My Printer Isn't Working - Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by George Costanza, Jun 28, 2010.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    We are operating two computers on a wireless network. In between the two computers sits a router (wireless) and a printer. Either computer can use the printer because the printer is shared between them via the wireless network.

All of a sudden, I can no longer use the printer. My wife's computer can - mine cannot. When I try to print anything from any program, I get "Failure to initialize output device" or something like that.

I am running Vista Home. I know how to get into the network settings via the Control Panel. I have been trying everything I can think of to get the printer working, but so far no luck. I am wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me a hint or two.

I compared the network settings on my wife's computer to those on mine. One difference I noted was that in the settings screen, "password sharing" was not checked and it was checked on mine. So I unchecked password sharing on my computer, thinking that was the difference. It wasn't.

Everything has been going along just fine for the past year or so - then, all of a sudden, my printer became unconnected from the network. I need to get that little bad boy reconnected, so I can resume operations.

Help!!!!

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,418
    You may want to re-boot the router by unplugging it for a few moments. But don't quote me on it LOL.

3. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I didn't try that - I will. When I try to print something and I get that screen that you hit to start the printer, I can see that the settings appear to be totally correct, i.e., the default printer for my word processing program is the same as the default printer for my wife's computer and, as I mentioned, she can print just fine on her computer.

I tried rebooting my computer, several times. That had no effect. I will reboot the router when I get home. Thank you.

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    We've had similar a experience. Try unplugging and replugging the printer and all the cables . . . sometimes it's just a loose connection. When this has happened to us, if the problem wasn't a loose plug or something and everything else seemed as it should, we uninstalled then reinstalled the printer and that fixed the problem. Good luck.

5. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Here...this should help....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5orss3fAEU]YouTube - Office Space: Printer Smash. None Better.[/ame]

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    When all else fails George, kick the printer and the router :lol:

Other then whats been already said, reboots of everything and unplugging of everything i don't know.

Maybe a group hug? :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    The only thing that is not working on the network is the printer on my computer. You can print from my wife's compluter. Both computers have Internet access. This inidicates to me that rebooting of the router might not be necessary.

Thoughts?

8. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    After you glue it back together....:lol: reinstall the printer on the machine it won't print from...see if it even shows up in your available printers window. Click on printers and faxes...see what shows up

9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You should uninstall and then reinstall the printer on your computer, making sure that your driver is up to date. It sounds to me like the driver got corrupted on your computer. Nothing to worry about unless it happens again.

10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,500
    Also check your firewall settings, especially if you just did an update. Make sure your printer is authorized.