More israeli racism - police to halt Arab Jerusalem event

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Shogun, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Israeli police warned on Friday it would not allow the Palestinians to hold cultural events in east Jerusalem to mark the city's designation as the 2009 "capital of Arab culture."

"Police will deploy reinforcements in Jerusalem tomorrow to prevent any Palestinian attempt to hold official activities," police spokesman Smulik ben Rubi said.

The Palestinian Authority was planning to organise Saturday cultural activites in annexed, mostly Arab east Jerusalem to launch celebrations marking the proclamation of the Holy City as 2009 "capital of Arab culture."

Arab culture ministers have confered that designation on a city each year since 1996. Damascus held the title in 2008.

Israel, which annexed east Jerusalem after occupying it in 1967, bans any official Palestinian activity in that part of the city.

The Palestinians consider east Jerusalem as the capital of their future state but Israel sees it as belonging to its "eternal and undivided capital."

Israeli police to halt Arab Jerusalem event

:eusa_shhh:

2. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    So the Arab culture ministers decided to name Jerusalem '2009 Capital of Arab Culture' despite knowing that no Palestinian events are allowed there, correct? Or am I misreading the article?

3. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    no Palestinian events are allowed

go ahead and roll that statement through your brain a few times and see if it tastes sweeter or more bitter if we replace the words palestinean with JEW and jerusalem with Boca Raton.

4. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    No, I agree, it would be equally bitter. But that wasn't my point.

My point was why would the people who make these decisions make one that was clearly going to be a problem, unless of course they wanted it to be a political statement, which I'm sure is the case.

And inasmuch as you (and others, of course) feel aggrieved about it, they have achieved their objective. Is it racism? Not in my book, at least not in the classical sense. Merely another example of a group of people deliberately provoking an incident in order to try and stack the deck of world opinion. The Israelis are very good at the same game.

If I lived in that part of the world, I'd probably be more passionate one way of the other, or at least less cynical. But I don't, and I'm not.

5. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    No, you've got the idea right.

Israel is a JEWISH state. Jerusalem is its capital.

6. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    The difference is that Arabs are illegal immigrants in East Jerusalem. I gave you that link to hundreds of thousands of sources that prove my point of the illegal Arab immigration into Jewish Palestine during the 1920s and 1930s. How's your reading going on them?

Oh wait, let me guess. They're all, every single one of them, Jewish sources and they completely distort the truth.

Okay, so if you think you know the truth, say it then. Tell me how there wasn't a massive Arab immigration into Jewish Palestine in the 1920s and 1930s. Please - I await your links.

7. Zein El Nour

Zein El Nour Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is it wrong for a group of people to do anything to stack the deck of world opinion especially when it has to do with something that the whole world has agreed is right: ending the occupation? It is a form of peaceful resistance.

8. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    No, there's nothing wrong with it. But my point was it isn't racism, which was what the OP contended.

9. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260

well, i guess we could ask college bound alabama blacks the came thing circa 1964, eh?

for real.. if America operated in the same fashion as you zionist enablers seem to want we'd still be stick with segregation.

10. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    just like America is a WHITE state, eh? Still can't name the jewish founding father, can you?