My Fellow Atheists, We Aren't Responsible

Seriously, why do you care what others believe or who they believe in?

Because I am fascinated by human behavior.

And because religion has been the cause of a great many human deaths throughout history. It has restrained human advancement, blocked scientific achievements, and has, to this day, asking millions to surrender their mind to faith.

If a sect of individuals invented a pink unicorn to worship, established a society and culture around this pink unicorn, and then proceeded to kill, or convert, or enslave those who did not believe, you would also have something to say.

Now-a-days, we don't have all the killing, but we do have a religious culture that is bogging down human progress and scientific advancement. It's worth saying, "Hey, pink unicorns don't exist, dude."

Because I am fascinated by human behavior.

And because religion has been the cause of a great many human deaths throughout history. It has restrained human advancement, blocked scientific achievements
Nonsense. Pure pablum.

Your childish "not-uh!" is not persuasive. There is a deepseated friction between science and theology with regard to their basic assumptions.

Science represents man’s attempt to systematize aspects of reality into a coherent framework of knowledge. Since science is dedicated to understanding reality, it rests on the premise that reality can be understood.

Theology, on the other hand, is dedicated to the proposition that an important segment of reality (in fact, its ultimate form) is forever unknowable. There are cross-purposes at work here. Science seeks to make reality coherent; theology seeks to convince us that some aspects of reality are incoherent. To the extent that science succeeds, theology dies of strangulation.

And because religion has been the cause of a great many human deaths throughout history. It has restrained human advancement, blocked scientific achievements
Nonsense. Pure pablum.

Your childish "not-uh!" is not persuasive. There is a deepseated friction between science and theology with regard to their basic assumptions.
So what? There is a deep seated friction between reality and fantasy too. This is why we have Batman, Star Trek, Dune, the Bible, the Koran, and every other fictional work.

Why does fiction threaten you so?

You don't understand that you're simply a bigot. How can it not know what it is? Because it's not thinking, only feeling.

Imbecile.

Nonsense. Pure pablum.

So what? There is a deep seated friction between reality and fantasy too. This is why we have Batman, Star Trek, Dune, the Bible, the Koran, and every other fictional work.

You don't understand that you're simply a bigot. How can it not know what it is? Because it's not thinking, only feeling.

Imbecile.

So you're equating religion with fiction? I have no problems with that.

Nonsense. Pure pablum.

Imbecile.

Call me all the names you'd like. It won't help your argument any.

The issue of god is much more crucial than, for example, the issue of flying saucers or other science fiction. While the existence of flying saucers is of immense scientific importance, this controversy has no particular ramifications for epistemology and the efficacy of man’s reason.

But the same is not true of theism.

The existence of a supernatural realm would have profound implications for human reason, and anyone who believes in a supernatural being must also assume certain beliefs concerning the scope and validity of man’s knowledge (whether he is aware of these beliefs or not).

If we make a new discovery in the field of science, this simply provides us with one more piece of knowledge. If we were to somehow discover the existence of a god, however, this is a discovery for which we would pay a tremendous price. Theism offers us a bit of “knowledge” which, if true, would destroy the foundation of all present knowledge by obliterating the naturalistic context within which we comprehend reality. Theism represents an attack on man’s ability to understand the universe.

Imbecile.

Bingo! See? We have no reason to fear each other, and we accept each others beliefs.

Idiot Sticks such as Tetracide give Atheists the bad name we have.

I am not a fan of Dune, but I'm not out there banging on worshipers of it. I'm a big fan of Star Trek and Batman, but you won't see me dressing up like Data or Robin, or making fun of those who do. Same thing with the Bible, the Koran and other ancient novels - It's cool for those who have their love of it and their beliefs, I just happen to be not a fan and it's all good.

But at least I understand what it is.

Imbecile.

The issue of god is much more crucial than, for example, the issue of flying saucers or other science fiction.
No it's not. How many millions were panicked over the "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast premiere?

See? You are not thinking. You are merely regurgitating nonsensical pablum. Like Pavlov's dog, you are conditioned. Your entire mindset is driven by hate, not reason.

Imbecile.

The issue of god is much more crucial than, for example, the issue of flying saucers or other science fiction.
No it's not. How many millions were panicked over the "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast premiere?

See? You are not thinking. You are merely regurgitating nonsensical pablum. Like Pavlov's dog, you are conditioned. Your entire mindset is driven by hate, not reason.

You seem to have only quoted a portion of my post. The remaining part explains why the existence of a supernatural being has human-wide implications, and how Star Trek fiction does not. If you'd like to continue this discussion, I'd ask you to read it and respond to my points.

