Mom mauled by pit bulls wakes from coma to find arms amputated

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A South Carolina mom who had both her arms amputated after being savagely mauled by three pit bulls was so upset by her condition when she awoke from a coma that doctors decided to put her under sedation again, according to her sister.

Kyleen Waltman, 38, was critically injured when she was attacked by the dogs on a sidewalk in Honea Path northwest of Columbia on March 21.

A man who saw Waltman being mauled was eventually able to scare the animals off by firing his gun into the air.

Her sister Amy Wynne has said Waltman also lost part of her colon and may have to have a section of her esophagus removed.

Poor, poor woman....To add insult to injury the owner of the dogs was just charged with misdemeanors.

The dogs’ owner, Justin Minor, has been charged with three misdemeanor counts of owning a dangerous animal that attacked and injured a human, rabies control violation and dangerous animal not permitted beyond premises unless restrained

I love animals but we had our dog killed by a pitbull. My wife's reflexes kicked in and she jumped on it's back to get it off our dog. I think now how that could have turned really bad. If I ever see that dog out of it's yard again, I will kill it.

I have been saying it for at least 10 years.
This breed needs a national reset.
The original breed was a gentle protector. Ideal for a family pet. Not prone to attack anyone or other animals.
But beginning in the 1980, nefarious breeders starting purposefully mating aggressive and large pits. Over 40 years of doing this, today it is pretty much impossible to obtain a pit bull whose bloodline is not tainted. The breed is basically ruined.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.
1) Immediately make it illegal with heavy fines and even criminal prosecution for breeding.
2) Every pit bull must be spade/neutered or face $1000 fine per animal.
3) All pit owners are required to have 6 ft. fencing around property with closed gates at all times. If this is not possible, then the dog must be surrendered.
FUTURE OF THE BREED
It may not be possible to save them. Public safety is paramount to saving the breed. Due to egregiously irresponsible breeding it is possible that there are no original bloodlines left.

Irresponsible dog owners are more likely to choose pit bulls as opposed to other breeds and train the dogs to be bad.

Pit bulls can be good too, like Pete the Pup in the Little Rascals films.

The original breed was a gentle protector. Ideal for a family pet. Not prone to attack anyone or other animals.
But beginning in the 1980, nefarious breeders starting purposefully mating aggressive and large pits. Over 40 years of doing this, today it is pretty much impossible to obtain a pit bull whose bloodline is not tainted. The breed is basically ruined.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.
1) Immediately make it illegal with heavy fines and even criminal prosecution for breeding.
3) All pit owners are required to have 6 ft. fencing around property with closed gates at all times. If this is not possible, then the dog must be surrendered.
FUTURE OF THE BREED
It may not be possible to save them. Public safety is paramount to saving the breed. Due to egregiously irresponsible breeding it is possible that there are no original bloodlines left.

If pit bulls are no longer around, people who want mean ass dogs will just train German Shepherds or Rotts for the same duty. A neighbor of mine currently has a snapping and snarling Golden Retriever that she walks. It isn't the breed, its the owners.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.
FUTURE OF THE BREED
In my new home, I am living next door to a couple with two pits and only a four foot chain link fence, and I'm just a bit concerned. I've met the dogs and I adore them -- they are very affectionate and even protective of neighborhood kids, and I have been in their home and not been intimidated by the dogs -- but you never know.

I'm trying to adopt a small dog after losing my dog a while ago, and I guess I'll have to deal with the unknown. Maybe the shelter will not even allow me to adopt unless I build the taller fence.

The last time a dog snapped at me was a bichon frise, and those mutts are supposed to be nice. It isn't the breed that makes a dog surly, its the owner

If pit bulls are no longer around, people who want mean ass dogs will just train German Shepherds or Rotts for the same duty. A neighbor of mine currently has a snapping and snarling Golden Retriever that she walks. It isn't the breed, its the owners.
Not necessarily true.
Dog fighting became popular in the 80s. I remember story after story of busted properties hosting fights, including more than one around here. Once that fell out of favor due to proper law enforcement, idiots began breeding them to be ridiculously large. In particular are the dogs named "bullies". And example is "Monster Bully Kennels where they specifically breed over muscled pits that lead miserable lives due to numerous health problems.

