosh*

1) Life is suffering
3) There is a way to stop this suffering
4) The way is the eightfold path

1) Right understanding
2) Right thinking
3) Right Speech
4) Right attitude
5) Right livelihood
6) Right effort
7) Right mindfulness
8) Right concentration

Interesting, doesn't there have to be some cruelty in child rearing? The world is a harsh place and some children just don't listen...and time out is of little consequence, as are taking away privileges. What is hidden cruelty and how does one avoid it?

It would be even more cruel to protect them from everything until they're 18, and then send them out into the world unprepared.

Think of a teenager running away from Kansas and ending up in NYC or LA.

So you're a member of the GOP?

Wait a minute..........there is no fucking way that a right winger could ever be a Buddhist.

Why? The greedy fucks are too attached to PMS (power, money, sex), to understand that their actions have consequences on more than just them.

Buddhists practice NON attachment.

You can definitely have Buddhists who are anti-abortion. That's a right wing position.

No it isn't...it's lip service only.

Forum List

Back