More Economic Good News- Economists agree: Stimulus created nearly 3 million jobs

He "wanted to" but with a majorities in both houses of congress he was unable?

perhaps you can show the legislation Republicans got out of committee. Was this about the same time he was halving the net capital rule, giving 5 grand to low-income folks to help them with down payments etc....?

"These two entities—Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac—are not facing any kind of financial crisis," Representative Barney Frank

What does that quote have to do with Republicans being in charge of congress and the executive branch when you claim somehow Dems magically blocked reform? Did Frank get some legislation passed based on that quote? Did he block some legislation?

Sure, right after Bush got the partial privatization of SocSec through Congress

Nothing is better off than when Bush left office? If you could put down the caps key and relax, maybe we could discuss that claim...you know, with some actual figures.

Or, you can rant on with your caps key stuck.

If Bush had been elected for a third term we would be much better off even than we are now.
Try refuting that one.

Why don't you try supporting the claim you just made. What would Bush have done different that would have made the economy better. Specifics are fine, thanks.

Easy. He wouldn't have shoved through ObamaCare or screwed over the GM bondholders to keep the unions whole until 2014 which is when their pension program (which should have been restructure in the bankruptcy proceedings but wasn't due to Obama interference) explodes in a cataclysm of insolvency. I see Bail Outs.

He wanted to reform Fannie and Freddie because he knew they were about to pull down the housing market.

perhaps you can show the legislation Republicans got out of committee. Was this about the same time he was halving the net capital rule, giving 5 grand to low-income folks to help them with down payments etc....?

So the government DID cause the housing market bubble, right?

Yes, the government decision to deregulate the five largest firms, to allow nondepository institutions to drive the subprime market and to abolish restrictions on securitizations helped create the bubble and the ensuing collapse.

in other words, the government's decision to not regulate helped cause the mess.

If Bush had been elected for a third term we would be much better off even than we are now.
Try refuting that one.

Why don't you try supporting the claim you just made. What would Bush have done different that would have made the economy better. Specifics are fine, thanks.

Easy. He wouldn't have shoved through ObamaCare

A plan adopted in March of 2010 led to the mess that preceded it? I hope you realize that since that time the economy has grown and the private sector has added jobs.

or screwed over the GM bondholders

Screwed GM bondholders? Huh? GM bondolders became GM equity holders. That's what happens in a bankruptcy.

ObamaCare, among the whole host of inane programs and policies of this administration, is retarding economic growth. It's a major factor in why small businesses are not hiring.

ObamaCare, among the whole host of inane programs and policies of this administration, is retarding economic growth. It's a major factor in why small businesses are not hiring.
Is this what the radio told you to believe? are small businesses afraid of the tax credits of up to 50% of premiums they will receive? Are they afraid of the increased options provided by a pooling exchange?

Yes, the government decision to deregulate the five largest firms, to allow nondepository institutions to drive the subprime market and to abolish restrictions on securitizations helped create the bubble and the ensuing collapse.

in other words, the government's decision to not regulate helped cause the mess.

How about the government defacto guarantee caused firms to take risks they would not have taken if they thought they were only using their money?

We need to have a separation of government and banking. We need broad, robust non-FDIC banking. If you take government insurance you must abide by their rules, fair enough, but we cannot have a system where you need to be a good little CRA boy to do business.

We also need to shutter Fannie and Freddie.

Is this what the radio told you to believe? are small businesses afraid of the tax credits of up to 50% of premiums they will receive? Are they afraid of the increased options provided by a pooling exchange?

That's crap.

The recovery starts once the Marxist Jihad is brought to a halt this November.

It's the whole host of tax increases that accompany this Obamanation.

Obama is increasing the costs of doing business. When businesses combine that with the fact that the economy is barely growing and they don't see opportunities to gain new customers and revenue, they aren't going to hire.

It's why unemployment is at enormously high levels.

(And unlike you, my information comes from extensive reading of a variety of sources. I don't receive talking points.)

Last edited:

That's crap.

Lol...yes, that makes perfect sense Frank. It doesn't start after four straight quarters of economic growth, it only starts when Frank says it starts.

Nice use of Jihad and Marxist in the same sentence, Frank. You've been taught well.

It's the whole host of tax increases that accompany this Obamanation.
tell us about the tax hikes on small businesses since Obama took office, Boedicca.

