Muslim father marries off 3 yr old to settle dispute

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
So it's doubtful that CNN or MSNBC will pick up this story but here it goes.... A Muslim man has an affair with another Muslim man's wife and to settle dispute over the affair the Muslim man marries off his 3 year old daughter to the man's 9 year old son. Some would call this a cultural thing. I call it a crime that boggles the imagination. What was this father thinking to marry off his own 3 year old daughter in order to appease the wrath of a jealous husband? The update is the adults involved have been arrested.

Father marries off three-year-old daughter to 'settle dispute over affair'

“Father marries off three-year-old daughter to ‘settle dispute over alleged affair,'” by Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith, Independent, March 16, 2017:

A three-year-old girl has been forced into marriage in order to settle a dispute between her father and another man, it has been reported.

The child has been married to a nine-year-old boy in Pakistan’s Neelum Valley, in the province of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, after her father failed to pay a penalty for allegedly having an affair Dawn.com reports.

Pakistani police have called the incident a case of Vani, a custom in which young girls are forced to be married by way of punishment for a crime committed by a male relative.

The girl’s father, named only as Mr Aurangzeb, was accused of having an affair with the mother of the boy by her husband, Mohammad Younis.

Standard practice in many parts of the world.

Especially among the Hindu people in India. ..... :cool:

You know I like you Sunni Man but you don't have to jump out like a Jack in the Box every time, to defend the indefensible when it comes to Islamic barbaric customs.

This might be something to talk about were it unique to Muslims or unique in history. It is neither.
Just how much hubris does it take to assume one's own cultural system is better than someone else's? Child marriage has fallen out of favor among European-based cultures. It hasn't in Asian and other cultures. That is what it is. As Americans we'd no sooner acquiesce to someone from different cultures telling us ours is flawed. By what right do we get to tell others theirs if flawed?

Yes, I was waiting for that one. We'll have to disagree. The people involved were arrested. I guess standard isn't so standard anymore. Progress. We'll take it wherever we can get it.

This might be something to talk about were it unique to Muslims or unique in history. It is neither.
Just how much hubris does it take to assume one's own cultural system is better than someone else's? Child marriage has fallen out of favor among European-based cultures. It hasn't in Asian and other cultures. That is what it is. As Americans we'd no sooner acquiesce to someone from different cultures telling us ours is flawed. By what right do we get to tell others theirs if flawed?
When they come for a 3 yr old that matters to you we'll see how much it matters.

You know I like you Sunni Man but you don't have to jump out like a Jack in the Box every time, to defend the indefensible when it comes to Islamic barbaric customs.
It's just an arranged marriage which is quite common in much of the third world.

Both children will still live at home with their parents.

There won't be an official marriage ceremony until the boy and girl reach the appropriate age. ... :cool:

Last edited:
It's just an arranged marriage which is quite common in much of the third world.

There won't be an official marriage ceremony until the boy and girl reach the appropriate age. ... :cool:

Hope so.

I think that the point here is, while such proceedings may be a cultural norm in other places, it is not here, in this country. Any many here view such arrangements as...abhorrent. People in this country do not view such arrangements as "normal" and do not wish to have them become so, here.

Both children will still live at home with their parents.

Wrong. They did perform the wedding ceremony. Had you read the article before commenting you would have seen that. The Muslim cleric who performed the marriage ceremony was arrested along with 5 others.

Clip from story:
Local police have arrested six of the 13 people who are believed to have taken part in the Jirga, including Mr Younis, Mr Aurangzeb and the girl’s grandfather, as well as the cleric who legitimised the marriage.

Father marries off three-year-old daughter to 'settle dispute over affair'

0539"]

Wrong. They did perform the wedding ceremony. Had you read the article before commenting you would have seen that. The Muslim cleric who performed the marriage ceremony was arrested along with 5 others.
'
True, there is a small marriage ceremony performed to seal the deal for the future. And the kids will still continue to live with their parents.

But the real marriage ceremony won't take place until they reach legal age. .... :cool:

Hope so.
Don't believe him. He knows better. This happened in Pakistan. When they marry the child off - she's gone. The very same night. They do not wait until the child is an 'appropriate age'. When the deal is made - the wedding is on. They married this 3 yr old to the 9 yr old son of the Muslim man and he was ready to take the child right then and there. Had it not been for the police showing up God only knows what would have happened to her.

I remember one child marriage in Pakistan - I believe the girl was 4 years old. An older man - over 50 years of age married her in a deal with the parents and took her / raped her and she died hemmorhaging blood. Islam. It's the scourge of the earth.

I like him too but when it comes to Islam I know I can't take his word for anything on that subject. It is what it is and what Islam is - is very, very bad.

When they come for a 3 yr old that matters to you we'll see how much it matters.

Someone from another culture coming for my child and someone in a given culture settling their own issues within the constructs and mores of their own culture and leaving me and my kids out it are two different things. That article tells of two Pakistani families settling matters within their own culture.

Forum List

Back