Modern Veil: Labyrinth of Dianetics

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a modernism mural inspired by Akira.

Signing off,

eagle.jpg

====

Americans purchased Blu-ray copies of the modernism-paranoia films The Beach (Danny Boyle) and Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott), which presented images of monstrosity and isolationism, themes relevant to a modern age spiritual claustrophobia about industrialization/bureaucracy. These films symbolized a general civilization anxiety regarding perceptions of heaven and hell in a world ruled by machinery and commerce.

beach4.jpg

American 'characters' were arrayed in psycho-sociologically symbolic positions in the modern media age. They were 'virtual role-models' (be they exciting Hollywood movie superstars making films about mainstream customs or idealistic Internet-blogging liberals preaching about the value of leftist poetics). Pedestrians wondered who were the 'new gods' (celebrities or political cartoonists!).

beach1.jpg

Science-fiction was very popular in mainstream culture, and various films about dazzling tech, toys, lasers, lights, and electricity seemed to be the new 'campfire experience.' Science-fiction films presented ideas about the apocalypse, time-travel, genetic mutation, weapons, evil robots, etc. These new society mosaics symbolized an evolved sense of community values, but would NASDAQ replace Little House on the Prairie?

beach5.jpg

Ivy League schools (Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Columbia, UPenn) offered rich libraries full of books representing the wealth of human knowledge and imagination across history. Idealistic students or commercially-ambitious students daydreamed about how to contribute to this new 'consumerism-aesthetics' universe (e.g., eBay, eTrade, Amazon.com, IKEA, etc.). Art and literature and creative-writing students thought about how aesthetics was affecting modern metaphysics (e.g., Book Girl).

beach6.jpg

Americans stilled cared about 'traditional' norms/values, and movies about the heroism and romance of yesteryear (e.g., WWII heroism, Washington hospitality/magic, Christian studies, smalltown adventures, etc.) reminded modern consumers of the timeless appeal of general chivalry imagery (e.g., Saving Private Ryan).

beach7.jpg

Americans invested in family-vacations, travel coupons, fast-food, and video-games. It was a recreational world in which a capitalism-baron (Donald Trump) was elected as U.S. President! How would this modern mass movement of traffic-oriented 'energy' be coordinated with industrialization worries regarding human waste (i.e., eco-pollution)? American social leaders felt obligated to discuss the real impact of all this poetry...

beach8.jpg

SHIVA: You know I'm the master of destruction...
LEATHERFACE: Anarchy!
SHIVA: Wrong. Modern civilization requires more networking meditation (and peace).
LEATHERFACE: Facebook?
SHIVA: I like Facebook, but I'm also talking about Olive Garden and the European Union.
LEATHERFACE: Government...
SHIVA: There's nothing wrong with serious academics!
LEATHERFACE: Food!
SHIVA: Yes, people think first about their tummies, which is why obesity should be addressed.
LEATHERFACE: Evil gluttony.
SHIVA: Burger King creates a 'cholesterol-culture,' so we need to consider temperance.
LEATHERFACE: Bed, Bath & Beyond.
SHIVA: And Toys 'R Us, IKEA, Wal-Mart, KMart, and GNC.
LEATHERFACE: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?
SHIVA: And Saving Private Ryan!
LEATHERFACE: Celebrities!
SHIVA: And media-gurus (e.g., Don Imus, Howard Stern).
LEATHERFACE: Saturday morning cartoons...
SHIVA: My favorite was Super Mario Brothers.
LEATHERFACE: I want my MTV.

pairing.jpg

Is capitalism incompatible with democracy? What about the World Bank? Is networking incompatible with privacy? What about Facebook? Is folk-storytelling incompatible with Wall Street ambition? What about Richie Rich? Is technology incompatible with religion? What about A.I. (Artificial Intelligence)? These are the questions for President Donald Trump and modern civilization. So who will answer them? That remains unanswered...(my vote goes to Tom Cruise!).

====

:dance:

elf.jpg

Forum List

Back