My thoughts on the pledge of allegiance

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ihopehefails, Oct 30, 2009.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I know this is going to be misunderstood as being anti-American and I really don't blame people for thinking that considering all the liberal flag burners in this country but I really don't agree with the pledge of allegiance as a concept. I think that its really a disguised loyalty oath that makes us swear a pledge to the government or why would they put "to the republic for which it stands". Why can't it be something like I pledge allegiance to the flag (symbol of our country) and to freedom and justice for all where we will be pledging to our nation and our fellow citizens and not to our government.

None of us makes pledges to the state or city governments. There is not even a pledge for our own states but the federal government has its own pledge. What if I really don't want to pledge allegiance to our country? Don't have the right to do that and still be here?

I expect to get a lot of flack from conservatives and I also think a lot of liberals will be cheering because there is a fellow USA hater but that is not the case. I actually like being an American who lives in a free society but I'm questioning the purpose of the pledge of allegiance.

2. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Nah....your points are valid as an opinion...and you are entitled to them. I disagree as I see it strictly as a pledge to our country (represented by the flag)....and the rest of it is based on the culture of the time when it was written...and is now more of a tradition.

I see your point....I disagree with you wholeheartedly....but it is well thought out and not worthy of disdain by those with an open mind to others opinion.

But I agree with one thing....it may stir up a hornets nest!

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    How about getting some flack from the English majors who are appalled at your lack of basic language mastery?

1) The Pledge of Allegiance is not a "disguised loyalty oath". There's nothing "disguised" about it. The very words, "Pledge of Allegiance" MEAN "Oath of Loyalty". So what? You have a problem with swearing loyalty to things?

2) The phrase ". . . and to the republic for which it stands" does not refer to the government. Please contemplate the words ". . . for which it stands". The "it" would be the flag. Does the flag stand for the government? Or does it stand for the nation as a whole? Hello? Am I ringing any bells here?

3) The purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance is a tough one. That purpose is . . .wait for it . . . for you to PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG AND THE NATION IT STANDS FOR. Duh. And since this is a free country, if you don't wish to swear your loyalty to it, feel free not to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,949
    I agree with your point in the top part, and then you go and spoil it by putting that sentence in. Are you really so self-involved that anyone who disagrees with you hates America? Has a liberal ever told you that they hate America? Or did you just need to make sure no one thought you were a liberal in this post?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    TC is ignorant. It has nothing to do with the government, it is allegiance to the flag and the republic, the republic representing the PEOPLE. Idiot.

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,720
    I have read your post several times. The one sentence that strikes out at me is your words, "What if I really don't want to pledge allegiance to our country?" My answer to that is maybe you should move to where ever it is that you could swear an allegiance to. When I think about your attitude, I wonder if we ever went into another conflict such as WWII, how supportive would you be of the United States? People like you worry me. I think your attitude is in line with the feelings of way too many people in this country. More and more every day there is a rising lack of respect for God. There is also a rising lack of respect for the United States. Where does all of this end? In my humble opinion, people's rejection of God and the rejection of the belief in the core principals of which founded our country is one of the biggest problems we face in America. It's a shame. I also feel that if you don't love America enough to swear an allegiance to it you should feel a degree of shame too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  7. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    The lack of pledge for States and the word Indivisible are the hidden propaganda in the pledge of allegiance. I would expect liberals to be all about the pledge as it deters the people of the states from considering secession, but you are right the liberals do no support the pledge of allegiance.
    Liberals don't Hate the US; they have a vision which is fr different from the conservatives. Conservatives tend outnumber liberals in any society which is prosperous. So some liberals may secretly wish for the US to be less prosperous to get more numbers to their banner. Look how well the carefully timed "release" of the banking collapse information worked in turning the 08 election around.

8. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    No but after seeing how much liberals literally went into a hissy-fit over Bush and spend most of their time reciting how much of American history is filled with Americans doing evil I can't think of anything else than they hate America. I have also noticed how many leftist claimed that "blowback" was the reason why 911 happen and therefore it was justified and I have also noticed how often the left sides with other people in other nations who hate America.

9. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    There is a huge difference in being loyal to your own country and being loyal to the government that happens to hold all legal authority at the time. Think of all the people who lived under Saddam who loved Iraq but hated the government or people who loved germany but chose not to be loyal to the NAZI government. Not that I am comparing our government to a NAZI government but the point is that being loyal to ones country doesn't always mean being loyal to the government which is my complaint about the pledge of allegience.

10. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    No I actually think swearing loyalty to something is quite healthy such as joining the military. In that situation a loyalty oath is quite appropriate as people will be called to defend their country but people living in a state of freedom shouldn't really be required to pledge their loyalty to anything unless loyalty is needed.