MSM It's Not Just A US Perception Problem

You come back when you check out the links. Sorry, but you are just not going to bully me as you have others.

Who is a better authority on whether the links have been checked by me? Me or you?

I not only read them, I was honest enough to say I recognized a gambit when I took it. You are intelligent enough to go after the one that was not UCLA or NY Times. Even then, you'll have to dig a bit.

You were honest enough to admit you had lied? Congratulations. I checked out the links and I've responded to both of them. If you want to ignore that, thats your choice. I can't force you to be honest.

Who is a better authority on whether the links have been checked by me? Me or you?
me, I've been here longer.

You were honest enough to admit you had lied? Congratulations. I checked out the links and I've responded to both of them. If you want to ignore that, thats your choice. I can't force you to be honest.

Not lied, omitted. You responded to the one I listed as to the point, which actually did link to credible study, but in and of itself, biased. That doesn't change the quality of the link, but go ahead and consider yourself vindicated. NOT, you leave off the UCLA study and NY Times report. But waddle away.

me, I've been here longer.

Well that certainly means you know more about my actions than I do :cuckoo:

Not lied, omitted. You responded to the one I listed as to the point, which actually did link to credible study, but in and of itself, biased. That doesn't change the quality of the link, but go ahead and consider yourself vindicated.

You dismissed media matters, therefore you should dismiss mediaresearch. By the way, remember when you said that it wasn't conservative?

NOT, you leave off the UCLA study and NY Times report. But waddle away.

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=631902&postcount=17

It would be nice if you bothered to read so I wouldn't have to post everything 6 times.

Well that certainly means you know more about my actions than I do :cuckoo:

You dismissed media matters, therefore you should dismiss mediaresearch. By the way, remember when you said that it wasn't conservative?

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=631902&postcount=17

It would be nice if you bothered to read so I wouldn't have to post everything 6 times.

Strawman on that last blurb. Media Matters and Mediaresearch have zip in common in this venue and you know it.

You broke it and now you own it.

The latest survey, by MSNBC investigative reporter Bill Dedman, had a simple methodology: Go to Federal Election Commission public records and see what various media figures contributed, and to whom.

The story that resulted was well-written and researched. But Dedman buried the lead in the 16th paragraph: "The pattern of donations, with nearly nine out of 10 giving to Democratic candidates and causes, appears to confirm a leftward tilt in newsrooms."

Nothing new, really. This is the same thing that surveys have found over and over again for three decades. To wit:

• A landmark 1981 study by Robert Lichter and Stanley Rothman of 240 journalists at top media outlets found that more 80% voted for Democrats for president in each election from 1964 to 1976. Further, 54% called themselves left of center, while just 19% called themselves right of center.

• A 1985 Los Angeles Times survey of journalists found the same thing — about 55% of journalists called themselves "liberal." In the 1984 election, they voted 58% to 26% for Democrat Walter Mondale, while the public went 59%-41% for President Reagan.

• A 1988 survey by the Journalist and Financial Reporting of 151 business reporters from more than 30 publications found the same thing: 54% of reporters called themselves Democrats, just 9% Republicans. And 52% gave Reagan "poor" or "below average" grades. Only 17% called him "excellent" or "good."

• A 1992 survey by Indiana University compared journalists to the overall U.S. population and found them "3% to 10% more likely to say they are Democrats, depending on which national survey you use as a yardstick, and 10 to 17 points less likely to say they are Republicans."

• More recently, a 2004 Pew Research Center survey of 547 journalists discovered five times more national journalists calling themselves "liberal" than "conservative." And 55% said the media aren't "critical enough" of President Bush; 8% said "too critical."

The fact is — and it is a fact — the media are far more liberal than they are conservative, and far more liberal than the public at large. They represent one of the most consistently left-leaning segments of American society.

This bias infects coverage top to bottom — from Iraq stories dwelling only on U.S. casualties and allegations of atrocities and torture to the abysmal coverage of the economy in which the media studiously avoid any mention of the fact that we are in the middle of an extraordinary boom.

