Mud (2012) - free HBO Max

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I saw it when it came out, we re-watched it last night.
I don't really understand the 97% RT review... I would say it doesn't deserve any better than 70% or so.
97% beats numerous very good movies, that puts it in the top 3-4 films of that year. It's not that good.
It is not a "bad" movie. It is entertaining, as long as you look past the 100 unrealistic plot holes.
The film lacks direction, the script is decent but flaky. It does showcase the acting chops of Ty Sheridan, there is a reason why he is having a successful career. And Matthew McConaughey carries the film, if his role was played by a lesser actor the movie likely would have never made it.
Out of 5 stars - personally I would give it 3 stars. It isn't a bad movie, it is free on Max, so if you are struggling to find a movie to watch - it's not a bad pick. There is some good stuff here.

It was OK but not all that great, I'd not re-watch it.

But, speaking of decent HBO movies I watched Draft Day with Kevin Costner again yesterday. It's one of the better sports movies.....Very well made.

That is a pretty good one, Moneyball is a little better (IMO)

Right up there but it drags a bit.....I like how Draft Day is "on the clock" the entire movie.
It is good... similar to the movie "Air" - the story of Air Jordan shoes.
Same kind of intensity of time.
If you liked Draft Day - you will highly likely enjoy Air as well.

I saw when it came out, we re-watched it last night.
I don't really understand the 97% RT review... I would say it doesn't deserve any better than 70% or so.
97% beats numerous very good movies, that puts it in the top 3-4 films of that year. It's not that good.
It is not a "bad" movie. It is entertaining, as long as you look past the 100 unrealistic plot holes.
The film lacks direction, the script is decent but flaky. It does showcase the acting chops of Ty Sheridan, there is a reason why he is having a successful career. And Matthew McConaughey carries the film, if his role was played by a lesser actor the movie likely would have never made it.
Out of 5 stars - personally I would give it 3 stars. It isn't a bad movie, it is free on Max, so if you are struggling to find a movie to watch - it's not a bad pick. There is some good stuff here.

I agree. Mud doesn't deserve a 97% rating. The acting of Matthew McConaughey as Mud and Tye Sheridan as Ellis is probably the reason for the high rating. The plot is good but execution of the story is not. First of all, a straight drama over 2 hours long needs more action or suspense. The film had practically none till the last 10 mins. Second, have you every heard of people knocking on doors of a multistory motel peddling fresh fish? Did Nichols, think people in the South have fish fries in their motel rooms. Lastly, the bad guys searching for Mud were suppose to be watching Mud's girl friend. Yet when Mud sent messages via the boys to the girl, the bad guys never seem notice.

I think the movie is worth watching but don't expect it to be memorable. I saw it two nights ago and I have already started to forget it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back