My Fellow Atheists, We Aren't Responsible

Your childish "not-uh!" is not persuasive. There is a deepseated friction between science and theology with regard to their basic assumptions.

Science represents man’s attempt to systematize aspects of reality into a coherent framework of knowledge. Since science is dedicated to understanding reality, it rests on the premise that reality can be understood.

Theology, on the other hand, is dedicated to the proposition that an important segment of reality (in fact, its ultimate form) is forever unknowable. There are cross-purposes at work here. Science seeks to make reality coherent; theology seeks to convince us that some aspects of reality are incoherent. To the extent that science succeeds, theology dies of strangulation.

Funny that you use the word 'system', where did these natural systems originate? The only reason man's science can make sense out of man's reality is because it is made up of systems. Where did those systems come from?

Let me guess. An invisible man in the sky?

Let's hear your answer.

So what? There is a deep seated friction between reality and fantasy too. This is why we have Batman, Star Trek, Dune, the Bible, the Koran, and every other fictional work.

Why does fiction threaten you so?

You don't understand that you're simply a bigot. How can it not know what it is? Because it's not thinking, only feeling.

Imbecile.

So you're equating religion with fiction? I have no problems with that.

RDD, you do realize that the time of Noah and the Ark and the time of "Rex" were separated by millions of years? :cuckoo:
And this is why there's no mention of Dinosaurs in the bible, the koran, or any other ancient religious text. Because the men who wrote these, didn't know about them yet and never conceived of them. Like all good writers, they wrote about what they knew and what they could dream up.

(Interesting side note: My Firefox spell check wants me to capitalize "koran" but not "bible." WTF?)

So what? There is a deep seated friction between reality and fantasy too. This is why we have Batman, Star Trek, Dune, the Bible, the Koran, and every other fictional work.

You don't understand that you're simply a bigot. How can it not know what it is? Because it's not thinking, only feeling.

Imbecile.

RDD, you do realize that the time of Noah and the Ark and the time of "Rex" were separated by millions of years? :cuckoo:

Of course! That's why it's funny.

Funny that you use the word 'system', where did these natural systems originate? The only reason man's science can make sense out of man's reality is because it is made up of systems. Where did those systems come from?

Let me guess. An invisible man in the sky?

Let's hear your answer.

I'm going with a purple hippo ballerina created it all. Just as plausible.

Marauder, I understand your point, despite your claims to the contrary. You want me to pack up my atheistic beliefs, and live happily amongst the rest of the world. You want me to respect my position, and the positions of others.

I get it. You don't see a need for conflict on the matter. And, in your opinion, conflict instigated by the atheist represents an unnecessary attack, and I'm sure you believe the opposite to be true. Besides, why attack when you can just live and respect one another? Right?

I however, do see a need to confront claims that, if true, represent a threat to the fundamental means by which a human discovers knowledge - reason.

The concept of God - a being of supernatural characteristics - if in fact exists, represents that threat. This is why I speak out.

Also keep in mind my original post - that it is the theist which makes a claim. The atheist refuses that claim since it rests on no evidence. So when I, as an atheist, speak out against the unsubstantiated claims made by theists, it is not an attack, but a defense.

Human's are still learning about those systems and their origins. However, it violates Occam's Razor to say, "Since we do not know how these systems came into being, God must have created them."

You are extending explanation of the unknown onto something else (in this case, God). When you should not extend explanation of the unknown, until you have further knowledge and evidence.

And this is why there's no mention of Dinosaurs in the bible, the koran, or any other ancient religious text. Because the men who wrote these, didn't know about them yet and never conceived of them. Like all good writers, they wrote about what they knew and what they could dream up.

(Interesting side note: My Firefox spell check wants me to capitalize "koran" but not "bible." WTF?)

There's no specific mention of many animals in the Bible that did exist at that time, but I'm not sure what that has to do with what was specifically mentioned being true or not?

So, you're trying to poke fun at Christians by implying that Rex was left off of the ark whenever Rex didn't exist at the time of the ark? Seems pretty damn stupid if you ask me, but doesn't surprise me that someone like yourself would find it 'funny'. :cuckoo:

Marauder, I understand your point, despite your claims to the contrary. You want me to pack up my atheistic beliefs, and live happily amongst the rest of the world. You want me to respect my position, and the positions of others.

I get it. You don't see a need for conflict on the matter. And, in your opinion, conflict instigated by the atheist represents an unnecessary attack, and I'm sure you believe the opposite to be true. Besides, why attack when you can just live and respect one another? Right?

I however, do see a need to confront claims that, if true, represent a threat to the fundamental means by which a human discovers knowledge - reason.

The concept of God - a being of supernatural characteristics - if in fact exists, represents that threat. This is why I speak out.

Also keep in mind my original post - that it is the theist which makes a claim. The atheist refuses that claim since it rests on no evidence. So when I, as an atheist, speak out against the unsubstantiated claims made by theists, it is not an attack, but a defense.
It took you.... 15 minutes to post that.

And you are WRONG! There is nothing to defend, s0n! You say you understand but then demonstrate why you do NOT!

Does a Batman fan feel compelled to defend why? A ST fan? NO! Because it just is what it fucking IS. True Atheists need not defend their position, the BIGOTS however are always on the defensive. Because they are coming from a BAD position in the debate! Ironically the exact same BAD position the fundies come from!

