BABOUSHKA calls it quits on their trek to the North Pole by sailing catamaran

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
On the way to the Dark Tower.
BABOUSHKA calls it quits on their trek to the North Pole by sailing catamaran
September 3, 2013
Sebastian Vincent and Babushka were recovered by the icebreaker Admiral Makarov!

20130903 UPDATE: (Sébastien Roubinet - Accueil)
September 3, 2013
This three days that Sebastien Vincent and triggered their distress beacon. They tried everything they believed it until the last moment, but poor weather conditions present and especially future force them to give up!
Going by their own means is impossible, they were obliged, with great regret, to trigger their tag. They're fine, though vexed.
A Russian icebreaker is on its way from the mainland.
### END UPDATE

French Arctic adventurers end their mission due to bad weather at 82 13.97N, -171 47.09W

Sébastien Roubinet and Vincent Berthet in their catamaran 'Baboushka'
Two French men, Sébastien Roubinet and Vincent Berthet , who set out on a trek to the North Pole in July in a wind catamaran, announced today that they are blocked in the Arctic. A Russian ice-breaker has been dispatched to help them.

“Sébastien and Vincent set off their warning flares. They did everything they could, they believed in themselves right up until the last moment, but with the bad weather conditions now, and more expected to come, they were forced to abandon their mission” said a press release posted on the Facebook page The Artctic Track (La Voie du Pôle https://www.facebook.com/î!/Lavoiedupole)

--

Roubinet, 39 and Berthet, 32 set out to the Arctic at the beginning of July, just at the peak of the summer thaw.

Babouchka (grandmother in Russian). Babouchka is half catamaran, half sail wagon, she’s able to move across the sea and ice.

The goal was to make it to Spitzberg in the Svalbard archipelago in Norway, via the North Pole and observe the state of melting ice that has gone on over the past years.​

I'm glad they were rescued, but it always makes a funny sound when agenda collides with reality. :lol:

When NSIDC reports there is no ice in the Arctic Ocean but a fleet of vessels is trapped there by ice, come and tell us about it. Till then, this is irrelevant blather.

When NSIDC reports there is no ice in the Arctic Ocean but a fleet of vessels is trapped there by ice, come and tell us about it. Till then, this is irrelevant blather.
C'mon, you don't think this is amusing? Two guys who think there's no ice get stranded by ice.

:lol:

Oh, wait, sorry -- you're a progressive. No sense of humor.

C'mon, you don't think this is amusing? Two guys who think there's no ice get stranded by ice.

They weren't stranded by ice. They were stopped by bad weather. Their vessel was able to travel across water and ice.
Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

“Ice began to build-up on the route to the Pole and Spitzberg, and the temperature plunged, and is expected to keep dropping in the next eight days” explained the press release. The blockade happened suddenly and was unexpected by venturesome duo.​

I suspect you and I laugh at different things.
Indeed. For you, the pinnacle of humor is a "Bush = Hitler" Photoshop.

They weren't stranded by ice. They were stopped by bad weather. Their vessel was able to travel across water and ice.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

“Ice began to build-up on the route to the Pole and Spitzberg, and the temperature plunged, and is expected to keep dropping in the next eight days” explained the press release. The blockade happened suddenly and was unexpected by venturesome duo.​

If they expected to find no ice, why would they take a vessel that was capable of traveling over ice? And, pray tell, what authority has ever suggested that at present, at any time of the year, the North Pole is ice free?

I suspect you and I laugh at different things.

Indeed. For you, the pinnacle of humor is a "Bush = Hitler" Photoshop.

When you go out of your way to make personal insults, it seems a good indication that you're afraid your arguments are inadequate. Please allow me to affirm that suspicion.

;-)

Last edited:
They actually believed in global warming?????????

Oh my that is funny.

The funny part is that poster Dave here thought that they expected open water all the way to the pole AND that there is some significance to people finding ice at the North Pole.

"As long as there's one crystal of ice at the poles, there is no global warming". Right Dave?

[MANIACAL LAUGHTER]
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
[/LAUGHTER]
[SHAKE HEAD]
Shake shake shake
[/SHAKE]

Last edited:
Putting aside the whole issue of global warming?

What an assinine misadventure. What a freaking waste of resources, too.

Seriously some people just have too much money and time on their hands.

I agree it was a worse than worthless stunt. Icebreakers aren't inexpensive things to operate. Think of the fuel it will burn going to get them.

If they expected to find no ice, why would they take a vessel that was capable of traveling over ice?
If there was no ice, why did they have to call an icebreaker to rescue them?
And, pray tell, what authority has ever suggested that at present, at any time of the year, the North Pole is ice free?
None. However, they HAVE been claiming that there is less and less ice around the Pole.

You don't dispute this, do you?
When you go out of your way to make personal insults, it seems a good indication that you're afraid your arguments are inadequate. Please allow me to affirm that suspicion.

;-)
Oh, you mean like you continually insisting the guns in my avatar mean I have a small penis? That sort of thing?

Or is it different...somehow...it just is!! when you do it?

Hypocrite.

They actually believed in global warming?????????

Oh my that is funny.

The funny part is that poster Dave here thought that they expected open water all the way to the pole AND that there is some significance to people finding ice at the North Pole.

"As long as there's one crystal of ice at the poles, there is no global warming". Right Dave?

[MANIACAL LAUGHTER]
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
[/LAUGHTER]
[SHAKE HEAD]
Shake shake shake
[/SHAKE]
I bet you feel all tough after knocking that strawman down.

Chicks dig that. No, really.

Forum List

Back