Mitch McConnell's Campaign Manager To Resign Amid Bribery Scandal

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
n-BENTON-MCCONNELL-large570.jpg

Jesse Benton, the campaign manager of U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnnell (R-Ky.), is to resign his position, the Kentucky Herald-Leader reported Friday. The announcement comes as the McConnell campaign wrestles with Benton's possible ties to a bribery scandal when he was then former Rep. Ron Paul's (R-Texas.) political director during the 2012 presidential election. Benton told the Herald-Leader that rumors of his involvment in the scandal "risk unfairly undermining and becoming a distraction to this re-election campaign," as means to account for leaving his role with McConnell.

McConnell reluctantly accepted the announced departure, Benton told the Herald-Leader, adding "This decision breaks my heart, but I know it is the right thing for Mitch, for Kentucky and for the country." The resignation is to take effect Saturday.

As Paul's political director in 2012, Benton has been tied to the scandal that saw thousands of dollars exchanged for political endorsements prior to the 2012 presidential caucuses. On Wednesday, former Iowa state Senator Kent Sorenson pleaded guilty to charges in connection to receiving under-the-table payments for switching his backing from U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) to Paul. Sorenson then lied to investigators about the payments, according to the Department of Justice. Sorenson's guilty plea was accompanied by two documents, which could potentially implicate Benton, the Herald-Leader notes.

Benton maintained his innocence, giving a statement to the Herald-Leader that said, "There have been inaccurate press accounts and unsubstantiated media rumors about me and my role in past campaigns that are politically motivated, unfair and, most importantly, untrue." "Working for Mitch McConnell is one of the great honors of my life," Benton said.

In 2013, a phone recording surfaced in which Benton said that he was holding his nose while working for McConnell and thinking of the long-term best interests of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.).

Jesse Benton Mitch McConnell s Campaign Manager To Resign Amid Bribery Scandal

Sounds like the political water is getting a little muddy for McConnell. I hope Alison Lundergan Grimes defeats him in November.

What The Scandal Around McConnell's Campaign Manager Really Means

WASHINGTON -- The five words a senator least likes to hear are not “you have lost the election.” They are “the federal investigation is ongoing.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky might have a reason to be concerned that the second sentence could lead to him hearing the first.

On Wednesday, a federal investigation in Iowa forced a state senator there to plead guilty to obstruction of justice charges stemming from $73,000 in bribes he admitted taking from Rep. Ron Paul's campaign in 2012.

Iowa Probe: A Ditch For Mitch

Sweat, Mitch, sweat.

It seems to me to be just more of the democratic playbook of trying to win elections by criminalizing the opposition or their campaign, like Walker, Perry, Christie; what Perry calls "lawfare"

It seems to me to be just more of the democratic playbook of trying to win elections by criminalizing the opposition or their campaign, like Walker, Perry, Christie; what Perry calls "lawfare"

So what if it is? Are you suggesting only Democrats do it? This scandal may take down McConnell and may also taint Rand Paul's 2016 aspirations if his father is proven to be a crook.

o-GRIMES-facebook.jpg

Let's hope Alison Lundergan Grimes defeats McConnell. She's much better to look at - and looks natural with a Ruger.

YAY!

This is just for starters. Payback is a bitch. I want to see Mitch suffer from not only the play from Grimes but the sqeeze back from us.

Lakhota you are such a liar and they know who you are by the way.

They side step your mention. I've always been up front against McConnell. I promised I'd work her side. I'm living it. You trying to take some bizarro credit for her coming up against Mitch is beyond wild. Keep being a mega liar bitch.

Good for Kentucky; good for the eyes.

At the end of the day she won't win. It's Kentucky.

I'm heading down again. My name is Boone. That throws some weight. I've convinced enough that Grimes must win to throw out McConnell. I want that man to suffer a true loss. I want that man gone. She seems a decent enough sort. So far so good from up here on making sure she's running neck and neck.

I'll do anything humanly possible to make sure Mitch never ever sees Washington again. The game is the bigger picture.

Forum List

Back