These all should be shut down permanently.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.
FUTURE OF THE BREED
I feel an extreme need to apply a racial slur here.
Thou shalt refraineth

The last time a dog snapped at me was a bichon frise, and those mutts are supposed to be nice. It isn't the breed that makes a dog surly, its the owner
My little mini Aussie was bred by nature to be an ankle nipper, but she got a bit radical on two occasions. The point is, eventually I knew this about her and it was my responsibility to protect others from what was her inbred nippiness.

The owner(s) of the maulers in the OP need to be in prison.

It is always a crap shoot with dogs. My aussie was probably the most obedient dog I ever had. She would just walk beside me and smile. She would let little kids pet her, but when it came to adults the second they stuck their hand out toward her, she was a snarling barking bitch ready to take them apart. As soon as they took their hand back, she was a smiling happy girl again.

As I have posted before, I was happy when the pit that got dumped on us died. He was a bit too bipolar for me at 70+ pounds of pure muscle, he walked you, not the other way around.

Anyway, this is why I don't walk/jog on the streets anymore. Too many sketchy dogs.

The other problems with pits is they are a nervous breed. And dumb.
So you have a nervous, dumb animal that has a propensity to resort to quick violence.
My nephew loves them. He has 2 of them. I don't like them. He brought one of them here, and it would be fine one minute and then all I or Bonzi would do is walk across the room and it would get alarmed and start barking with my nephew stepping in. So I told him he can't have them here anymore. Unfortunately that was almost 2 years ago. And he hasn't been back since. We get along fine and talk on phone, but I can't have a skittish, nervous dog attacking Bonzi if she gets up to pee.

A South Carolina mom who had both her arms amputated after being savagely mauled by three pit bulls was so upset by her condition when she awoke from a coma that doctors decided to put her under sedation again, according to her sister.

Kyleen Waltman, 38, was critically injured when she was attacked by the dogs on a sidewalk in Honea Path northwest of Columbia on March 21.

A man who saw Waltman being mauled was eventually able to scare the animals off by firing his gun into the air.

Her sister Amy Wynne has said Waltman also lost part of her colon and may have to have a section of her esophagus removed.

Poor, poor woman....To add insult to injury the owner of the dogs was just charged with misdemeanors.

The dogs’ owner, Justin Minor, has been charged with three misdemeanor counts of owning a dangerous animal that attacked and injured a human, rabies control violation and dangerous animal not permitted beyond premises unless restrained
What is the most that a person can get with three misdemeanor charges?

God bless you and the woman always!!!

Holly

It absolutely, positively IS the breed:

the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.
And that was in 2017. Since then the attacks have increased alarmingly.

1649976236193.png

Pitbull. Statistically, Pitbull attack people more than any other dog in the world. This breed of dog has the highest number of confirmed attacks on humans at 3,397 attacks.

And, a mean lab or retriever is very uncommon. They are one of the least likely breeds to turn on a human and yet are extremely protective and loyal.

The shelters are full of Pit Bulls, all just little sweeties until they snarl at your toddler who wandered to close to the feed bowl, or rips some bystander's arms to shreds for no reason.

Last edited:
There is no reason to have a dog that another breed is not a better choice than a pitbull. Unforgivably irresponsible.

Years ago a traumatic injury like that would have resulted in death from shock and/or loss of blood but the 1st responders are so skilled today that they manage to save these people.

^^^ I pray that prosthetic body parts have only gotten better these days compared to how they used to be.

God bless you and the woman always!!!

Holly

P.S. May there be a good and thorough house cleaning where the legal part of the picture is concerned.

It absolutely, positively IS the breed:

the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.
And that was in 2017. Since then the attacks have increased alarmingly.

View attachment 630694

Pitbull. Statistically, Pitbull attack people more than any other dog in the world. This breed of dog has the highest number of confirmed attacks on humans at 3,397 attacks.

And, a mean lab or retriever is very uncommon. They are one of the least likely breeds to turn on a human and yet are extremely protective and loyal.

The shelters are full of Pit Bulls, all just little sweeties until they snarl at your toddler who wandered to close to the feed bowl, or rips some bystander's arms to shreds for no reason.
It certainly does appear to be the breed.

Mom Forced to Stab Family Pet to Death as 2 Dogs Attacked Her Baby: 'My Daughter Was Going to Die'​

Mom Forced to Stab Family Pet to Death as 2 Dogs Attacked Her Baby: 'My Daughter Was Going to Die'

Forum List

Back