By the way, poor coverage of the economy is nothing new. A 1983 study by the Institute for Applied Economics, for instance, found that while 95% of all economic statistics were positive — reflecting the strong upward growth in our free-market economy — 86% of the coverage was negative. How about some balance?

One would expect the media, even if biased, to have a bit of humility. But, as Dedman shows in asking reporters about their political activities, they're virtually clueless.

Here, for instance, is how New Yorker writer Mark Singer defending his contributions to a number of left-wing groups:

"If someone had murdered Hitler — a journalist interviewing him had murdered him — the world would be a better place. I only feel good as a citizen, about getting rid of George Bush, who has been the most destructive president in my lifetime."

George Bush is Adolf Hitler? This is insane. Yet Singer is a respected member of the press. Chalk it up to the mainstreaming of extreme beliefs of fringe kooks like Michael Moore.

Then there's Margot Patterson, who covered both the Iraq War and the anti-war movement for the National Catholic Register, and who gave thousands to anti-war Democrats.

Her rationale: "I feel my responsibility as a journalist is to be fair . . . (but) when I see my country embark on a course of action that I think disastrous to its future and fatal to its citizens, I think it my duty to do my utmost to stop it."

We don't expect journalists to give up their rights as citizens. But when you move from journalism to activism, it puts an entirely different tinge on what you do. And, gee, Margot, you covered the war and actively opposed it at the same time. Isn't that bias?

All the same, the media love to say they're not biased in their reporting. This is an obvious falsehood: No one can completely separate their ideals, feelings and political attitudes from how they report. It's just basic psychology. And when they deny bias exists, it's dangerous to democracy — as we see now in the war on terror.

In October 2005, a Pew Research Center poll asked the media and average Americans to say whether they agreed with the statement, "The decision to take military action was right."

At the time, just 28% of the media agreed compared with 48% of the overall public. Today, after an endless barrage of negative war coverage, Americans have become more gloomy. Did the media's persistent bias turn the American people against the war?

Journalists such as former CBS news anchors Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite who say, "Sure, we're biased, but it doesn't affect our reporting" are just plain full of it.

A study by UCLA Professor Tim Groseclose and the University of Chicago's Jeff Milyo, "A Measure of Media Bias," carefully documented whom the media used as sources for their reports. They found very clear left-leaning bias among the mainstream outlets.

Looking at major news media, for instance, only one — Fox News Special Report — could be called "right-of-center," they said. CBS Evening News was the most liberal, followed in order by The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, NBC Nightly News and ABC's World News Tonight.

The leftward bias is overwhelming.

http://tinyurl.com/2nqnn9

Now I expect the loony, lying, left will just attack the link and try to rewrite history rather than attack the facts as usual....the media was left leaning 40 years ago, 20 years ago, and at the present.....they (the reporters )admit that fact themselves, and the loons still won't accept it....

The latest survey, by MSNBC investigative reporter Bill Dedman, had a simple methodology: Go to Federal Election Commission public records and see what various media figures contributed, and to whom.

The story that resulted was well-written and researched. But Dedman buried the lead in the 16th paragraph: "The pattern of donations, with nearly nine out of 10 giving to Democratic candidates and causes, appears to confirm a leftward tilt in newsrooms."

Nothing new, really. This is the same thing that surveys have found over and over again for three decades. To wit:

• A landmark 1981 study by Robert Lichter and Stanley Rothman of 240 journalists at top media outlets found that more 80% voted for Democrats for president in each election from 1964 to 1976. Further, 54% called themselves left of center, while just 19% called themselves right of center.

• A 1985 Los Angeles Times survey of journalists found the same thing — about 55% of journalists called themselves "liberal." In the 1984 election, they voted 58% to 26% for Democrat Walter Mondale, while the public went 59%-41% for President Reagan.

• A 1988 survey by the Journalist and Financial Reporting of 151 business reporters from more than 30 publications found the same thing: 54% of reporters called themselves Democrats, just 9% Republicans. And 52% gave Reagan "poor" or "below average" grades. Only 17% called him "excellent" or "good."

• A 1992 survey by Indiana University compared journalists to the overall U.S. population and found them "3% to 10% more likely to say they are Democrats, depending on which national survey you use as a yardstick, and 10 to 17 points less likely to say they are Republicans."

