Moon Elevator

The Greys made him cancel our manned space flight program. When we disobeyed they shot down our shuttles. ...Seriously. What other possible motive is there to give away our superiority in that field?

Futuristic Moon Elevator Idea Takes Aim at Lunar Lifts

Only problem is Obama keeps cutting NASA's budget. And NASA has NO plans to build a system to send astronauts to space much less to the moon any time soon.

China and Russia do have space capability and are increasing that while we decrease ours.

Orion will be tested in September of this year. The SLS will be tested in 2017, with the full configuration fully operational by 2021. Yes, that is a long wait. But people tend to forget that we've been here before. The last Apollo mission was in 1972. Then there was Skylab, and humongous waste of time and resources. Then there was Apollo-Soyuz, another humongous waste of time and resources. The first shuttle launch was in 1981, so it was quite a wait before we got back into the swing of things.

It takes time to bring new technology and a major change in policy online. The Orion-SLS system will give us deep space capability that no other nation will have for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, Space-X will have the crewed Dragon capsule online in 3 years, while the Dreamchaser (and a man-rated Atlas V) will likely be available soon after that. In total, these systems will give us more capability (and more advanced capability) than we've ever had before. Stay tuned.

And several upcoming unmanned missions (such as Web) will likely be game changers.

And yes, NASA needs more money. There is no doubt about that.

The whole of science R and D needs more money. From energy to medical to space exploration, we need to prioratize R and D in this nation. Both liberals and conservatives agree on this. However, "Conservatives" are against any kind of science that does not meet the political ideologue ideas about how the world ought to be. And they are the primary stumbling block, and will put this nation behind other nations that are investing in R and D.

I remember old science fiction novels I used to read in my youth that would talk about elevators to the moon and how insanely cool that would be. This was around the time of the challenger disaster and people were publicly brain storming for ideas other than rockets and the dangers of the space shuttle missions. What an awesome ride that would be, imagine the view all the way to the top gleam.

I remember old science fiction novels I used to read in my youth that would talk about elevators to the moon and how insanely cool that would be. This was around the time of the challenger disaster and people were publicly brain storming for ideas other than rockets and the dangers of the space shuttle missions. What an awesome ride that would be, imagine the view all the way to the top gleam.

Have you read any Larry Nivan or Jerry Pournelly? I believe one or both of them have written on space elevators.

That takes money and some serious vision. Something certain people will be damned before they'd agree too.

Sad that the best America ever was is when those were written. People dreamed and imagined of advancing their country.

We can't even afford to keep the Space Shuttle system working. NASA scientists have been transferred to global warming labs where they presumably sit around and drink coffee all day. What is on the moon that we should go broke trying to find? Let the Russians do it.

The whole of science R and D needs more money. From energy to medical to space exploration, we need to prioratize R and D in this nation. Both liberals and conservatives agree on this. However, "Conservatives" are against any kind of science that does not meet the political ideologue ideas about how the world ought to be. And they are the primary stumbling block, and will put this nation behind other nations that are investing in R and D.

Remind me again who killed the our manned space program

Who was the president that killed the SSC

Which party was against development of lasers as missile defense

Which party supports the fraud known as manmade climate warming change

Sent from my Chinese Supercomputer made from XBox parts Bush sent to China

That takes money and some serious vision. Something certain people will be damned before they'd agree too.

Sad that the best America ever was is when those were written. People dreamed and imagined of advancing their country.

Yea except there is no amount of money that could make an elevator to the moon. Thus why it is called science fiction.

That's horse crap. Cons want what any smart person wants.... measurable-verifiable results for their investment. What they don't want is a bunch of hand waving and falsification of data, to support political goals.

Have you read any Larry Nivan or Jerry Pournelly? I believe one or both of them have written on space elevators.

That's Jerry Pournelle,.....he has written about Orion, but I don't recall him writing about a elevator, though I could certainly be wrong.

Yea except there is no amount of money that could make an elevator to the moon. Thus why it is called science fiction.

If you actually read anything you would know no one proposes an elevator from the earth to the moon. They propose an elevator from the surface of the moon to near space and an elevator from earth to near Earth Space.

The purpose of the moon elevator is to land material supplies and people easily with out the cost of a craft landing and taking off again. The purpose of an earth elevator is to get stuff into space easier and to bring stuff from space to earth easier.

As for why we would want to be on the moon? Resources, same with why we would want to mine the Asteroid belt.

Larry Niven>>One of my favorite writers

I'm afraid that 'sustainable' and "low Earth orbit' just don't go together in my mind. I understand there are people this excites... it fills me with dread.

We can't even afford to keep the Space Shuttle system working. NASA scientists have been transferred to global warming labs where they presumably sit around and drink coffee all day. What is on the moon that we should go broke trying to find? Let the Russians do it.

I may be uninformed, but doesn't the moon's orbit change in relationship to the earth? If you hook a tether from a single point on the earth to a single point on the moon won't it snap when the earth rotates? 

They have already picked the first astronaut of the manned Mars mission. So tell me again how Oblama killed NASA, their annual budget is around 8-9 billion....

I can't read Moon Elevator without thinking of the Moon Tower.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouRvtsOFbo].[/ame]

They have already picked the first astronaut of the manned Mars mission. So tell me again how Oblama killed NASA, their annual budget is around 8-9 billion....

Ummm the Mars mission is a private endeavor that has not even manged to get funded yet. So derp.

Forum List

Back