Montana town wants Gitmo prisoners

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
HARDIN, Montana (CNN) -- The tiny town of Hardin, Montana, is offering an answer to a very thorny question: Where should the nation put terror detainees if the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, is shut down by the end of the year as President Obama has pledged?

Hardin, Montana, says the Two Rivers Regional Detention Facility should be used for Gitmo detainees.

Hardin, population 3,400, sits in the southeast corner of Montana, in the state's poorest county. Its small downtown is almost deserted at midday. The Dollar Store is going out of business. The Hardin Mini Mall is already shut. The town needs jobs -- and fast.

Hardin borrowed $27 million through bonds to build the Two Rivers Regional Correctional Facility in hopes of creating new employment opportunities. The jail was ready for prisoners two years ago, but has yet to house a single prisoner.

People here say politics in the capital of Helena has kept it empty. But the city council last month voted 5-0 to back a proposal to bring Gitmo detainees -- some of the most hardened terrorists in the world -- to the facility.

"It would bring jobs. Believe it or not, it would even bring hope and opportunity," Greg Smith, Hardin's economic development director, told CNN.

Hard-luck Montana town pushes to house Gitmo detainees - CNN.com

If we have to house them on US soil, I think a town that volunteers in order to create jobs is a good selection.

Bad idea...

Attachments

• $hardin_mt.jpg
    $hardin_mt.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 102
Are there other options? If so,what are they?

I wonder why a brand new prison hasn't been used for 2 years? Seems like a big waste of money to me, they need to find a way to use that place.

Has anyone asked what the rest of the population of Montana wants? Seems that 3400 shouldn't dictate to the rest of the populous. Just sayin...

My older sister and brother in law live in Montana. I'm going to email them that article and ask them what they think.

Bad idea...

Yeah, that target will be great for all the bombers Al-Queda is totally going to fly over Montana.
Yeah, they'll do a bombing raid (American Airlines, maybe?), slaughter the people they want to get out of that Podunk town, located in the middle of nowhere, right after they do the live interview with the slobbering news media, and before they send in the choppers to recover the dead bodies of the people they came to get. Shez...

I wonder why a brand new prison hasn't been used for 2 years? Seems like a big waste of money to me, they need to find a way to use that place.

I don't think Obama had Hardin, Mt. in mind when he announced the closing of Gitmo. I'm not saying not to house them, but let the people of the state speak. Pleae let's not let 3400 dictate something the rest of the state doesn't want Seems nobody wants them housed on our soil. Also, there are some problems with the prison that would need major upgrading to get the "super max quality".

If You Build It They Will Come if Contractually Obligated.
Don’t know the backstory of the Hardin jail? Here’s the short version. Hardin’s broke. They financed a huge private prison with City bonds without securing any actual prison contracts before breaking ground. Thus, Hardin has a 464-bed, very empty, very new-ish prison which the State of Montana finds unfit to house prisoners because the “dormitory style” design is “insufficiently secure” and the determination that prison populations in Montana are dropping (“dormitory style” here means that prisoners are kept in “pods” of up to 24 inmates rather than cells of one or two). The result is that Hardin owes $27 million and they had to make their first payment of $200,000 in January. As of today, their loans are in default.

Welcome to Montanamo Bay: Hardin Montana continues its campaign to become Gitmo North

Last edited:

I don't think Obama had Hardin, Mt. in mind when he announced the closing of Gitmo. I'm not saying not to house them, but let the people of the state speak. Pleae let's not let 3400 dictate something the rest of the state doesn't want Seems nobody wants them housed on our soil. Also, there are some problems with the prison that would need major upgrading to get the "super max quality".

If You Build It They Will Come if Contractually Obligated.
Don’t know the backstory of the Hardin jail? Here’s the short version. Hardin’s broke. They financed a huge private prison with City bonds without securing any actual prison contracts before breaking ground. Thus, Hardin has a 464-bed, very empty, very new-ish prison which the State of Montana finds unfit to house prisoners because the “dormitory style” design is “insufficiently secure” and the determination that prison populations in Montana are dropping (“dormitory style” here means that prisoners are kept in “pods” of up to 24 inmates rather than cells of one or two). The result is that Hardin owes $27 million and they had to make their first payment of $200,000 in January. As of today, their loans are in default.

Welcome to Montanamo Bay: Hardin Montana continues its campaign to become Gitmo North
That's not good, BO might buy the jail or the town. :eek:

Seriously though, we wouldn't only have to secure the jail, we'd have to secure the town, the state, and a huge section of the northern boarder. Montana is proud and independent state, and I doubt very much that they’ll go for it. They’re not going to put up with the federal government interfering with their liberties. They’re already pissed off about the fed interfering with states’ rights.

chris is a moron, they dont actually want the prisoners, they want the influx of federal money that would be sure to follow

dont kid yourself Chris, you keep proving what so many think you are a fucking moron over and over

Bad idea...

Lets say one of these animals escapes an hijacks a plane. Wouldn't that expose everyone in the US to a terror attack? So you should ask everyone in the US if they agree with having terrorist in the US.

Bad idea...

Lets say one of these animals escapes an hijacks a plane. Wouldn't that expose everyone in the US to a terror attack? So you should ask everyone in the US if they agree with having terrorist in the US.

There are already terrorists being held in prisons in the US.

Yeah, they just trained four guys in New York to attack a synogogue and shoot down aircraft. The prisons will be a regular farm system for terrorists.

I suggest you watch a few episodes of "Lockup, Raw" on MSNBC this weekend.

These terrorists are punks compare to the homegrown nutcases in American prisons.

Forum List

Back