Months of Debate and a Joint Authorization from Congress...

Exposing and ending the corruption of Oil for Food justifies the Iraq action, all by itself IMO.

I don't think so....not when 8 billion out of the 10 billion that Saddam collected came from Jordan and turkey, the 2 countries that the usa backed and turned a blind eye to...

guess we will have to agree to disagree...

The CIA's Iraq Study Group has estimated that the illicit funds entering Iraq despite the sanctions placed against it totaled $10.9 billion, with $8 billion coming from smuggling outside the oil-for-food program. But that larger amount has received less scrutiny, while allegations of mismanagement and corruption in the oil-for-food program are the subject of investigations by the Justice Department, five congressional committees and an independent panel led by Paul Volcker, a former Federal Reserve Board chairman.

Volcker has promised that this aspect of Hussein's exploitation of U.N. sanctions will be examined in his final report in June, and in Washington it has drawn the particular attention of Sen. Carl M. Levin of Michigan, the ranking Democrat on the Senate permanent subcommittee on investigations, which is conducting its own inquiry into the program.

In an interview, Levin said he had no quarrel with Annan's comment. "There is no question that the bulk of the illicit oil revenues came from the open sale of Iraqi oil to Jordan and to Turkey, and that that was a way of going around the oil-for-food program," he said. "We were fully aware of the bypass and looked the other way." While he backed the continuing investigation of the U.N.'s management of the oil-for-food program, he said: "We have to look in the mirror here and recognize that the direct sales that we consented to and even facilitated were the major part of the illicit revenue."

U.S. pegged for leaky Iraq oil sanctions | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Exposing and ending the corruption of Oil for Food justifies the Iraq action, all by itself IMO.

I don't think so....not when 8 billion out of the 10 billion that Saddam collected came from Jordan and turkey, the 2 countries that the usa backed and turned a blind eye to...

The CIA's Iraq Study Group has estimated that the illicit funds entering Iraq despite the sanctions placed against it totaled $10.9 billion, with $8 billion coming from smuggling outside the oil-for-food program. But that larger amount has received less scrutiny, while allegations of mismanagement and corruption in the oil-for-food program are the subject of investigations by the Justice Department, five congressional committees and an independent panel led by Paul Volcker, a former Federal Reserve Board chairman.

Volcker has promised that this aspect of Hussein's exploitation of U.N. sanctions will be examined in his final report in June, and in Washington it has drawn the particular attention of Sen. Carl M. Levin of Michigan, the ranking Democrat on the Senate permanent subcommittee on investigations, which is conducting its own inquiry into the program.

In an interview, Levin said he had no quarrel with Annan's comment. "There is no question that the bulk of the illicit oil revenues came from the open sale of Iraqi oil to Jordan and to Turkey, and that that was a way of going around the oil-for-food program," he said. "We were fully aware of the bypass and looked the other way." While he backed the continuing investigation of the U.N.'s management of the oil-for-food program, he said: "We have to look in the mirror here and recognize that the direct sales that we consented to and even facilitated were the major part of the illicit revenue."

Um... Who ya Quotin' there?... ;)

:)

peace...

I don't support this any more than I supported the invasion of Iraq, but until we land troops, I don't really care that much. Aside from that, the law is actually very clear - Obama can send troops without Congressional approval for up to 60 days, as per the War Powers Resolution.

I don't support this any more than I supported the invasion of Iraq, but until we land troops, I don't really care that much. Aside from that, the law is actually very clear - Obama can send troops without Congressional approval for up to 60 days, as per the War Powers Resolution.

At a cost of between $500K and $1.4M each, what does the expelling of 196 Tomahawk cruise missiles against Libya gain the US taxpayer?

At a cost of between $500K and $1.4M each, what does the expelling of 196 Tomahawk cruise missiles against Libya gain the US taxpayer?

I don't Support the Troops, but I Support this War!... :thup:

peace...

Bush went to Congress to authorize an invasion force of 100,000+

Obama has approved the launch of cruise missiles

BIG difference

Yes---one asked congress for authorization to intervene in a foreign country with our military
One didn't.

It is not required. Authorizing a cruise missle attack/bombing is well within the authority of the Commander in Chief. Some things can't wait weeks for Congress to posture and pontificate

See Reagan, Clinton, Nixon

...but it could wait weeks while he played footsies with UN security council members to get the votes and abstentions he needed?

I don't Support the Troops, but I Support this War!... :thup:

peace...

Huh?:eusa_eh:

peace...

you are welcomed and capable of finding the Senate hearings, if that is what you need to satisfy yourself.

