My Objection to Religion

Wow. This thread's still going.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would take the 'last word' they had and walk away?

So much easier to force a close than complain about 'mods.'

ErikViking, Eightball and I have been having a good conversation lately. Some others have interjected BS comments more recently, however. Care for me to list them?

Not really, why don't you 'ignore them?' Instead of egging it on? You are right about Erik and 8 ball, should be a good conversation.

Not really, why don't you 'ignore them?' Instead of egging it on? You are right about Erik and 8 ball, should be a good conversation.
I do ignore some. But I'm not going to ignore someone who insults my wife. Sorry Sweetcheeks, but that crap gets my Irish all up. And the only thing that tempers my Irish is my German.

I do ignore some. But I'm not going to ignore someone who insults my wife. Sorry Sweetcheeks, but that crap gets my Irish all up. And the only thing that tempers my Irish is my German.

Then again, you could consider the source and circumstance. But whatever.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would take the 'last word' they had and walk away?

So much easier to force a close than complain about 'mods.'
Well, I will try then. :)

1. Common to insult a man's wife? It's only happened twice in my life, and both times by the same dweeb.
2. How else would you interpret "2:193 And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."?

1. I don't know if the particular insult is common or not. But it is quite common for religous debate to get out of hand. Muslim debaters or not. You have witnessed of it twice.

2. I think some Muslim believer might explain to you how that text came to be (context) and how it does not mean he wants to fight you. I can't. I can't hardy explain some things from "my" holy Book.

Closing with an open mind.

1. I don't know if the particular insult is common or not. But it is quite common for religous debate to get out of hand. Muslim debaters or not. You have witnessed of it twice.

2. I think some Muslim believer might explain to you how that text came to be (context) and how it does not mean he wants to fight you. I can't. I can't hardy explain some things from "my" holy Book.

Closing with an open mind.

1. We appear to be talking about two different things. The insults I refer to were completely outside of the topic conversation.
2. Until that happens I have my opinion based on my current knowledge. My Faith, however, will never change.

I did. Can you justify a man insulting another's wife?

We seem to insult our ex-President's wife all the time. Granted she usually deserves it and he wouldnt know the first thing about honor. But yeah I can justify an insult if she did something that warranted it. Not in all circumstances though.

We seem to insult our ex-President's wife all the time. Granted she usually deserves it and he wouldnt know the first thing about honor. But yeah I can justify an insult if she did something that warranted it. Not in all circumstances though.
You are comparing a political figure that interjects her views on the populace with a private person who has never posted on this board, and who no one here has ever met. Do you think that is a legitimate comparison? :confused:

Honor is never a sin.

Honor is one of those things that gets defined differently by every individual.

What is one person's honor, might be interpretted by another person as a disgrace, or a failure.
Sin? Well, biblically defined, that's violating God's law/s for mankind........Ten, such, were delivered by the Patriarch, Moses himself. If honor is based on sinlessness, then no human being is deserving of honor, as we've all fallen miserably from the "mark".
What might be one man's honor can actually be another man's disgrace.

I.E... A soldier might not want to be honored for service as he looks back on his service. Not that honor isn't due, but maybe there are regrets.

I've met many war veterans, and the subject of "honor" is a hard one for them. They had to do many distasteful things in support/defending their country, and don't always feel comfortable in being honored, yet they were called to defend the Constitution, and this country, and we stayed home and they did the rough, dirty stuff for our freedoms to be maintained.

I respect and honor these folks, but the folks in the jungles and in the trenches, endured and had to do things that weren't easy, or pretty at times. They do deserve honor, but sometimes it's hard to accept those accolades to oneself.

A man jumps in a lake to save a drowning person, but fails. He's honored for his life saving attempt, but it didn't work out. Does he feel like accepting the honor of the attempt? Maybe, maybe not. Do they deserve honor for trying? I think so.
I think we all believe in honor. It's always best to let other's bestow it on us, and not endow ourselves with it.

Live a good, ethical life, contribute to your society in a positive, uplifting way, be a good parent, son or daughter, and let the accolades fall to you if they do.
Ultimately, as a Christian, the greatest honor must be given to the One that has given me a second chance, and that chance was not based on my merit or honor.

14 entries found for honor.

1 a : good name or public esteem : REPUTATION b : a showing of usually merited respect : RECOGNITION <pay honor to our founder>
2 : PRIVILEGE <had the honor of joining the captain for dinner>
3 : a person of superior standing -- now used especially as a title for a holder of high office <if Your Honor please>
4 : one whose worth brings respect or fame : CREDIT <an honor to the profession>
5 : the center point of the upper half of an armorial escutcheon
6 : an evidence or symbol of distinction: as a : an exalted title or rank b (1) : BADGE, DECORATION (2) : a ceremonial rite or observance <buried with full military honors> c : an award in a contest or field of competition d archaic : a gesture of deference : BOW e plural (1) : an academic distinction conferred on a superior student (2) : a course of study for superior students supplementing or replacing a regular course
7 : CHASTITY, PURITY <fought fiercely for her honor and her life -- Barton Black>
8 a : a keen sense of ethical conduct : INTEGRITY <wouldn't do it as a matter of honor> b : one's word given as a guarantee of performance <on my honor, I will be there>
9 plural : social courtesies or civilities extended by a host <asked her to do the honors>
10 a (1) : an ace, king, queen, jack, or ten especially of the trump suit in bridge (2) : the scoring value of honors held in bridge -- usually used in plural b : the privilege of playing first from the tee in golf
[m-w.com] My intended meaning in bold.

Forum List

Back