MLS Tied with MLB for Popularity Amongst 12-17 Year-Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a weekend its been in the English and Spanish leagues. I've seen close to 60 goals scored. Not bad for a sport that allegedly doesn't have enough scoring.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Meh....

Goals scored is a farce anyhow. Real soccer fans will tell you that it comes down to the intricacies and great skills. If the ADHD boys want to complain there's not enough scoring, that's their deal.

What a weekend its been in the English and Spanish leagues. I've seen close to 60 goals scored. Not bad for a sport that allegedly doesn't have enough scoring.

Meh....

Goals scored is a farce anyhow. Real soccer fans will tell you that it comes down to the intricacies and great skills. If the ADHD boys want to complain there's not enough scoring, that's their deal.

Not just been the quantity though. Quality has been there too...some real golazos scored over the top leagues. I agree in practice though. I am a purist at heart when it comes to the game itself. I appreciate the nuances greatly, but also recognize the more mainstream qualities. Weekends like this are perfect for those who are newcomers to the sport. El Clasico was a real advertisement, I felt as well.

The question was raised as to whether top-level soccer players are great athletes (when compared to top-level players at other sports).

Obviously, soccer players can run, and they can run for a relatively long period of time, although I dispute the claim that they are running continuously for 90 monutes (45, to be more accurate). Most of that time they are just jogging around. And of course they have big legs. So what? Football linemen have legs that are as big as most soccer players' waists.

But being able to run and kick a ball is only one part of being athletic. Great soccer players can do amazing things WITH THEIR LEGS AND FEET, but they are only amazing because they are done with their legs and feet. I fthey were doing the same things with their hands it would be no big deal. Nothing a soccer player does requires as much skill as playing tennis, pitching baseball, golfing, or playing basketball at the top levels. They are kicking a fucking ball, for goodness sake.

As far as upper body strength, the fact that it is not required to have strong arms to play soccer is irrelevant; it is required to be a top athlete. If a bowler has a giant, strong right arm does that make him a great athlete? Of course not.

The reason why soccer will never have mass appeal in the U.S. is because the higher the level of competition, the fewer goals will be scored. You could show all of the highlights of the entire World Cup tournament in a fifteen minute video - the championship game in 30 seconds, tops.

Wake me up when it's over.

What a load of tosh. The very fact they do use their feet to do such amazing things is the point. With tennis, baseball and gridiron they are using their primary limbs used for co ordination - their hands. That gives them a massive advantage.

The whole point of football (soccer) is that how they get there to score goals. As for not enough goals, you obviously didn't watch the EPL this weekend. Chelsea 6 - Arsenal 0, Liverpool 6 - Cardiff 3.

You could watch the whole Super Bowl highlights in about three minutes, but you have to sit through FOUR HOURS to watch the damn thing. Snore fest. And don't even get me started on coma-inducing baseball.

Baseball players are throwing a ball for fucks sake, a basketball player is bouncing a ball for fucks sake.... you get the picture..

Last edited:
Let's switch dead horses for a moment. You say that baseball is boring, and I point out to you that the millions of people who watch it don't find it boring at all, because they KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON when nobody is hitting a home run.

Now switch to soccer (or if you prefer, "football"). A bunch of guys kicking a ball around a big grassy field. For 95% of the game, there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE THAT ANYTHING WILL HAPPEN THAT COULD AFFECT THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. The ball is at least 50 yards (47 metres to you) away from the goal. A couple times during each half, the ball moves in closer so that a goal is POSSIBLE, but most of the time one of the nancies kicks it away and its 50 yards out again.

Clearly, a soccer fan would not see the game the same way I do, because I "don't understand the game."

You would have to pay me at least $50 to sit through a professional soccer game, buy me a beer and pay for my parking as well. It would be torture.

Speaking of not understanding a game. 99 percent of the time something could happen to affect an outcome in football. The goal is close to the goal a huge amount of the time.

Torture? I don't need sleeping pills - I just switch over to ESPN and watch a baseball game or NFL game and I'm out in seconds...

The question was raised as to whether top-level soccer players are great athletes (when compared to top-level players at other sports).

Obviously, soccer players can run, and they can run for a relatively long period of time, although I dispute the claim that they are running continuously for 90 monutes (45, to be more accurate). Most of that time they are just jogging around. And of course they have big legs. So what? Football linemen have legs that are as big as most soccer players' waists.

But being able to run and kick a ball is only one part of being athletic. Great soccer players can do amazing things WITH THEIR LEGS AND FEET, but they are only amazing because they are done with their legs and feet. I fthey were doing the same things with their hands it would be no big deal. Nothing a soccer player does requires as much skill as playing tennis, pitching baseball, golfing, or playing basketball at the top levels. They are kicking a fucking ball, for goodness sake.

As far as upper body strength, the fact that it is not required to have strong arms to play soccer is irrelevant; it is required to be a top athlete. If a bowler has a giant, strong right arm does that make him a great athlete? Of course not.

The reason why soccer will never have mass appeal in the U.S. is because the higher the level of competition, the fewer goals will be scored. You could show all of the highlights of the entire World Cup tournament in a fifteen minute video - the championship game in 30 seconds, tops.

Wake me up when it's over.

What a load of tosh. The very fact they do use their feet to do such amazing things is the point. With tennis, baseball and gridiron they are using their primary limbs used for co ordination - their hands. That gives them a massive advantage.

The whole point of football (soccer) is that how they get there to score goals. As for not enough goals, you obviously didn't watch the EPL this weekend. Chelsea 6 - Arsenal 0, Liverpool 6 - Cardiff 3.

You could watch the whole Super Bowl highlights in about three minutes, but you have to sit through FOUR HOURS to watch the damn thing. Snore fest. And don't even get me started on coma-inducing baseball.

Baseball players are throwing a ball for fucks sake, a basketball player is bouncing a ball for fucks sake.... you get the picture..

LOL - I don't agree with the minimization of the baseball/basketball/football players' skills and expertise. But you are essentially mirroring their lame argumentation style. So, there's that.

Shows you how far baseball has fallen....uuughhh

The players and the owners did it themselves.Its not surprising really.Its hard for kids to love baseball these days when players are moving from one team to another playing the game for the love of the money instead of the love for the game.

Cal Ripken was the last of his breed and the last of his we will see where players stayed with one team their entire career.

Im glad I got to see him the last few years of his playing career when the orioles visited the royals here in Kc.I will treasure that a long time.It was the same as when I got to watch George Brett his entire time here.You knew you were watching a legend.

the good old days are sadly gone now where players like Brett and Ripken played the game for the love of the game instead of the money. with soccer,they are pretty much playing it for the love of the game,they dont make anywhere near the big bucks that baseball does I have to assume?

Last edited:
Shows you how far baseball has fallen....uuughhh

The players and the owners did it themselves.Its not surprising really.Its hard for kids to love baseball these days when players are moving from one team to another playing the game for the love of the money instead of the love for the game.

Grow up, that's every professional sport.

I took you off ignore because i figured at LEAST in the sports section,you wouldnt act so childish.Looks like I figured wrong.:asshole:

Grow up, that's every professional sport.

I took you off ignore because i figured at LEAST in the sports section,you wouldnt act so childish.Looks like I figured wrong.

Did they let you out of the Conspiracy Forum on furlough? Bad move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back