It won't change what I have posted Mal. ;)

peace...

you are welcomed and capable of finding the Senate hearings, if that is what you need to satisfy yourself.

It won't change what I have posted Mal. ;)

It's right there in your Data:

Sen. Carl M. Levin of Michigan, the ranking Democrat

peace...

BIG difference

Yes---one asked congress for authorization to intervene in a foreign country with our military
One didn't.

It is not required. Authorizing a cruise missle attack/bombing is well within the authority of the Commander in Chief. Some things can't wait weeks for Congress to posture and pontificate

Republicans don't understand, they just have blind hatred for all things Obama.

One didn't.

^Vomit.

Had Dubya done this in 2008 you would have Shit yourself with Outrage and Emotion and Cries of UnConstitutionality and Violations of International Law and the Murder of Innocent Civlians for MOAR EARL, exxxxxcetera, exxxxxxcetera...

Sit and spin Dingleberry. :thup:

peace...

^Vomit.

Had Dubya done this in 2008 you would have Shit yourself with Outrage and Emotion and Cries of UnConstitutionality and Violations of International Law and the Murder of Innocent Civlians for MOAR EARL, exxxxxcetera, exxxxxxcetera...

peace...

really, honey?

how much congressional input did reagan have before grenada?

hint: none.

whether it's right, wrong or indifferent, you need to look at the war powers act and how it's been used.

^Vomit.

peace...

really, honey?

Hi Sweety... ;)

Is what I said in Red an Accurate Prediction of what would have been?...

The Honest Answer is: Affirmative.

How you been?...

peace...

^Vomit.

peace...

really, honey?

Hi Sweety... ;)

How you been?...

peace...

some people would have. some people wouldn't have. the ron paul types would have felt the same as the left.

but... like i said... what did reagan do? hopefully, this little adventure won't be a very long-lasting one.

and come to think of it, has congress ever declared war on iraq? afghanistan?

but to slice and dice through all the B.S., whatever the war powers act really requires, this is how it's been used for decades. do you know when our last declared war was? if i'm not mistaken, our last declared war was WWII.

And I'm good, honey. Thanks. You?

really, honey?

Hi Sweety... ;)

How you been?...

peace...

some people would have. some people wouldn't have. the ron paul types would have felt the same as the left.

but... like i said... what did reagan do? hopefully, this little adventure won't be a very long-lasting one.

but to slice and dice through all the B.S., whatever the war powers act really requires, this is how it's been used for decades. do you know when our last declared war was? if i'm not mistaken, our last declared war was WWII.

And I'm good, honey. Thanks. You?

So everyone Understands, I don't read the Constitution Dishonestly...

There is no Requirement there regarding a Declaration of War, simply a Power of doing so that Lies with the Congress, not the President.

peace...

BIG difference

One didn't.

so now we are down to excuses? What happened to the new change and hope? he has to conform with the WPR act. for one and then of course theres always the old rope a dope;

Barack Obama's Q&A
By Charlie Savage
Globe Staff / December 20, 2007

2. In what circumstances, if any, would the president have constitutional authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from Congress? (Specifically, what about the strategic bombing of suspected nuclear sites -- a situation that does not involve stopping an IMMINENT threat?)

The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch. It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action.

As for the specific question about bombing suspected nuclear sites, I recently introduced S.J. Res. 23, which states in part that “any offensive military action taken by the United States against Iran must be explicitly authorized by Congress.” The recent NIE tells us that Iran in 2003 halted its effort to design a nuclear weapon. While this does not mean that Iran is no longer a threat to the United States or its allies, it does give us time to conduct aggressive and principled personal diplomacy aimed at preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

more at-
Boston.com - Special reports - News

the whole article has become a treatise in hypocrisy.

Last edited:
really, honey?

Hi Sweety... ;)

How you been?...

peace...

congress authorized Iraq, anyway, you are a lawyer if I a not mistaken?

And the Left was still Calling Iraq "Unconstitutional" and everything else from Vietnam to Nazism...

And even Today, the Lefties who are going after Barry for Libya aren't being Honest when they say this is what Booooosh did.

Barry didn't take it to Congress nor did he get a Joint Authorization for this 3rd War... At least Dubya did... And waited and waited for Saddam's friends in France to hold up the Job for him.

One more thing... the UN ain't the Boss of us, People... :thup:

peace...

BIG difference

I'm sure the guy blown up in a tomahawk strike will be glad he wasn't killed by a grunt with an M-16.

Forum List

Back