MLK would not recognize today’s Civil Rights movement.

"Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."

"A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for the Negro."

Too much "doing"..Frederick Douglass was right..... your "doing" has contributed to the disintegration of the traditional black family in the inner city

"Everybody has asked the question, and they learned to ask it early of the abolitionists, 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us."

Frederick Douglass

Don't look at me, I didn't say those quotes.

"Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."

"A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for the Negro."

Too much "doing"..Frederick Douglass was right..... your "doing" has contributed to the disintegration of the traditional black family in the inner city

"Everybody has asked the question, and they learned to ask it early of the abolitionists, 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us."

Frederick Douglass

Considering the situation as it is... Fredrick Douglass's quote is right on target.:cool:

Frederick Douglass

Considering the situation as it is... Fredrick Douglass's quote is right on target.:cool:

I'm sure you feel very proud of yourself.

Frederick Douglass

information is your friend...you're wlecome

Frederick Douglass

information is your friend...you're wlecome

Information: a sentence or two from Douglass after that quote:

"All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone! If you see him on his way to school, let him alone, -- don't disturb him!

If you see him going to the dinner-table at a hotel, let him go!
If you see him going to the ballot-box, let him alone, -- don't disturb him! (Applause.)
If you see him going into a work-shop, just let him alone, -- your interference is doing him a positive injury."

Frederick Douglass Project: "What the Black Man Wants" | RBSCP

Forum List

Back