My language gripes

Twixt, not in between (fav of mine, actually)
'splain, not explain (another fav of mine)

hopefully, as in "Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow."

Correct: "They hopefully looked forward to the end of the recession."

Last edited:
If one is from NYC anything with a R at the end of it is pronounced with an A, anything with an A at the end is pronounced with an R.
:lol:

Ever since I took the Evelyn Woodhead sped ridin course, my ridin has im-PRO-v'd won-der-FULL-y. I ricommend these Evelyn Woodhed Speed Riddin Course to all my frens out there and you tell 'em that you heard it here first... on Roller Derby

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something." I second Richard Feynman's quote, grammar only makes sense if it makes sense, if it points to something good and real. All the quibbles over words mean noting really, in the end they only point to traditional positions and lock up thought in the same manner political (code) words do.

I hate people who don't speak good english.
So do the Brits, Aussies and Indians.............and pretty much everyone else on the planet these daze.

American.......... 'uh murkin.
Here's a couple now.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmYEVczcBQ]‪Mountain Men‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

hooh boy, not only do we have spellling and grammer cops we now have pronunciation cops on a text only board :D

tomato, tomato see how that works, I hate the way I pronounced the last one.

Last edited:
"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something." I second Richard Feynman's quote, grammar only makes sense if it makes sense, if it points to something good and real. All the quibbles over words mean noting really, in the end they only point to traditional positions and lock up thought in the same manner political (code) words do.

I have issues with people who don't know their own language well. You can tell who paid attention in school and who was goofing off. :lol:

I agree with what you're saying, but only to a point. When a person's grammar and spelling is so bad you can't understand what they're saying...well, that's a problem.

By the way...about that bird. By knowing the name of the bird you can, with the few words that make up that bird's name, paint a clear and precise picture to others who also know the name of that bird. That's kind of nifty, don't you think?

Language IS important. And you may be able to look at the bird and see what it's doing, but if you can't describe it clearly to others you are unable to communicate adequately with your fellow man.

Not to mention you stereotype yourself as a backwards hick in the eyes of others. :eek:

Last edited:
damn langwide puhlice. what they tellin me tawk gud? huh? think there god don't hafta speak like nothin's good enough - know what ahm sayin? no?

Make 'em talk like y'all and maybe they will think like y'all. Is that the idea? Local word pronunciation is what makes Americana great. I have a problem with stoopid people who use the phrase "I was like wow" as a substute for thought.

Forum List

Back