Mission to Mars & Space Exploration

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 42Presidents, Aug 27, 2008.

1. 42Presidents

42Presidents CFT #1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm a huge advocate of space exploration and a proponent of the "Mission to Mars" concept. However, for whatever reason, its not receiving a whole lot of traction either by mainstream media, politicians, or corporate pioneers. There is the occasional mention of a new potential space shuttle or the space trip to the moon but they only receive minimal interest.

I would like to see a more serious promotion of the U.S. Space program, NASA, and future missions. Not for the sake of profitable travel but for the sake of humanity's future. I believe space exploration is the future of our nation and of this planet. I think humans future existence will hinge on our ability to explore other planets and cultivate new colonies on these planets. Whoever controls the Earth's orbital sphere will militarily control the world. If not the U.S., I fear nations such as China or Russia could use that power to drastically remap the Super Powers of this planet.

In conclusion, our nation needs to maintain an emphasis on space exploration and developing new technologies that enhance our ability to protect ourselves from space but also allow for future space travel to other planets.

Curious to hear others opinions on this subject.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    A colossal waste of money--if you wanna blow that much money, go for time traveling. That I might be interested---a human colony on Mars in a silly myth.

3. 42Presidents

42Presidents CFT #1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I disagree; I feel we cannot afford to not make this a reality. Our planet has its limits and we will need to reach out beyond its orbit for additional resources and scientific curiosity.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Mars has more limits than earth does for a human. We would HAVE to take Earths resources to even make Mars habitable much less somewhere anyone would want to spend a lifetime. Gimme something big--worm holes--anything but Mars ? Ain't gonna happen.

5. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I agree with you, but it will not happen until profitability and/or military advantage is closely achievable, given the enormous initial investments involved.

No wealthy government will spend on space expansion unless it will give it a leg up on another government (and fairly quickly; no multi-generational projects). Right now that basically means satellites, mainly for intell-gathering. There is not yet any particular advantage to having, say, a station on the moon.

No wealthy private business will spend on space expansion until it will result in profits within its leadership's likely tenure. Right now that basically means satellites, mainly for communication.

I imagine that at some point it may pay off to mine other planets but we're not done with this one yet.

We'll get there someday, I think, and interesting times will ensue. It's probably a good way off, though, and just like we aren't going to start seriously integrating alternative energies into our infrastructure until we seriously start to have no choice, we won't be truly utilizing other planets until we really feel that we have to.

Once those commercial endeavors start, though, expansion of population is near-inevitable. After a few generations of humanity coming to see living off-planet as a mundane possibility, and after a few generations of various nations warring over off-planet resources, both the technology and will to move to other planets will be abundant enough for some serious colonization.

I'm thinking it will be a lot like Europeans taking the New World. Lots of pioneering, wars, trading, and eventually new nations. Oh, and heaven help any indigenous life forms.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think of space as the Scientists heaven. There just HAS to be life in the great beyond. I personally still prefer time travel. We haven't even touched time. Think big. A whole new dimension that will make Saturn 5s look like ants.

7. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    That's a very cool idea, but the thing about other planets is that we can actually see them and that we know we can get to them.

The past, we have only memories and traces. The future, we have only plans and speculation. "Other dimensions," we can only imagine and theorize about.

I don't expect that we'll run into other life in the great beyond anytime soon (if ever), but I think that the supposition that there's something somewhere in the immensity around us that we'd be tempted to label "life" is more reasonable than the supposition that there isn't. After all, it's happening here; is Earth really so special that not one of any of the other countless dust motes out there shares a similar phenomenon?

8. JuniorCitizen

JuniorCitizen Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the economy was booming, many more people would be supporting a Mars mission.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Space exploration gives the propeller-heads something to do besides building bigger and better weapons systems.

I say go for it.

10. Uknow_me72

Uknow_me72 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The mar's mission are not being supported because they are showing us nothing. They have found something but they are not showing it. We get all this crap shots.

The media and elite want it to have minimal coverage, they want just enough so they can justify where money goes.

If they show you something on Mars that makes the enitre world wonder about it and want more information it will take the audiance away from all the distractions and problems they have created here.