Missouri Supreme Court Allows Abortion Ballot Initiative to Move Ahead

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Well Missourans get to decide whether or not women have a right to abortion via direct ballot. To date every direct ballot election has led to protecting abortion. Its also a potential indicator of statewide races in 2024. Democracy!

Missouri Supreme Court Allows Abortion Ballot Initiative to Move Ahead​

The effort to put abortion rights before voters was held up when the attorney general said the state auditor had vastly underestimated the potential cost to taxpayers.

• Give this article

• Read in app

Andrew Bailey, the attorney general of Missouri, stands behind a wooden lectern.

Missouri’s attorney general, Andrew Bailey, left, a Republican who opposes abortion, said changing the state’s Constitution to include the right to the procedure could cost taxpayers billions.Credit...Kacen Bayless/The Kansas City Star/Tribune News Service, via Getty Images

Andrew Bailey, the attorney general of Missouri, stands behind a wooden lectern.

Anna Betts
By Anna Betts
July 20, 2023
The Missouri Supreme Court ruled against the state attorney general’s position on an abortion ballot initiative, a decision that allows an effort to restore abortion rights there to move forward.
The court ruled that the attorney general, Andrew Bailey, who opposes abortion, had improperly held up his approval of a ballot initiative that would ask voters whether they want to change the constitution to include a right to abortion. Mr. Bailey, a Republican, disputed the assessment of the state auditor, also a Republican, regarding how much such a change would cost.
The delay prevented proponents of the initiative from beginning to collect signatures to try to place the question on the ballot for next year’s election.
“While today is a tremendous victory for Missourians and the right to direct democracy, it is clear that some who hold office will not hesitate to trample the constitution if it advances their personal interests and political beliefs,” said Luz María Henríquez, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri.

Ohio is doing the same thing. Special election is next month. I see one vote (yes) to every 20 vote (no) sign.

I'm pro-life but then again the rest of my views are 100% opposed to politicians trying to take decisions out of the hands of the people. (which is what a yes vote in Ohio would do)

The Ballot:

Do you believe that a baby should be killed if it's an inconvenience? ___________
Do you believe that a baby has a right to life and a right to its own body? ___________

That's the issue.

The Ballot:

Do you believe that a baby should be killed if it's an inconvenience? ___________
Do you believe that a baby has a right to life and a right to its own body? ___________

That's the issue.
Are you against abortion but don't want the government controlling women's bodies?

Well Missourans get to decide whether or not women have a right to abortion via direct ballot. To date every direct ballot election has led to protecting abortion. Its also a potential indicator of statewide races in 2024. Democracy!

This is wise for republicans to do. This way pro choice republicans can vote Republican and for pro choice.

This is being done because republicans are afraid missouri is gonna turn blue.

Are you against abortion but don't want the government controlling women's bodies?
If it's up for a vote of the people, by the people, and for the people, then we should let the people decide. The government had NO PROBLEM controlling bodies when it was forcing vaccines or when it feeds junk food to kids in public schools.

If it's up for a vote of the people, by the people, and for the people, then we should let the people decide. The government had NO PROBLEM controlling bodies when it was forcing vaccines or when it feeds junk food to kids in public schools.
And if the majority of people in Missouri want to ban abortion. I respect that. Of course I don’t consider it murder. If the majority of people voted to bring back slavery I wouldn’t respect that.

So I can see how pro lif3 people will not give up. Especially if the vote is 55% pro choice to 45% pro life.

And if the majority of people in Missouri want to ban abortion. I respect that. Of course I don’t consider it murder. If the majority of people voted to bring back slavery I wouldn’t respect that.

So I can see how pro lif3 people will not give up. Especially if the vote is 55% pro choice to 45% pro life.
It will never be right to end an innocent life. The result of the vote will be a reflection of the “heart” of the people. America, today, reflects a certain darkness, so I'll be surprised if the voters choose life over death.

I will never be right to end an innocent life. The result of the vote will be a reflection of the “heart” of the people. America, today, reflects a certain darkness, so I'll be surprised if the voters choose life over death.

Once again I will point out that many support the taking of innocent lives by the U.S. all around the world and consider those who support that "Patriotic".

Once again I will point out that many support the taking of innocent lives by the U.S. all around the world and consider those who support that "Patriotic".
So you're opposed to the taking of innocent lives? I, for one, am completely opposed to taking innocent lives abroad as well. But I'm pretty consistent where that issue is concerned.

That's not the issue.
The issue is that women have no right to take the life of another human being for convenience.

That baby has has all the basic natural human rights to life despite your best efforts to deny them

So you're opposed to the taking of innocent lives? I, for one, am completely opposed to taking innocent lives abroad as well. But I'm pretty consistent where that issue is concerned.

I'm glad to hear you are in the overall minority of people.

It will never be right to end an innocent life. The result of the vote will be a reflection of the “heart” of the people. America, today, reflects a certain darkness, so I'll be surprised if the voters choose life over death.
Remember when America was great? Uneducated blue collar workers could afford to raise a family. So abortion wasn’t necessary. That was about the same time abortion was made legal. Since Reagan workers have taken a huge step backward.

37% of Americans can’t come up with $400 for an emergency. And you want them to have kids? They have to borrow the $500 to get an abortion.

If our economy werent what it is, I would maybe agree. No reason to abort. And I bet a lot fewer people who abort would. And the 9nes who would regardless, I dont want to stop them. They’d probably be horrible parents and raise horrible humans.

You need to remember that you live in a country supposedly dedicated to democracy.
Does that mean if the majority in your state want to ban abortion they shouldn’t be allowed?

Does that mean if we have a Republican president and Republican controlled house and senate they can’t make abortion a crime of murder?

Remember when America was great? Uneducated blue collar workers could afford to raise a family. So abortion wasn’t necessary. That was about the same time abortion was made legal. Since Reagan workers have taken a huge step backward.

37% of Americans can’t come up with $400 for an emergency. And you want them to have kids? They have to borrow the $500 to get an abortion.

If our economy werent what it is, I would maybe agree. No reason to abort. And I bet a lot fewer people who abort would. And the 9nes who would regardless, I dont want to stop them. They’d probably be horrible parents and raise horrible humans.of

Unfortunately many of the policies many who consider themselves pro-life does lead to many others turning to abortion.

Forum List

Back