Noticeable slowdown of typed input:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Beginning tonight (6/29) I've noticed a significant slowing of typed input, whether composing a new message or replying to an existing message. The effect is the same as that caused by a keylogger. It happense only in this forum. Nowhere else.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Disregard the above (slowdown) message.

I just logged on from another computer and the problem doesn't appear there, so there evidently is some external keylogger accessing this computer.

It is slow everynight around the same time. They do site maintenance or something.

Disregard the above (slowdown) message.

I just logged on from another computer and the problem doesn't appear there, so there evidently is some external keylogger accessing this computer.

Just HSA keeping you safe from yourself, no doubt.

They're just monitoring your every keystroke such that when it is finally apparent that you are becoming a threat to society, they can step in to give your the benefit of the psychological reconditioning in store for all we malcontents.

Or as Firesign theater referred to the process -- you're going to need some REGROOVING

It is slow everynight around the same time. They do site maintenance or something.
That thought occurred to me but nothing was affected except typed input. So I exited here, went to a different forum and found the same problem. Then I shut this computer down and logged on here with a different computer. No problem. Then I went back to this computer and the problem was gone.

I'm not paranoid but I'm convinced the behavior I saw was a key-logger parasite, which means there probably is a Trojan Horse in my system. Which in turn means it could be a vestige of the destructive virus I had to deal with a few weeks back.

Yeah I have the same issue, randomly, on separate computers. I have checked for malware but none has been found. Besides it only happens on the USMB, not on any other site.

Yeah I have the same issue, randomly, on separate computers. I have checked for malware but none has been found. Besides it only happens on the USMB, not on any other site.
I had just come from another forum to USMB when this happened, causing me to mistakenly think it was happening only here. But when I exited here and went to a different forum it was happening there, too.

So I shut this computer down and went to a different computer. I logged on to USMB and everything was normal. Then I came back to this computer, logged onto USMB and things were back to normal.

So in my experience the problem was not confined to USMB.

To summarize; the specific symptom was a noticeable slowing of typed input.

When backspacing to erase text the response was extremely slow, taking almost a full second to erase each character.

When normally batch erasing you anchor with the left-click and drag over the target area, which instantly is highlighted as you drag. During the slowed symptoms, dragging over the target area had no immediate effect. But after releasing the left-click anchor the target area highlighted after about two seconds.

These symptoms are identical to the effects of a remote key-logger attack.

Are these the same symptoms you experienced?

Last edited:
I had just come from another forum to USMB when this happened, causing me to mistakenly think it was happening only here. But when I exited here and went to a different forum it was happening there, too.

So I shut this computer down and went to a different computer. I logged on to USMB and everything was normal. Then I came back to this computer, logged onto USMB and things were back to normal.

So in my experience the problem was not confined to USMB.

To summarize; the specific symptom was a noticeable slowing of typed input.

When backspacing to erase text the response was extremely slow, taking almost a full second to erase each character.

When normally batch erasing you anchor with the left-click and drag over the target area, which instantly is highlighted as you drag. During the slowed symptoms, dragging over the target area had no immediate effect. But after releasing the left-click anchor the target area highlighted after about two seconds.

These symptoms are identical to the effects of a remote key-logger attack.

Are these the same symptoms you experienced?

Yup sounds like you've been hit. While the USMB slows randomly on my computer it's not affecting typing or highlighting. Also I don't have a problem with other sites but this is the only forum I patronize.

Any decent firewall, including the built in windows firewall , will prevent such an attack. I think it's more likely that your keyboard is going bad.

Any decent firewall, including the built in windows firewall , will prevent such an attack. I think it's more likely that your keyboard is going bad.

"When normally batch erasing you anchor with the left-click and drag over the target area, which instantly is highlighted as you drag. During the slowed symptoms, dragging over the target area had no immediate effect. But after releasing the left-click anchor the target area highlighted after about two seconds."

If it was the keyboard, which I am certain it wasn't, the above would suggest that the mouse is going bad, too.

"When normally batch erasing you anchor with the left-click and drag over the target area, which instantly is highlighted as you drag. During the slowed symptoms, dragging over the target area had no immediate effect. But after releasing the left-click anchor the target area highlighted after about two seconds."

If it was the keyboard, which I am certain it wasn't, the above would suggest that the mouse is going bad, too.

There is one other potential. The problem might be in the printer itself, a component might have gone bad.

Don't let Gunny hear you saying something like that. He will verbally disembowel you and, after that, it will get REALLY nasty.

Don't let Gunny hear you saying something like that. He will verbally disembowel you and, after that, it will get REALLY nasty.

It's true. Happens on most computers I use whether Windows or Linux OS is running.

There is one other potential. The problem might be in the printer itself, a component might have gone bad.
No printer involved. Just keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Forum List

Back