That's crap.

Lol...yes, that makes perfect sense Frank. It doesn't start after four straight quarters of economic growth, it only starts when Frank says it starts.

Nice use of Jihad and Marxist in the same sentence, Frank. You've been taught well.

Just watch.

How about the government defacto guarantee caused firms to take risks they would not have taken if they thought they were only using their money?

We need to have a separation of government and banking. We need broad, robust non-FDIC banking. If you take government insurance you must abide by their rules, fair enough, but we cannot have a system where you need to be a good little CRA boy to do business.

We also need to shutter Fannie and Freddie.

We're not so far in disagreement. I'd be happy to put an end to TBTF, and we've taken small steps in that direction.

I don't think you'll ever get Non-FDIC banking (in the depository sense). Whose going to deposit in an uninsured institution when they can deposit in an insured institution? I'd 100% rolling the stupid 250,000 protection back to $100,000 or even lower.

And like you, Barnie Frank and I both support closing FM.

A tax credit is not a motivator in and of itself for hiring. Tax credits can be removed at any time. Most small business will simply opt out of the benefit and allow the employee to buy their own in the near future. Now there is no down side and 100% of the premium is paid by someone else. Typical liberal view point of business 8537.

A tax credit is not a motivator in and of itself for hiring. Tax credits can be removed at any time.

It's not a credit for hiring. It's a credit for offering insurance.

Most small business will simply opt out of the benefit and allow the employee to buy their own in the near future.

In other words, they will do as they have done and not offer health insurance? what's the problem there?

Typical liberal view point of business 8537.

Yeah, it's my "liberal view point of business" that is the problem here.

A tax credit is not a motivator in and of itself for hiring. Tax credits can be removed at any time. Most small business will simply opt out of the benefit and allow the employee to buy their own in the near future. Now there is no down side and 100% of the premium is paid by someone else. Typical liberal view point of business 8537.

its idiotic to make any strong association between tax policy and hiring. hiring runs on demand. if there is sufficient demand, you cant resist for long, no matter the tax implications. if there is no demand, no tax policy will inspire a wise business person to hire.

if the cost of employment rose a whopping 10%, rather than not hiring employees desperately needed to cover demand, i would pass those ten points to the new hires (lower wages) and to my customers (higher prices). it would take an idiot not to hire out of fear of tax policy, alone, or to believe that that is what is going on in our economy at present.

Well the future is coming! I predict we hear more "good news" while things only get slightly worse as time goes on. If we could combine all this "good news" over the last 2 years one would think we would be booming, and yet here we are, still debating if the stimulus had any long term positive effects.

The GDP shows growth! Take away Government dumping BILLIONS on it and you would see a shock and awe drop. The “growth” we are hearing about is fabricated, fake, unsustainable or any word meaning “not real” you would like to use. As I said before, the most Bush, Obama and the Federal Reserve are hoping for is to float the economy into the next bubble, of course no one knows what that bubble could be but they sure are praying for it.

Well the future is coming! I predict we hear more "good news" while things only get slightly worse as time goes on. If we could combine all this "good news" over the last 2 years one would think we would be booming, and yet here we are, still debating if the stimulus had any long term positive effects.

The GDP shows growth! Take away Government dumping BILLIONS on it and you would see a shock and awe drop. The “growth” we are hearing about is fabricated, fake, unsustainable or any word meaning “not real” you would like to use. As I said before, the most Bush, Obama and the Federal Reserve are hoping for is to float the economy into the next bubble, of course no one knows what that bubble could be but they sure are praying for it.

During Bush's last 18 months in office we "dumped" $4 Trillion into the economy and yet the GDP was negative for 5 of those 6 quarters

what informs your conclusion of fake or not real? i do buy 'unsustainable' and 'fabricated', and that the government aims to float the economy either fiscally or monetarily. should the government refrain from that? do you believe that this is done just as a political/statistical trick, or do you acknowledge that there's some impact within the economy which might be required to cure its ailments?

Congress didn't halve the net capital rule for the five largest firms. That came from the Executive branch.

Interesting. Why didn't you say that first?

appstate-goalposts.jpg

Umm...read my post. I did say that first.

Heh! Missed that the first time. Oops.

:eusa_whistle: :redface: :tomato:

Forum List

Back