Most Scientists Believe In God

Freeman

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2009
Good article.

Most Scientists Believe in God

many (and perhaps most) of the truly greatest scientists in history were also devoutly religious: Michael Faraday, Nicolaus Copernicus, Gregor Mendel, Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Sir Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Johannes Kepler, Max Planck, Renes Descartes and Werner Karl Heisenberg, to name just a few.

"Statistical data on Nobel prize winners in science between 1901 and 2000 revealed that atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers have won 7.1% of the prizes in chemistry, 8.9% in medicine, and 4.7% in physics; while Christians have won a total of 72.5% of the prizes in chemistry, 65.3% in physics, 62% in medicine and Jews have won 17.3% of the prizes in chemistry, 26.2% in medicine, and 25.9% in physics."
I’m assuming the obvious distinction made in the study between “atheists, agnostics and freethinkers” and “Christians and Jews” would also indicate that said Christians and Jews were indeed believers, and not just identifying themselves thus in a strictly ethnic sense.

Mr. Quandy sensibly goes on to point out how much greater even those percentages would have been if the study had included practicing Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists (which, combined, I believe account for about half the planet). I don’t at all understand why it didn’t, quite honestly.

a 2009 Pew Research poll click here put the percentage of scientists who believe in some form of deity or higher power at 51% (which, technically, as any scientist will tell you, is "most".)

83% of the general public believes in God.

Only 51% of scientists.

Why's that?

Last edited:

Only 51% of scientists.

Why's that?
You mean 83% of the general public SAYS they believe in god, and I don't know that that 83% figure is accurate.

Good article.

many (and perhaps most) of the truly greatest scientists in history were also devoutly religious: Michael Faraday, Nicolaus Copernicus, Gregor Mendel, Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Sir Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Johannes Kepler, Max Planck, Renes Descartes and Werner Karl Heisenberg, to name just a few.

"Statistical data on Nobel prize winners in science between 1901 and 2000 revealed that atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers have won 7.1% of the prizes in chemistry, 8.9% in medicine, and 4.7% in physics; while Christians have won a total of 72.5% of the prizes in chemistry, 65.3% in physics, 62% in medicine and Jews have won 17.3% of the prizes in chemistry, 26.2% in medicine, and 25.9% in physics."
I’m assuming the obvious distinction made in the study between “atheists, agnostics and freethinkers” and “Christians and Jews” would also indicate that said Christians and Jews were indeed believers, and not just identifying themselves thus in a strictly ethnic sense.

Mr. Quandy sensibly goes on to point out how much greater even those percentages would have been if the study had included practicing Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists (which, combined, I believe account for about half the planet). I don’t at all understand why it didn’t, quite honestly.

a 2009 Pew Research poll click here put the percentage of scientists who believe in some form of deity or higher power at 51% (which, technically, as any scientist will tell you, is "most".)

This one didn't:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

~Dr. Albert Einstein~ (excerpt from his obituary)

• Thanks
Reactions: PK1

Only 51% of scientists.

Why's that?
Scientists are smart.
Scientists-and-Belief-1.gif

Good article.

---
This BS piece "Most ..." Is a good example of confirmation bias:
"the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities."

It was a most unscientific treatment of its claim.

A real scientist leaves out emotional interpretations and focuses on the evidence. Fully rational.
There is no known evidence for any god-like being or "spirit" (sic), so the rational "real scientist" can only be agnostic, or more accurately, ignostic.

Only 51% of scientists.

Why's that?
---
Not correct. The Pew survey indicated only 33% of the scientists believed in "God" vs 83% of general public.

Most Scientists Believe In God

REAL scientists know about "cause and effect". REAL scientists know about the "big bang". REAL scientists know that there was a "cause" for it. REAL scientists know that everything that exists is the "effect".

... many (and perhaps most) of the truly greatest scientists in history were also devoutly religious:

in history ... were also devoutly religious:

the article shy's away from the "devoutly religious" to simply, believes in God - a clear example of the change that has occurred over time away from blind obedience to an analytical approach.

So what? It doesn't matter even if 100% of them believe in god.
Scientists have less radical thoughts and more liberal thoughts than ordinary people, that's the point.

Good article.

are you f kidding me?

REAL scientists know about "cause and effect". REAL scientists know about the "big bang". REAL scientists know that there was a "cause" for it. REAL scientists know that everything that exists is the "effect".
---
As i stated previously, the rational "real scientist" can only be agnostic.

Yes, scientists study correlations & their relationships ("cause & effect") and they hypothesize about the "big bang", but they do not "know" the antecedent causes of the theorized "singularity".

---
I noted how often you like to display that inane poster.
Real scientists are emotionally secure and don't need fairy tale fantasies to explain their ignorance.

And yes, things often happen without humanoid motivations.

You should have taken your intelligence up with Dr. Wernher von Braun. He didn't see it your way either but I do realize you are much smarter than he was.

• Thanks
Reactions: PK1
God is supported only by faith and yet we want to force people to follow such morality??? At least science has increased our live spans, made our world better and is real.

Who is forcing you to do anything at all? Please supply the thread number whereby anyone has attempted to force you to do anything at all. I am waiting.

Forum List

Back