My Class Completely Ignored Me - I’m So Proud of Them

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
A positive class for the last block of the day motivates me to sing the praises of the kids a little.

A positive class for the last block of the day motivates me to sing the praises of the kids a little.

Doing academic work in a second (or third) language is no mean feat. It's a significant challenge, and the students I work with often have other significant challenges on top of that.

What's so good about the students ignoring me is that they were communicating with each other. It's ironic, considering how much time I spend each day getting them to stop talking to each other, but when it comes to directly addressing one another - in English - regarding the class material, most of the students in this class are actually quite reticent. Today, the last class of the day got into an exercise that had them cooperating with each other, incorporating critical thinking, research, and application of notes and materials introduced in previous classes. They did all this while working together to solve a problem, communicating mostly in English.

I was feeling impressed enough with their effort to start a thread to mention it. There are more than enough threads thrashing kids in urban public schools; only right to give them their due when making progress.

What's so good about the students ignoring me is that they were communicating with each other. It's ironic, considering how much time I spend each day getting them to stop talking to each other, but when it comes to directly addressing one another - in English - regarding the class material, most of the students in this class are actually quite reticent. Today, the last class of the day got into an exercise that had them cooperating with each other, incorporating critical thinking, research, and application of notes and materials introduced in previous classes. They did all this while working together to solve a problem, communicating mostly in English.

I was feeling impressed enough with their effort to start a thread to mention it. There are more than enough threads thrashing kids in urban public schools; only right to give them their due when making progress.

Sounds like something to be proud of, but considering where you are, you gotta expect a few pokes with a stick anyway.

Sounds like something to be proud of, but considering where you are, you gotta expect a few pokes with a stick anyway.

I'm proud of the kids. They are brighter and work harder than a lot of people give them credit for.

As for pokes with a stick...I wouldn't have posted the thread if I weren't prepared for that. I was caught up in a moment of exuberant optimism, but I'm back to cantankerous now.

And today, these same kids wrapped up a research project about trench warfare in WWI. Most final drafts were over ten pages long, thoroughly researched, with structure and grammar on par with their native English-speaking peers. They incorporated primary sources, synthesized information from various media, and produced several drafts, improving on their work each time. The look of pride on their faces in what they had accomplished was worth all the considerable effort.

Forum List

Back