• More recently, a 2004 Pew Research Center survey of 547 journalists discovered five times more national journalists calling themselves "liberal" than "conservative." And 55% said the media aren't "critical enough" of President Bush; 8% said "too critical."

The fact is — and it is a fact — the media are far more liberal than they are conservative, and far more liberal than the public at large. They represent one of the most consistently left-leaning segments of American society.

This bias infects coverage top to bottom — from Iraq stories dwelling only on U.S. casualties and allegations of atrocities and torture to the abysmal coverage of the economy in which the media studiously avoid any mention of the fact that we are in the middle of an extraordinary boom.

By the way, poor coverage of the economy is nothing new. A 1983 study by the Institute for Applied Economics, for instance, found that while 95% of all economic statistics were positive — reflecting the strong upward growth in our free-market economy — 86% of the coverage was negative. How about some balance?

One would expect the media, even if biased, to have a bit of humility. But, as Dedman shows in asking reporters about their political activities, they're virtually clueless.

Here, for instance, is how New Yorker writer Mark Singer defending his contributions to a number of left-wing groups:

"If someone had murdered Hitler — a journalist interviewing him had murdered him — the world would be a better place. I only feel good as a citizen, about getting rid of George Bush, who has been the most destructive president in my lifetime."

George Bush is Adolf Hitler? This is insane. Yet Singer is a respected member of the press. Chalk it up to the mainstreaming of extreme beliefs of fringe kooks like Michael Moore.

Then there's Margot Patterson, who covered both the Iraq War and the anti-war movement for the National Catholic Register, and who gave thousands to anti-war Democrats.

Her rationale: "I feel my responsibility as a journalist is to be fair . . . (but) when I see my country embark on a course of action that I think disastrous to its future and fatal to its citizens, I think it my duty to do my utmost to stop it."

We don't expect journalists to give up their rights as citizens. But when you move from journalism to activism, it puts an entirely different tinge on what you do. And, gee, Margot, you covered the war and actively opposed it at the same time. Isn't that bias?

All the same, the media love to say they're not biased in their reporting. This is an obvious falsehood: No one can completely separate their ideals, feelings and political attitudes from how they report. It's just basic psychology. And when they deny bias exists, it's dangerous to democracy — as we see now in the war on terror.

In October 2005, a Pew Research Center poll asked the media and average Americans to say whether they agreed with the statement, "The decision to take military action was right."

At the time, just 28% of the media agreed compared with 48% of the overall public. Today, after an endless barrage of negative war coverage, Americans have become more gloomy. Did the media's persistent bias turn the American people against the war?

Journalists such as former CBS news anchors Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite who say, "Sure, we're biased, but it doesn't affect our reporting" are just plain full of it.

A study by UCLA Professor Tim Groseclose and the University of Chicago's Jeff Milyo, "A Measure of Media Bias," carefully documented whom the media used as sources for their reports. They found very clear left-leaning bias among the mainstream outlets.

Looking at major news media, for instance, only one — Fox News Special Report — could be called "right-of-center," they said. CBS Evening News was the most liberal, followed in order by The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, NBC Nightly News and ABC's World News Tonight.

The leftward bias is overwhelming.

http://tinyurl.com/2nqnn9

Now I expect the loony, lying, left will just attack the link and try to rewrite history rather than attack the facts as usual....the media was left leaning 40 years ago, 20 years ago, and at the present.....they (the reporters )admit that fact themselves, and the loons still won't accept it....

I love the irony of posting obviously biased articles condemning bias in the media.

You have to somewhat of a knucklehead to expect the media in general to write articles on how biased they are...ask them who they voted for, who they contribute money to, how they view abortion, the Iraq war, the ACLU, the death penalty,etc. and its obvious they lean left....(while still believing they can and are objective....and thats impossible)....one would HAVE to be apolitical and/or amoral to report anything from a neutral perspective....MSM is 70 to 80% on the left, thats just the plain truth....

