MS Word Help!!!

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Here's the problem:

Saved document before shutting machine down last night. Turned machine on this morning, tried to open regular word document, but now wants to convert file before opening. Seems like the document is lost in PC hell, and I NEED this document NOW>

Question: Why did this happen, and how do I get the original document back!!

Look for every 'temp' folder on your machine.. there should be several.

Within each, there are files starting with a '~'.

Sort them by date, and open those dated recently in word until (hopefully) you see the cached document saved during shutdown.

Good Luck!

Another thing:

Use your file menu in word to open the document at the bottom of the file options.

If you don't see it, you are using the wrong install of Word that you did last night.

Ok, I tried opening files containing ~=, but word still askes for them to be converted. Should I go right to the temp file location, or does that matter?

Does not matter. The document itself might be damaged. If it is not a private document you might consider sending to me. We have a data recovery lab and are able to repair documents.

For those who helped me in my time of dire need (eric, comrade, d), you may be interested to know that there were almost 1900 errors found by a program called the Registry Mechanic. I think that "might" have caused a problem or two!! :D Hopefully all is resolved!

Forum List

Back