More Economic Good News- Economists agree: Stimulus created nearly 3 million jobs

Economists agree: Stimulus created nearly 3 million jobs - USATODAY.com

A recent study by two prominent economists generally agrees, crediting the pump-priming with averting "what could have been called Great Depression 2.0."

Eighteen months later, the consensus among economists is that the stimulus worked in staving off a rerun of the 1930s. But the spending's impact was dwarfed by other crisis-fighting tools deployed by the Bush and Obama administrations, including costly efforts to stabilize crippled banks and the Fed's unconventional monetary policy.

"I think it was important for confidence. ... But fiscal stimulus was the least important of the three planks of the government's strategy," said Harvard University's Kenneth Rogoff, former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund.

Wrong!
Speaking of those estimates, how do they work? They provide two versions. The first utilizes multipliers. These tools estimate how different kinds of stimulus spending add to GDP, and consequently, create jobs. They're also highly controversial. Different economists may believe that different multipliers values should be used.

Romer Reveals the Stimulus Jobs Scorecard - Business - The Atlantic

Economists agree: Stimulus created nearly 3 million jobs - USATODAY.com

A recent study by two prominent economists generally agrees, crediting the pump-priming with averting "what could have been called Great Depression 2.0."

Eighteen months later, the consensus among economists is that the stimulus worked in staving off a rerun of the 1930s. But the spending's impact was dwarfed by other crisis-fighting tools deployed by the Bush and Obama administrations, including costly efforts to stabilize crippled banks and the Fed's unconventional monetary policy.

"I think it was important for confidence. ... But fiscal stimulus was the least important of the three planks of the government's strategy," said Harvard University's Kenneth Rogoff, former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund.

Wrong!
Speaking of those estimates, how do they work? They provide two versions. The first utilizes multipliers. These tools estimate how different kinds of stimulus spending add to GDP, and consequently, create jobs. They're also highly controversial. Different economists may believe that different multipliers values should be used.

Romer Reveals the Stimulus Jobs Scorecard - Business - The Atlantic

I don't thing Romer needs to be demonized (not that you have), all she's done is serve her role as a political appointee. She was wrong and it's good she "resigned," but the blame goes a little higher up.

I hope she gets a good job analyzing good data instead of this crap she's been spinning. I'd actually like to see a future Republican President put her in charge of revisiting this colossal failure of Keynes on steroids.

Do the economists work for the FED? We are in a depression. Look at home many people are on food stamps...modern day bread lines? There are so many indicators, this is just the tip of the ice burg!

Well the future is coming! I predict we hear more "good news" while things only get slightly worse as time goes on. If we could combine all this "good news" over the last 2 years one would think we would be booming, and yet here we are, still debating if the stimulus had any long term positive effects.

The GDP shows growth! Take away Government dumping BILLIONS on it and you would see a shock and awe drop. The “growth” we are hearing about is fabricated, fake, unsustainable or any word meaning “not real” you would like to use. As I said before, the most Bush, Obama and the Federal Reserve are hoping for is to float the economy into the next bubble, of course no one knows what that bubble could be but they sure are praying for it.

During Bush's last 18 months in office we "dumped" $4 Trillion into the economy and yet the GDP was negative for 5 of those 6 quarters

And for the last 4 months the rate of growth has declined and yet Obama keeps saying things are heading in the right direction :)

Forum List

Back