Mitt Romney Grilled By Gay Veteran On Same-Sex Marriage Rights

it's not about acknowledgement, imo, it's about equality.

i think you're right about 2050.

One of the main reasons that marxism fails again and again is the fact that humanity is NOT all equal or uniform. We all have our strength's and weakness and you Marxist can't change that no matter how hard you try! You tried killing your way to it, but that didn't even work. :badgrin:

You really, really hate that 14th amendment, don't you?

I have no problem with the 14th Amendment.

I have a huge problem with the notion that the 14th Amendment is a box of cracker jack with free prizes inside.

"Look, I found the right to abortion on demand!"

"Hey, I found the right to marry a sheep!"

I think we should have an honest, political- not judicial- discourse on this, and let it fall where it may.
It’s too late for that, the Court will decide the issue.

Of course, if there were an ‘honest, political- not judicial- discourse on this,’ it wouldn’t be an issue in the first place; indeed, there’d be no need for a ‘judicial solution’ as all 50 states would abide by the 14th Amendment and allow everyone access to their respective marriage laws.

That wasn't what the 14th Amendment was meant for. And it's kind of silly to claim you've found a right to an abortion 100 years later or a right to homosexual marriage 140 years later because you couldn't get those things through the legislature in a timely enough manner for you.

And it really doesn't compare to Loving at all, as much as you want it to. Marriage has ALWAYS been defined as one man, one woman. Now if you want to redefine it, fine. As long as you can get 51% of the population to agree with you. Have at it.

Prior to Loving v Virginia, marriage was ALWAYS defined between people of the same race. Oh, and as for marriage ALWAYS being one man and one woman...have you READ the bible AT ALL? You might want to try it...it happens to be chock full of POLYGAMY! :eek:

Native American cultures often recognized same sex relationships. Funny how you, an atheist, only see marriage from a Christian religious standpoint. Every hear of a Boston Marriage?

Guess what? A majority of Americans DID NOT approve of the Loving v Virginia ruling. Does that mean we should have voted on it? Did you know that, if put to a vote in Mississippi, interracial marriage would be banned right now?

It's why we don't vote on civil rights.

I don't have an opinion on this subject one way or the other. It has no effect on my life.

We can have total gay rights, or we can send the lot of you off to Christian Re-education centers. No difference to me at all.

Obama's continuing mishandling of the economy. Big deal to me. Has a real, honest to God effect on my life.

If you didn't have equal rights with the rest of the country, you might feel it was a bigger priority.

The GOP certainly thinks keeping us from getting married is a HUGE priority. Big enough to waste over a million dollars on, apparently.

DOMA Defense: Taxpayers On The Hook For $1.5 Million To Defend Law Barring Same-Sex Marriage

Way before 2050, IMO.

Way, WAY before. Federal courts are already finding DOMA and marriage bans violate the Constitution. It's only a matter of time before the SCOTUS HAS TO rule on it. Looking at precedent, they have no choice but to rule in favor of marriage equality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBd-UCwVAY"]It's TIME[/ame]!!!!

One of the main reasons that marxism fails again and again is the fact that humanity is NOT all equal or uniform. We all have our strength's and weakness and you Marxist can't change that no matter how hard you try! You tried killing your way to it, but that didn't even work. :badgrin:

You really, really hate that 14th amendment, don't you?

I have no problem with the 14th Amendment.

I have a huge problem with the notion that the 14th Amendment is a box of cracker jack with free prizes inside.

"Look, I found the right to abortion on demand!"

"Hey, I found the right to marry a sheep!"
Ah, but here's teh 14th...those law-abiding citizens get to "marry a sheep"....so the government cannot deny these law-abiding citizenss the "right to marry a sheep". It's equal protection under the law, my friend.

Either both law-abiding groups can legally marry....or neither.

seems to me that people need to get over it. gay marriage is the right thing to do.

Actually, I think the right thing to do would be to get marriage out of the purview of government all together. Everyone gets a civil union. EVERYONE.

That wouldn't be getting the government out of it at all.

And you never will. The government is involved in civil marriages and that isn't going away. Get the government out of the MARRIAGE business and leave that to religious institutions. Civil unions should be the government function, not MARRIAGE.

How dare Romney agree with the majority.

Social conservatives must love being on the wrong side of history.

11-3-11-87.png

The poll, conducted in late September and early October, showed 46% of Americans surveyed support legalizing same-sex marriage and 44% are opposed. The survey among 2,410 adults has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

Poll: Support for gay marriage continues to rise - Los Angeles Times

11-3-11-87.png

The poll, conducted in late September and early October, showed 46% of Americans surveyed support legalizing same-sex marriage and 44% are opposed. The survey among 2,410 adults has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

This poll doesn't survive contact with reality even in California. There was a move to overturn the voter approved prohibition on same sex marriage, they could not get enough signatures to get it on the ballot.

