More fundamentalist nastiness

No, that's true there isn't anything in there that states that. Aside from the fact that a couple of them were lay ministers it is quite possible this wasn't done because of some twisted religious belief.

I'll stop trying to be PC....if I had to do it all over again I would title the thread, "Christians rounded up for child sex abuse."

So when the absolutely dwarfing number of teacher sex abuse cases happens to be reported on, should it be headlined "Secularists rounded up for child sex abuse", "Non-religious people rounded up in droves for child sex abuse", "Throngs of government employees rounded up for child sex abuse"?

This kind of sensationalist garbage is not productive, and generally not accurate in the portrayal you wish to paint of whatever group it is you feel should be persecuted.
Well...no...most of them turn out to be Christians so that would be technically incorrect.

But I agree with your second point.

No, that's true there isn't anything in there that states that. Aside from the fact that a couple of them were lay ministers it is quite possible this wasn't done because of some twisted religious belief.

I'll stop trying to be PC....if I had to do it all over again I would title the thread, "Christians rounded up for child sex abuse."

So when the absolutely dwarfing number of teacher sex abuse cases happens to be reported on, should it be headlined "Secularists rounded up for child sex abuse", "Non-religious people rounded up in droves for child sex abuse", "Throngs of government employees rounded up for child sex abuse"?

This kind of sensationalist garbage is not productive, and generally not accurate in the portrayal you wish to paint of whatever group it is you feel should be persecuted.
Well...no...most of them turn out to be Christians so that would be technically incorrect.

But I agree with your second point.

I'm unsure as to if this is true or not (most of them are christians) but considering a majority of american's identify as christian/catholic types I would be willing to assume you are correct.

I'd love to see percentages. What percent of "Christians" are engaging in sexual abuse of children vs. the percent of Muslims or any other religion or non-religion? If we could look at actual trends and hard numbers, then we can label, right?

I'd love to see percentages. What percent of "Christians" are engaging in sexual abuse of children vs. the percent of Muslims or any other religion or non-religion? If we could look at actual trends and hard numbers, then we can label, right?
So it bothers you when people generalize?

Police: Sixth person arrested in Missouri child sex abuse case - CNN.com

Independence, Missouri (CNN) -- A sixth person was arrested Thursday on suspicion of child sexual abuse in an investigation that led to the arrest of five members of a Missouri family, and authorities found additional victims in the case, police said.

Calling these men fundamentalists is akin to calling muslim terrorists fundamentalists.

I think doing so does a huge injustice to both religions as neither group is following the "fundamentals" of their religions.
Okay...then what would you call people that do bad things in the name of their religion?

In the matter of Christian fundamentalists who belong to a church which then excommunicates them and excoriates them for their criminal behavior, I would call them criminals who are using their religion to situate them to commit criminal acts. Just as child molesters in the education system use their profession to justify and set them up to behave criminally.

In the matter of Muslim fundamentalists who are funded, supported, and promised paradise for continuing to slaughter, I'd call them jihadist terrorist bastards.

But unlike Ravidiot, I in no way believe that we should eliminate teaching degrees or schools just because those two things attract more child molesters than all the rest of religions and professions combined.

Legitimate teachers and religious organizations alike decry criminal behavior of their members. Therefore, it is not a "fundamentalist" issue.

Now if only we could convince Islam to excommunicate those who participate in Jihad.

In that case, the religion IS the source of the depravity.

In the case where the criminals are outed, it is not.

Community of Christ is hardly a fundamentalist group. In fact, they are quite a liberal offshoot. Been alot of fracture and schism in the group because of their more liberal interpretations of the scriptures.

But unlike Ravidiot, I in no way believe that we should eliminate teaching degrees or schools just because those two things attract more child molesters than all the rest of religions and professions combined.

Legitimate teachers and religious organizations alike decry criminal behavior of their members. Therefore, it is not a "fundamentalist" issue.

Now if only we could convince Islam to excommunicate those who participate in Jihad.

Excommunication? Baba aren't you confusing Islam with the Roman Catholic Church? The Pope has no say in who can enter a mosque and Muslims have no pope.

1. A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.
2. a. often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
b. Adherence to the theology of this movement.

#1 is the most widely used definition. But I leaned my lesson. Next time I'll just call them Christians.

Excommunication is a practice of Islam. There is no provision for it.

Forum List

Back