More behavior change thru taxation

Md. Alcohol Tax Increase Approved « CBS Baltimore

One of the many reasons given, as heard on the TV news report, is that they want to "encourage" less alcohol consumption... So now a 9% tax on alcohol.... hurting businesses... and just being flat out wrong

Well... I will buy my alcohol less than a mile away in Virginia... fuck these idiot MD "legislators"

You're welcome to Virginia anytime! You think Maryland taxation is high - I was in DC yesterday, regular unleaded was $4.54

It's all about the money. You can't give them money as fast as they can find things to spend it on.

It's all about the money. You can't give them money as fast as they can find things to spend it on.

Alcohol, tobacco gasoline are all commodities that for whatever reason people have to purchase. The object is not behavior modification. That's only the PC justification. If they really wanted people to shop smoking and drinking and to drive less, they would raise taxes high enough to put booze, smokes and gas out of the reach of all but the rich.
Tax increases are just high enough so a few people will get pissed enough to quit smoking or drinking in protest and government can use those numbers to support another increase next year.
When I started smoking, cigarettes cost a quarter a pack. Now they're 6 bucks here in Alabama and more in most blue non tobacco states. I still buy them.
That 2400% increase is due mostly to taxes and regulation, (on average about 60% of the price is federal and state excise tax) but it has been spread out over 48 years. Had the price of a pack gone from a quarter to 6 bucks in one shot, no one would smoke and the government would be out billions.

One of the many reasons given, as heard on the TV news report, is that they want to "encourage" less alcohol consumption... So now a 9% tax on alcohol.... hurting businesses... and just being flat out wrong

Well... I will buy my alcohol less than a mile away in Virginia... fuck these idiot MD "legislators"

Good! Sugary soda, fast food and salt should be next! Welcome to the smoker's lounge!!!

<which, thanks to the Republicans in Virginia, is now located OUTSIDE of any public establishment>

I used to live in MD, cost me 1700 bucks to register my truck. When I moved to PA it only cost me 26 bucks. My wife and I have 3 cars so it helps a lot.

I agree, fcuk Maryland!

EDIT: My wife says our Ford and Toyota was/is 36 bucks, my Dodge was/is 86. (My memory is failing me!)

Last edited:

Good! Sugary soda, fast food and salt should be next! Welcome to the smoker's lounge!!!

<which, thanks to the Republicans in Virginia, is now located OUTSIDE of any public establishment>

Then make it illegal... but no.. the 'outrage' is tolerable to the crusader politicians only enough to get more $$ to waste in government programs...

sin taxes have always been popular

That's because Americans hate the sinners...but not the sin taxes they pay.

I actually agree with you on this

Though I would not say "Americans", but politicians... because they certainly love the $$ they can rape for social programs, pet projects, etc... acting to show the sadness or outrage, while wringing their hands in greedy expectation

Im not so sure youll be saving much by going to Virginia to buy alcohol, atleast liquor anyways. Our states liquor sales are monopolized by the Commonwealth of Virginia (liquior is only available at state run VA ABC stores). Historically, Maryland and North Carolina have been way more inexpensive places to buy liquor.

As alcohol is really non essential to anyones existence I see very little problems with state or local taxes being imposed on it as a source of revenue.

As alcohol is really non essential to anyones existence I see very little problems with state or local taxes being imposed on it as a source of revenue.
See? This is the problem. Someone ELSE has decided that a certain behavior or food or drink isn't "essential" so they want to raise taxes on it to prevent you from consuming it (Because they're so much smarter than everyone you know). But if they really cared they would ban it but they won't do that because they'd lose all the business and taxes.

I have a good idea. When it comes to what I eat and drink, why don't you mind your own business?

Last edited:
See? This is the problem. Someone ELSE has decided that a certain behavior or food or drink isn't "essential" so they want to raise taxes on it to prevent you from consuming it (Because they're so much smarter than everyone you know). But if they really cared they would ban it but they won't do that because they'd lose all the business and taxes.

I have a good idea. When it comes to what I eat and drink, why you mind your own business?

bingo

Taxes on alcohol, cigarettes etc. are just a Secular Government Equivalent to Selling Indulgences by corrupt Church Officials.

Are you suggesting that alcohol is actually essential to the sustained existence of a person and that the state of Maryland should ban alcohol?

I have a good idea. When it comes to what I eat and drink, why don't you mind your own business?

I agree but I dont understand how many Republicans can be so adamantly against taxing a recreational substance while adamantly supporting proscribing other recreational substances, say MDMA, and have the same opinion you just stated.

Forum List

Back