My language gripes

Make 'em talk like y'all and maybe they will think like y'all. Is that the idea? Local word pronunciation is what makes Americana great. I have a problem with stoopid people who use the phrase "I was like wow" as a substute for thought.

The things I don't like aren't really regional differences. They're things like stupid mispronunciations which come seemingly out of nowhere.

Make 'em talk like y'all and maybe they will think like y'all. Is that the idea? Local word pronunciation is what makes Americana great. I have a problem with stoopid people who use the phrase "I was like wow" as a substute for thought.

The things I don't like aren't really regional differences. They're things like stupid mispronunciations which come seemingly out of nowhere.

WhatchameanthereVern?

Here's the deal.
I talk like a very intelligent lady when I am supposed to talk that way. I have respect for others. Those I work with, and those I meet in stores or other places, I don't go around making up stupid shit, so the other person looks at me like I'm on dope or something.
But when I am at home, or around my children...they all say y'all......they know I say YUNZ.
It's not a biggie around friends and family.
I know how to talk proper when needed, and I know when I can goof off.
That's enough for me...I don't care what others think of my made-up or off-the-wall words.

Except every single resident linguist in the U.S. would say YA'LL IS FALSE.

Language is diverse.

pee ess: It's kew-pon.

um, those usually are regional differences.

Here's the deal.
I talk like a very intelligent lady when I am supposed to talk that way. I have respect for others. Those I work with, and those I meet in stores or other places, I don't go around making up stupid shit, so the other person looks at me like I'm on dope or something.
But when I am at home, or around my children...they all say y'all......they know I say YUNZ.
That's enough for me...I don't care what others think of my made-up or off-the-wall words.

It's: "I know how to speak properly when needed..." NOT "I know how to talk proper when needed..."

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :poke:

I don't think anybody objects to a little bit of slang and cute phrases, baby talk and that sort of thing. It gives language some color.

But when people call others "loosers" instead of "losers," I can't help but wonder why they don't know how to spell "losers" properly. I mean, if you're going to go around calling people losers, you really should spell it correctly. :lol:

Last edited:
1. It's "try to", not "try and".

I don't think that's actually a problem. Depends I suppose of what follows and the intention of the author.

Try, standing alone can be one of those verbs where the "You" is implied.

"Try AND" might be describing the command form where the author is telling "You" to do two different things...one of them is to TRY and the other is whatever verb follows.

Last edited:
I hate people who don't speak good english.
So do the Brits, Aussies and Indians.............and pretty much everyone else on the planet these daze.

American.......... 'uh murkin.
Here's a couple now.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmYEVczcBQ]‪Mountain Men‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

You refer to Americans yet post a video showing AUSTRALIAN hillbillies in S. Queensland. I always knew you were a twat!

Yeh. :eusa_eh:

only-lanoguage.jpg

protest-english-excetions.jpg

Why doesn't anyone have WILD peeves?

Are all peeves domestic?

Why won't we let our peeves run free like GOD intended them to be?

FREE THE PEEVES.

Here's the deal.

It's: "I know how to speak properly when needed..." NOT "I know how to talk proper when needed..."

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :poke:

I don't think anybody objects to a little bit of slang and cute phrases, baby talk and that sort of thing. It gives language some color.

But when people call others "loosers" instead of "losers," I can't help but wonder why they don't know how to spell "losers" properly. I mean, if you're going to go around calling people losers, you really should spell it correctly. :lol:

Tis all K....all in fun, but be very careful!
I poke back ~LoL~
:poke:

And then some!
:Boom2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moDPmNUn-lA&feature=related]‪The Two Ronnies - Pismonuncers Unanimous‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

This one grates on my nerves:

People who pronounce chocolate (Correct: "CHAWK-let") as

"CHAHK-lit"

Forum List

Back