The educational system is indoctrinating children as fast as it can into accepting degeneracy as a lifestyle choice. No doubt in a generation or two the population will become dysfunctional enough to support same sex marriage, but that day isn't here yet.

11-3-11-87.png

This poll doesn't survive contact with reality even in California. There was a move to overturn the voter approved prohibition on same sex marriage, they could not get enough signatures to get it on the ballot.
The educational system is indoctrinating children as fast as it can into accepting degeneracy as a lifestyle choice. No doubt in a generation or two the population will become dysfunctional enough to support same sex marriage, but that day isn't here yet.

Proof?

Yes, please provide your proof of that. If there were an election today in California to overturn Prop 8, it would be gone...but it is unnecessary. The courts will take care of the Unconstitutional Prop 8 in no time.

Sorry, but public polling suggests otherwise. What's it like being on the wrong side of history?

The public polling is obviously wrong since it is not supported by reality.

The veracity of polls, especially polls conducated by the LA Times, do not survive a vote.

You may want to believe differently. That can't be helped.

Yes, please provide your proof of that. If there were an election today in California to overturn Prop 8, it would be gone...but it is unnecessary. The courts will take care of the Unconstitutional Prop 8 in no time.

Sorry, but public polling suggests otherwise. What's it like being on the wrong side of history?

By all means, let them get enough signatures to put it on the ballot. Of course the courts can impose their will on an unwilling population. Courts do it all the time. It doesn't change the fact that the population is unwilling and will find ways to assert themselves. In Iowa the judges imposing same sex marriage did not survive reelection.

The trend and the societal movement is toward degeneracy. On that much we agree,

By all means, let them get enough signatures to put it on the ballot. Of course the courts can impose their will on an unwilling population. Courts do it all the time. It doesn't change the fact that the population is unwilling and will find ways to assert themselves. In Iowa the judges imposing same sex marriage did not survive reelection.

The trend and the societal movement is toward degeneracy. On that much we agree,

Damn that Rule of Law! Damn that Judicial Review! Damn that Constitutional Government! Damn that Constitution!

Why can't the majority do what they want ALL THE TIME!!!!????? Boooo Hooooo!

(btw: Still waiting for your proof about that failed petition)

And it really doesn't compare to Loving at all, as much as you want it to. Marriage has ALWAYS been defined as one man, one woman. Now if you want to redefine it, fine. As long as you can get 51% of the population to agree with you. Have at it.

Prior to Loving v Virginia, marriage was ALWAYS defined between people of the same race. Oh, and as for marriage ALWAYS being one man and one woman...have you READ the bible AT ALL? You might want to try it...it happens to be chock full of POLYGAMY! :eek:

It was full of polygamy for important people... like Kings.

Incidently, most of the Miscengation laws were recent inventions. They don't go back to ancient times when people of different races rarely encountered each other. So that doesn't fly.

Native American cultures often recognized same sex relationships. Funny how you, an atheist, only see marriage from a Christian religious standpoint. Every hear of a Boston Marriage?

I always love when people try to ascribe to Native Americans liberal virtues... because there aren't enough of them around any more to dispute it...

Guess what? A majority of Americans DID NOT approve of the Loving v Virginia ruling. Does that mean we should have voted on it? Did you know that, if put to a vote in Mississippi, interracial marriage would be banned right now?

Well, another good reason not to live in Mississippi, isn't it?

It's why we don't vote on civil rights.

No, we just let unelected judges tell us what they are.... So if we put enough right wingers on the courts and they order you to Jesus Camp to get your head straight, you'll go along with that, right?

If you didn't have equal rights with the rest of the country, you might feel it was a bigger priority.

You have the same right I do. You can marry any person of the oppossite sex you want to.

The GOP certainly thinks keeping us from getting married is a HUGE priority. Big enough to waste over a million dollars on, apparently.

DOMA Defense: Taxpayers On The Hook For $1.5 Million To Defend Law Barring Same-Sex Marriage

That would be a law that was signed by a liberal President and passed by Congress with liberal Democratic support.

Incidently, I think DOMA is unconstitutional. It ignores the "Full Faith and Credit Clause"... WHich is why you need a constitutional amendment to correct this problem if it was actually a problem.

So Bill Clinton signed an unconstitutional law knowing it would be overturned at some point, putting the taxpayers on the hook for litigating it.

Forum List

Back