More than a dozen Peel cops were found guilty of crimes since 2017, records show. None lost their jobs

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
The tip of the iceberg. How does keeping bad apples or dishonest plain clothes criminals on the force help existing officers, their reputation, Canadians freedom/democracy, Canadas economy or global Goodwill?

I pray FBI and CIA are paying attention. If you lean heavily on Canada, as Reagan did to Mulroney in the 80s; Canada can expand CSIS mandate to include infiltration and exposing of bad officers and agencies. I've argued for some time that this mandate expansion need to occur as Canada is increasingly viewed as an unaccountable police state, from the RCMP on down.

When Michelle O'Neill awoke in the middle of the night in July 2019, she thought she was imagining the figure she saw in the darkness.

Instead, Amarjit Rehan, her ex-boyfriend and a veteran Peel Regional Police officer, was sitting on her bed, holding her phone, and speaking incoherently. He had broken in through her window.

"I was absolutely, 100 per cent, afraid for my life," O'Neill told CBC Toronto in a recent interview.

Rehan was one of dozens named in a collection of recent disciplinary tribunal rulings released to CBC Toronto.

Last August, CBC Toronto requested all Peel police disciplinary findings since 2017. The service released more than 40 rulings, detailing hearings under Ontario's Police Services Act.

The records show more than a dozen officers were found guilty of criminal offences before being convicted at the disciplinary tribunal. Those offences span a variety of crimes, including drinking and driving offences, forgery, weapons offences, and multiple officers found guilty of criminal assault.

None of those officers were fired.

Other officers were charged with criminal offences and then acquitted, or found guilty under legislation like the Highway Traffic Act.

Victim says she 'second-guessed' herself​

Like most of the officers named in the records released to CBC Toronto, Rehan pleaded guilty rather than contest the charge against him in his subsequent internal disciplinary hearing.

He was arrested and pleaded guilty in 2020 to a criminal charge of being unlawfully in O'Neill's home. Brian Micner, Rehan's criminal lawyer, declined to comment.

Rehan's rank was reduced to second-class police constable for eight months after a disciplinary hearing, and he was ordered to complete a "partner assault response program," among other conditions. His representative at the tribunal said the penalty would entail $13,500 in lost salary, according to hearing records.

Peel Regional Police confirmed in November that Rehan was still a member of the service on regular duties but said it couldn't comment further on individual cases.

It did say the disciplinary process is aimed at corrective action against officers whenever possible.

"While there are certainly some instances of serious misconduct that can be aggravating enough, on their own, that they warrant dismissal, the Police Services Act also requires hearing officers to treat the respondent police officer with a view to fairness and a focus on corrective discipline as opposed to punitive discipline," Sgt. Jennifer Trimble said in an email.

The night of the break-in, O'Neill said she had fallen asleep while compiling records of her communications with Rehan.

During the course of their on-and-off relationship, O'Neill said Rehan was often verbally abusive, "volatile," and threatened to use his police powers to have her arrested and destroy her career as a naturopath.

"He told me on numerous occasions he wanted to watch me die," O'Neill said.

O'Neill said she doesn't recall what she said to convince Rehan to leave after the break-in. She said she remained calm as Rehan, whom she described as "visibly impaired," stumbled through her home, telling her she should have remembered to lock her door.

Forum List

Back