Movies with music that fail to enduce drama

Father Time

I'll be Still Alive
Nov 29, 2008
I suck at making thread titles. As we all know in movies sometimes they play music to make the audience feel a dramatic buildup or tension or whatever.

Have you ever seen a time when it just falls completely flat and it seems like they're just trying too hard/not at all?

I've got two

Psycho. They play some standard dramatic music at various points but there's one point where they play it where our heroine is just driving along a highway not doing much and with no obstacles whatsoever. True she stole some money earlier but it made me laugh.

Gangs of New York
The problem is, is that it's a movie over 2 and a half hours long and they play the same score almost every single time. I swear they played it at least 20 times. They could've just gave Mr. Lewis more dialogue and that would've added plenty of tension but I guess this was easier.

I dug both of the above movies. The last movie that failed to do anything for me was Daybreakers. It was some sort of vampire movie with Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe. Just a miserable movie about everyone being vampires and water being the cure.

I suck at making thread titles. As we all know in movies sometimes they play music to make the audience feel a dramatic buildup or tension or whatever.

Have you ever seen a time when it just falls completely flat and it seems like they're just trying too hard/not at all?

I've got two

Psycho. They play some standard dramatic music at various points but there's one point where they play it where our heroine is just driving along a highway not doing much and with no obstacles whatsoever. True she stole some money earlier but it made me laugh.

Gangs of New York
The problem is, is that it's a movie over 2 and a half hours long and they play the same score almost every single time. I swear they played it at least 20 times. They could've just gave Mr. Lewis more dialogue and that would've added plenty of tension but I guess this was easier.

OMG one of my pet peeves! I totally agree that the music to build drama sucks!

At the time Psycho was a very cutting edge movie and i have always loved it. And i dont remember gangs of NY very well.

And off the top of my head i cant pull any up for bad music! :eek:

One movie that i do recall well was Friday the 13th the original. It was on cable for the first time and i had never seen it before. A very boring movie! But the last scene...girl on the lake alone in a boat...the music was saying all was well and fine and the movie was over.....and that little milky freak jumped our of the water and garbed her!

Was i ever suckered in by the music!

Forum List

Back