Muslim prisoners win freedom to pray in groups.

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
'American Taliban' wins right to group prayer in prison - CNN.com

Up until 2007, the unit of mostly Muslim prisoners in a prison in Indiana were allowed to gather 3 times a day for prayer. Recently, although they are still allowed to gather, and even listen to the Quran, they have been limited to praying once a week, except for Ramadan. A judge ruled that those rules violate their religious freedoms.

Last edited:
'American Taliban' wins right to group prayer in prison - CNN.com

Up until 2007, the unit of mostly Muslim prisoners in a prison in Indiana were allowed to gather 3 times a day for prayer. Recently, although they are still allowed to gather, and even listen to the Quran, they have been limited to praying once a week, except for Ramadan. A judge ruled that those rules violate their religious freedoms.

Valedictorians from public high schools who incorporate prayer into their speech are denied. The Muslim convicted felons have more religious freedoms than American public school students.

I'm shocked that you would think that Sunni, really, shocked.:rolleyes:

Actually I think the issue of religious freedom in prison is a tricky one. Being in prison you lose lots of freedoms, and depending on the situation, religion is one of them.

Actually I think the issue of religious freedom in public school is a tricky one. Being in public school, you lose lots of freedoms, and depending on the situation, religion is one of them.

I'm shocked that you would think that Sunni, really, shocked.:rolleyes:

Actually I think the issue of religious freedom in prison is a tricky one. Being in prison you lose lots of freedoms, and depending on the situation, religion is one of them.

Actually I think the issue of religious freedom in public school is a tricky one. Being in public school, you lose lots of freedoms, and depending on the situation, religion is one of them.

I know, how dare they prevent you from forcing your religion on other people's impressionable children! :mad:

If a valedictorian or team captain stands up to say a prayer on taxpayer-funded land, the argument is made that it is violation of Church and State. If a Muslim prisoner on taxpayer-funded land is denied prayer less than 3 times per day, it is a violation of religious freedom. Liberals.

Damn, I thought freedom of association was a right you give up when you go to prision, guess not. Go figure. Criminals seem to have more rights than the rest of us.

Last edited:
Students were better educated when religion was part of the education system. Look at what has happened since.

Damn, I thought freedom of association was a right you give up when you go to prision, guess not. Go figure. Criminals seem to have more rights than the rest of us.

If they had been asking for special consideration, like being brought together at specific times to pray, I believe the judge would have ruled differently.

As it was, they were already allowed to do group activities, listen to the Quran and hang out during those times, they were simply forbidden to pray.

Students were better educated when religion was part of the education system. Look at what has happened since.

You have the freedom to send your child to any type of school you want. I went to Catholic school, and if you feel religion needs to be part of your child's education, then that's your right.:)

You know I am not a religous person but some type of moral authority and virtuous living code isn't always such a bad thing growing up.

This was the correct decision. What I found noteworthy was, "by not allowing group prayer, while at the same time allowing other group activities such as board games, the warden was violating the Religious Freedom Restoration Act" For all the warden knows the board games could have been altered to have secret codes by which the prisoners could communicate plans to escape or riot.

You have the freedom to send your child to any type of school you want. I went to Catholic school, and if you feel religion needs to be part of your child's education, then that's your right.:)

if atheism/secularism needs to be part of your child's education.....send him to that type of school....it's your right....

Or should. Those her HER tax dollars and the early public schools all started their days in bible reading and prayer. America will be a better nation when prayer and bible study are returned to all of the classrooms. Our founding fathers never envisioned a day when our public schools would not.

In fact the halls of Congress were used for church services on Sunday which is why there was no business done on Sunday at the Capitol. They were all having church! Reading from the bible! Imagine that! - Jeremiah

if atheism/secularism needs to be part of your child's education.....send him to that type of school....it's your right....

I'll probably send my child to Catholic school, depending on what country we are living in at the time. But thanks anyway.

Forum List

Back