More settled science - AGW could reduce hurricanes impact

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
This is why I love science, it always ends up making fools of people that already have the answers.

Many scientists have blamed global warming for more intense recent hurricane seasons and for the more destructive storms that are predicted in years to come, but a new study says climate change could eventually help safeguard the U.S. Atlantic Coast from hurricanes.
Climate change might alter atmospheric conditions so that future hurricanes may be pushed away from the East Coast, according to a study published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.
The warming caused by greenhouse gases—thought to be the result of human activities such as burning fossil fuels—could redirect atmospheric winds that steer hurricanes.
By the next century, the study's authors report, atmospheric winds over the Atlantic could blow more directly from west to east during hurricane season, pushing storms away from the United States.
Scientists: Climate Change May Offer Hurricane Help

What does storms taking a different course have to do with stronger hurricanes?

You understand those are separate issues, no?

Do you understand that the argument put up by you idiots is that there will be more intense storms that cause more damage, don't you? Even if the first is true, which is highly debatable, they won't cause any damage if they don't hit land.

What does 0.5deg warmer in your lifetime mean for STRONGER hurricanes ???
In fact -- the current lull in the Atlantic for formation is partly blamed on "warmer air aloft".

In fact -- the current lull in the Atlantic for formation is partly blamed on "warmer air aloft".

Mamooth is right. The course that hurricanes take does not indicate they haven't intensified.

It could turn out that heating the atmosphere up by 2C will eliminate hurricanes in the Atlantic. I doubt it, but it's possible. Our climate is a fiendishly complex system. But I can guarantee you one thing. As the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere increases, so does the AVERAGE intensity of the Earth's weather.

Mamooth is right. The course that hurricanes take does not indicate they haven't intensified.

It could turn out that heating the atmosphere up by 2C will eliminate hurricanes in the Atlantic. I doubt it, but it's possible. Our climate is a fiendishly complex system. But I can guarantee you one thing. As the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere increases, so does the AVERAGE intensity of the Earth's weather.

Does the fact that science tells us they haven't intensified prove they haven't intensified?

Does the fact that science tells us they haven't intensified prove they haven't intensified?

There's no such thing as proof in the natural sciences. Warming has just begun. Effects are still small and easy to miss with the range of natural variation. Some effects are easier to see: droughts, fires, air temperature. The question I have is do you accept that higher temperatures will bring more energetic weather. Eh?

There's no such thing as proof in the natural sciences. Warming has just begun. Effects are still small and easy to miss with the range of natural variation. Some effects are easier to see: droughts, fires, air temperature. The question I have is do you accept that higher temperatures will bring more energetic weather. Eh?

And no one YOU KNOW is claiming that "we can already see the effects" of that 0.5 deg. And certainly -- no one alleged that Katrina, Sandy and 4 tornado outbreaks were DIRECTLY because of CO2 along with 19 dead firefighters in Ariz.... Nawww --- None of that ever happened......

Whatever happens next will be our fault.. That's downright primitive dontcha think?

There is no basis for stating that the "average intensity of weather" goes up proportionally to small changes in temperature mean. Weather is not driven by changes in a mean global average.

Weather is driven by thermal differences.. It is driven by atmos pressure. It is driven even by differences in humidity. It depends on the jet stream and ocean currents, and proximity to water.

But acting ALONE -- a uniform increase in the mean temp within the lower tropo is NOT likely to manifest extreme or more numerous events.

There is no proof of evolution? Seriously?

That's not what I said! You're just too dumb to understand a smart guy like me, you big dumb doodyhead dummy dumb guy!!

There, Abe, I covered for you. No need to thank me.

That's not what I said! You're just too dumb to understand a smart guy like me, you big dumb doodyhead dummy dumb guy!!

There, Abe, I covered for you. No need to thank me.

I am so hurt.

:cool:

im getting sick of climatologists and other earth scientists acting like they can come close to even beggining being able to predict how an increase in global temperatures will affect our weather and climate.

the Earth's cimate is a microcosm of thousands of micro-climates all over the world, all affected by different variables. then we have the ocean that is also a mixture of systems, affected by various things.

to think that we can predict how all of these micro-systems in the air and the ocean will be affected, is beyond arrogant. its fucking stupid.

Forum List

Back