You seem to have only quoted a portion of my post.
The only part worth replying to. And it wasn't worth it either.

You are not thinking. You are feeling, just like any other religious fundie.

You are regurgitating the same shit that has been a staple of the bigots for decades. You haven't given it even a modicum of thought, just accepted the dogma.

See?

In 5,000 years, idiot... Who's to say Batman or the like, won't be worshiped as a deity? You can't. Because you don't KNOW the future.

You seem to have only quoted a portion of my post.
Read what I post, instead of looking for quotes of your own regurgitated pablum. LEARN.

You are regurgitating the same shit that has been a staple of the bigots for decades. You haven't given it even a modicum of thought, just accepted the dogma.

Did you not reply to the other portion because you did not understand it?

If Batman turned out to exist, it would not dramatically change the human race and the way we think and conceive of the universe.

If God turned out to exist, and that God was a supernatural being residing in a plane of existence beyond our understanding, that would indeed dramatically change the way we have come to understand the universe thus far.

That is why God's existence matters - because it has a real impact whether or not he does.

Last edited:

If Batman turned out to exist
Batman DOES exist, stupid. So does God.

As I explained earlier.

As I explained earlier.
Your latter explanation was insufficient.

You are confusing "Batman" the idea, the printed image on a piece of paper, and "Batman" the living, breathing, tangible superhero. The latter does not exist, the former does.

Theists claim God exists, that he is not just an idea. And his existence represents a threat to our means of knowledge.

Last edited:
The point isn't to share my experiences. The Point is for you to gain your own.

I know there is a God. And I know that my Redeemer lives. But you don't have to take my word for it.

If you would prefer to remain in ignorance. You can choose to do so. You can always pretend that you have no obligation to find out for yourself. But it doesn't change the truth.

The beauty of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that all can come to know God. Everyone can come to know for themselves that Jesus is the Christ. All it takes is an Experiment on the Word.

What do you say to people who have tried your little experiment and came to a different conclusion than you did?

As an atheist I can say open your mind up, Avatar, to the possibility that god is an illusion.

As an atheist why do you even bother to argue about a God?

Seriously, why do you care what others believe or who they believe in?

Insecurities. Why else do people put others down, whatever tool they use to do it, it's always about their own insecurities.

As I explained earlier.
Your latter explanation was insufficient.

You are confusing "Batman" the idea, the printed image on a piece of paper, and "Batman" the living, breathing, tangible superhero. The latter does not exist, the former does.

Theists claim God exists, that he is not just an idea. And his existence represents a threat to our means of knowledge.
I can see now you're a infantile imbecile bigot, not just a plain imbecile bigot.

There IS no "living, breathing, tangible superhero" called Batman, or any other, EXCEPT in the human heart and mind. Created BY man, FOR man, in his own image.

JUST like all deities.

READ:
My Fellow Atheists, We Aren't Responsible
We ARE responsible for making sure we are really Atheists, and not just anti-Christian bigots posing as Atheists.

"God" and "Gods," Jesus, Allah, and other Deities and all related items DO exist, by the way. To deny it is really stupid. Batman exists.... Superman, Captain Kirk, Robot B-9 - in fact ALL fictional characters and their universes exist. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them. All are creations of man, by man and for man, from man's own image. Not the other way around. Religious texts are simply earlier fictional work. "God" exists the same way Batman does - in the human heart and mind.

Once you understand this, you will no longer FEAR religions, Gods, Deities, and the like and will cease to be a bigot.

Nonsense. Pure pablum.

Science represents man’s attempt to systematize aspects of reality into a coherent framework of knowledge. Since science is dedicated to understanding reality, it rests on the premise that reality can be understood.

Theology, on the other hand, is dedicated to the proposition that an important segment of reality (in fact, its ultimate form) is forever unknowable. There are cross-purposes at work here. Science seeks to make reality coherent; theology seeks to convince us that some aspects of reality are incoherent. To the extent that science succeeds, theology dies of strangulation.

Funny that you use the word 'system', where did these natural systems originate? The only reason man's science can make sense out of man's reality is because it is made up of systems. Where did those systems come from?

Nonsense. Pure pablum.

Funny that you use the word 'system', where did these natural systems originate? The only reason man's science can make sense out of man's reality is because it is made up of systems. Where did those systems come from?

Let me guess. An invisible man in the sky?

Imbecile.

RDD, you do realize that the time of Noah and the Ark and the time of "Rex" were separated by millions of years? :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back