You have to somewhat of a knucklehead to expect the media in general to write articles on how biased they are...ask them who they voted for, who they contribute money to, how they view abortion, the Iraq war, the ACLU, the death penalty,etc. and its obvious they lean left....(while still believing they can and are objective....and thats impossible)....one would HAVE to be apolitical and/or amoral to report anything from a neutral perspective....MSM is 70 to 80% on the left, thats just the plain truth....

journalists are, for the most part, well trained professionals. If they are not writing editorials, but are reporting objective news stories, they are trained to remove bias....to suggest that they routinely do otherwise is to suggest that they have no professional ethics... in which case, why read or listen to or watch anything "they" have to say?

And why is that impossible? They are intelligent folks, they may be able to do things you are unable to do.

The latest survey, by MSNBC investigative reporter Bill Dedman

And now you have to balls to claim a msnbc reporter is biased to the right?
You gotta be joking.....that would even make Obermann laugh out loud....

Like...you know, read. I said the article was biased, not the survey.

that is your opinion. I tend to disagree. I think, if anything, they report in a way that pleases the source of their salary.

Maybe you missed your class in "Introduction to Psychology", or it was over your head......you and I and everyone else view the world from a perspective that is peculiar and uniquely ours, our beliefs, our morals, etc...
I can't explain it in a few short lines and won't write an essay.....

If we are liberal or conservative in our beliefs, that is the prism through which we see events....
that is the filter our minds perceive events....some people see miracles, some see unexplainable coincidence...

The MSM ADMITS to its left leanings, their is NO DOUBT there, now apply what human psychology teaches us...

Maybe you missed your class in "Introduction to Psychology", or it was over your head......you and I and everyone else view the world from a perspective that is peculiar and uniquely ours, our beliefs, our morals, etc...

If we are liberal or conservative in our beliefs, that is the prism through which we see events....
that is the filter our minds perceive events....some people see miracles, some see unexplainable coincidence...

The MSM ADMITS to its left leanings, their is NO DOUBT there, now apply what human psychology teaches us...

Wow...you honestly think liberals and conservatives see every event differently? There is much more than binds the ideologies than separates them. Despite the hatred on both sides, the differences aren't as deep as either would like to think.

By the way...it is very possible for individuals to recognize that they may be wrong. I believe what I believe, but I have no doubt that some of my beliefs are wrong.

professional people are able do perform their jobs without letting their personal biases get in the way.

I was a naval officer. There were many times when I completely disagreed with the mission that my ship was asked to perform or play a role in...that did not stop me from doing my job with the utmost professionalism. I see nothing that would indicate a journalist was incapable of doing exactly the same thing.

professional people are able do perform their jobs without letting their personal biases get in the way.

I was a naval officer. There were many times when I completely disagreed with the mission that my ship was asked to perform or play a role in...that did not stop me from doing my job with the utmost professionalism. I see nothing that would indicate a journalist was incapable of doing exactly the same thing.
Apples and oranges mm...its was not your prerogative to make those decisions about the duties expected of the ship you served on or what small roll it played in the grand scheme of some exercise....YOUR duty was to follow lawful orders and of course that is what you did....thats a far cry from what I'm trying to get at....
We'll agree to disagree on the MSM....if you think reporters write stories to please their masters, fine with me....
If you think they write from a neutral perspective, fine (except for Fox, of course)....
You, of course are not narrow-minded at all....you can see things from different perspectives....:rofl: (NOT)

Actually, the posts on this board is but a small example of extreme bias....
there are those that dismiss any opinion from a source that is perceived as slightly right or left, without any consideration of what point is being debated...

All these sources are wrong...

1 MSNBC investigative reporter Bill Dedman
2 A landmark 1981 study by Robert Lichter and Stanley Rothman
3 A 1985 Los Angeles Times survey
4 1988 survey by the Journalist and Financial Reporting
5 A 1992 survey by Indiana University
6 a 2004 Pew Research Center survey
7 A 1983 study by the Institute for Applied Economics
8 A study by UCLA Professor Tim Groseclose and the University of Chicago's Jeff Milyo

Everybody is wrong, except for the left wing deniers posting here....
I think not...

and those are the ONLY examples EVER of media errors and ALL of them favor a liberal perspective?

whatever.

Forum List

Back