If people want to believe in Jesus, God, Allah or whatever, that is and should be just fine with you. You should not feel threatened by it, but clearly you do. And the DOGMA about "soooo many people have been killed over religggggion" is just pure stupidity! Mankind is a predator and needs no reason to kill! Never has. He always will be a predator and a killer!

Assigning blame for the killing is always stupid. Man.... will.... kill..... always.... has..... and..... always..... will. It is the nature of the beast. It's not religion, it's human nature.

Let go of the bigotry, s0n - it only makes it apparent that you fear what you truly do not understand....

Human's are still learning about those systems and their origins. However, it violates Occam's Razor to say, "Since we do not know how these systems came into being, God must have created them."

You are extending explanation of the unknown onto something else (in this case, God). When you should not extend explanation of the unknown, until you have further knowledge and evidence.

I'm saying that you haven't a clue as to how they were created yourself, so who are you to tell others what they should theorize on the origins of life and the systems within that keep life going?

There's no specific mention of many animals in the Bible that did exist at that time, but I'm not sure what that has to do with what was specifically mentioned being true or not?
This changes nothing of what I said. Had their existence been known, we assume they would have been written about. Most everything else known to have existed at the time, was. If the religious texts were indeed divinely inspired, surely God would have clued the writers in? Of course.

God couldn't clue them in, because God was a character in the novellas who knew no more or no less than the men who created it. It's like saying J.R. Ewing told the writers who shot him. It didn't work that way.

So, you're trying to poke fun at Christians by implying that Rex was left off of the ark whenever Rex didn't exist at the time of the ark?

Here goes the whole "Christians under attack" thing. Get over yourself. All religion is ridiculous. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Scientology, etc...I just happen to find a funny picture of jesus and a dinosaur. It's funny to me because there are people out there who believe that men were alive at the same time as dinosaurs, which we both seem to know is ridiculous. Typically these views are from creationists who can also be christian fundamentalists. If that's not you, great! But please get over yourself, I have nothing against christians.

Seems pretty damn stupid if you ask me, but doesn't surprise me that someone like yourself would find it 'funny'. :cuckoo:

I actually didn't ask you, but you gave your opinion anyway. Thanks for that I guess.

So, you're trying to poke fun at Christians by implying that Rex was left off of the ark whenever Rex didn't exist at the time of the ark?

Here goes the whole "Christians under attack" thing. Get over yourself. All religion is ridiculous. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Scientology, etc...I just happen to find a funny picture of jesus and a dinosaur. It's funny to me because there are people out there who believe that men were alive at the same time as dinosaurs, which we both seem to know is ridiculous. Typically these views are from creationists who can also be christian fundamentalists. If that's not you, great! But please get over yourself, I have nothing against christians.

Seems pretty damn stupid if you ask me, but doesn't surprise me that someone like yourself would find it 'funny'. :cuckoo:
I actually didn't ask you, but you gave your opinion anyway. Thanks for that I guess.
You're in the same poor strategic position Tetracide finds himself. Completely on the defensive. And for no good reason.

Have you been reading my posts?

Let's hear your answer.

I'm going with a purple hippo ballerina created it all. Just as plausible.

So, you don't have an answer? Yet you'll tell millions of people that their theory is incorrect when you haven't a damn clue yourself. Gotta love it. :lol:

Of course I don't know how it all started, but that doesn't mean I will just stop looking for the answer and just assume it was an invisible man in the sky. Really? Sorry, that doesn't have ANY merit whatsoever. Gotta love that you gave up looking for answers and settled on, "the invisible sky father must have created all of this". Talk about lazy!

Imbecile.

Bingo! See? We have no reason to fear each other, and we accept each others beliefs.

Idiot Sticks such as Tetracide give Atheists the bad name we have.

I am not a fan of Dune, but I'm not out there banging on worshipers of it. I'm a big fan of Star Trek and Batman, but you won't see me dressing up like Data or Robin, or making fun of those who do. Same thing with the Bible, the Koran and other ancient novels - It's cool for those who have their love of it and their beliefs, I just happen to be not a fan and it's all good.

But at least I understand what it is.

How could you not? :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-1qas-CL14]YouTube - Triumph at a Star Wars Convention[/ame]

I'll tell you what... I will come after anti-religion bigots alot harder and alot faster than I would almost any fundie. A bigot is much worse than any person of faith. Because the bigot comes from the worst places, hate and fear.

You're in the same poor strategic position Tetracide finds himself. Completely on the defensive. And for no good reason.

Have you been reading my posts?

I'm in no strategic position, nor do I care to be. We're talking about my avatar which Newby seems to be confused by. I'm trying to sort it out for her. If she get it or not, I don't really care. At least I tried to explain it.

And no I stopped reading your posts a little while back.

Bottom line is you Fundie Athiests aren't happy with allowing those who believe to practice their Constitutional right to do so...

Somehow their faith threatens you and the future of mankind...

How narrow minded of you...

I'll tell you what... I will come after anti-religion bigots alot harder and alot faster than I would almost any fundie. A bigot is much worse than any person of faith. Because the bigot comes from the worst places, hate and fear.

More like comic ridicule.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYYeKI7CO6k]YouTube - Religulous - The redband trailer (exclusive)[/ame]

Forum List

Back