Mom Takes swings at kids on bus

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Personally, I think the kids involved did need a beat-down....

http://www.local10.com/news/3998577/detail.html

Police: School Bus Camera Catches Mom Beating Student

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. --

A Lake County mom was arrested after a camera on a school bus caught her beating a student who had gotten into a fight on a school bus, police said.

The camera shows three girls throwing punches at the back of the bus as a woman in a white shirt, Rita Gooden, walks back.

The camera shows Gooden push one girl out of the way, then strike another girl. The child appears to be pinned to a back seat out of view of the camera as the apparent beating continues.

Gooden is charged with simple battery, and she faces up to a year behind bars.

Can't really tell from the picture, but the article says "The child appears to be pinned...as the beating continues" so it was probably more than just a slap in the face. Just in my opinion I wouldn't want some random stranger slapping my child, especially a bus driver, even if they were being disruptive. Let the parents discipline the child if they wish.

ciplexian said:
Can't really tell from the picture, but the article says "The child appears to be pinned...as the beating continues" so it was probably more than just a slap in the face. Just in my opinion I wouldn't want some random stranger slapping my child, especially a bus driver, even if they were being disruptive. Let the parents discipline the child if they wish.

see above.... I hadn't seen the video, but now I have. She should be pinned down and beat by the FATHER of the girl she was hitting.

-=d=- said:
Don't imprison her...Promote her, and give her a large pay raise. Put the parents of the kid(s) in question behind bars.

wow -=d=-, I always considered you smarter than that statement. You have no idea about the situation. Perhaps it was her daughter that was wrong in the first place and she just lent a "hand" because blood is thicker than water.....

An adult's job is to stop such nonsense, not promote it.

You say put the parents of the kids in question, well, she is the parent of the one of them, so you are being contradictory in your statement.

Did anybody see what I saw? She got on the bus, stopped to watch and only when she saw her daughter was losing did she wade in and beat the snot out of the girl hitting her daughter.

This in no way gives her the right to beat the snot out of the girl that was winning a fight against her daughter, it just seemed odd that she stopped to watch at all. Then to find out it was only to see if her daughter would win the fight.

no1tovote4 said:
Did anybody see what I saw? She got on the bus, stopped to watch and only when she saw her daughter was losing did she wade in and beat the snot out of the girl hitting her daughter.

This in no way gives her the right to beat the snot out of the girl that was winning a fight against her daughter, it just seemed odd that she stopped to watch at all. Then to find out it was only to see if her daughter would win the fight.

I agree. The mom needs a beating.

I remember when I was about 9 getting into a fight. My dad was watching and I was git'n my butt beat bad. I ran home only to have my dad tell me, "son, git your ass back out there and defend yourself".

Today, the parents run into the mêlée and pick up the slack for their kids.

freeandfun1 said:
wow -=d=-, I always considered you smarter than that statement. You have no idea about the situation. Perhaps it was her daughter that was wrong in the first place and she just lent a "hand" because blood is thicker than water.....

An adult's job is to stop such nonsense, not promote it.

You say put the parents of the kids in question, well, she is the parent of the one of them, so you are being contradictory in your statement.

Maybe I should have read the link?

from what was quoted the impression I got was: Lady sees some girls beating up another. She walks back and beats the beaters.

Nothing wrong with that - in that context.

freeandfun1 said:
I remember when I was about 9 getting into a fight. My dad was watching and I was git'n my butt beat bad. I ran home only to have my dad tell me, "son, git your ass back out there and defend yourself".

Actually I didnt realize kids even got into real fights anymore. When I was a kid I never got into any physical fights after about age 5, we were all too scared of authority. When I was in high school though once I just lost my temper and punched a kid right in the middle of class! Of course I shouldn't have done it but not a single person did anything. The teacher was standing just 10 feet away and didn't even see it. Afterwards I said to the kid I punched, ok, you can take me out back and we'll have a real fight outside, but after we got there the other kid didn't really do anything so nothing came of it.

-=d=- said:
Maybe I should have read the link?

from what was quoted the impression I got was: Lady sees some girls beating up another. She walks back and beats the beaters.

Nothing wrong with that - in that context.

I did the same thing.

ciplexian,

Oh, wow! YES, kids fight, REALLY fight nowadays. I agree with you, I saw one, maybe two fistfights when I was in middleschool and highschool, which wasn't that long ago, but long enough...but two years ago I was teaching in an inner city high school, and I would estimate I saw at least one a week.

The mother in question SHOULD have broken up the fight. Perhaps some here are of the mindset that the girls should have "fought it out," but a school bus is not an appropriate place to do that, and a bus driver and parent can not, in todays world, watch two children fighting and do nothing about it.

The moment she laid a hand on someone else's child in anything other than an attempt to get the child away from hers, she broke the law. I hope that she gets the anger management classes she so obviously needs along with whatever criminal sentence acccompanies simply assault.

Forum List

Back