Minimum wage laws helping low wage workers

It is impossible to have wages rise with zero increase in production and not have a large lowering of productivity. Impossible.
Lowering productivity means lowering of profit margins/raising of prices. Again, impossible these things will not happen.
That translates into layoffs, again (virtually) impossible for that not to happen.

Don't believe me?

The CBO says so as well.

The Effects of a Minimum-Wage Increase on Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office

It is the height of economic stupidity/naivety to expect tens of millions of people to get massive wage increases with ZERO increase in production and not have that cost jobs and hurt the overall economy.

Think people.

Finally, where in either the Constitution or the UN Charter does it say that a minimum wage must be a 'living wage'?
Hint - it doesn't.
so what; unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed can automatically stablize that and promote a positive multiplier effect in the process.

and,

higher paid labor pays more in taxes and creates more in demand, in every long run equilibrium.

Nonsense...you are guessing/hoping.

Prove it with links to unbiased, factual data.

I guarantee you cannot.

The CBO is taking about a loss of at least 500,000 jobs at just a $10.10 MW.
Taxes and pogey will make up that difference - ridiculous.
MW earners have the lowest tax bracket. And pogey comes from tax payers - which means they lose money they would otherwise have spent. Plus, it is temporary whereas the CBO is talking about permanent job losses in those sectors.

Your theory makes NO sense and cannot be factually verified.
it makes more sense than your appeal to right wing ignorance.

unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed can automatically stabilize that and promote a positive multiplier effect in the process.

and,

higher paid labor pays more in taxes and creates more in demand, in every long run equilibrium.

what happens when you run out of seniors wanting to work?
Raise the minimum wage for incentive.

You won't run out of seniors...the population is aging FAST.
And there are lots of seniors desperate for extra income.
No way you will run out of seniors for many years to come.
I'm 70 and work part time about 15 hours a week. That pays for my gasoline, food, and going out to eat with a lot left over.
Toilet trencher?
Naw, Elvis impersonator at the retirement homes.
I'm a certified electronics nerd technican and went to get a job last year as a game tech at Dave and Buster's, they told me the only job I was suited for was dishwasher..

While the Republicans wine about minimum wage laws taking jobs away I know many low wage workers celebrating in cities that have raised their minimum wage laws. Rather than leaving their jobs as they were planning they are staying because of the pay increases. Some companies are even raising their minimum wage they pay workers like Amazon to $15/hr. A lot of low wage workers I know are celebrating, they have kept their jobs, stayed employed full time, some even have full benefits, and are very happy with the minimum wage increase laws. One worker I know was previously making a couple years ago $8/hr, now she is making $13/hr at the same job with full benefits working full time doing the exact same job she did a couple years ago.

Republicans say how much minimum wage laws hurt workers, what a bunch of baloney !
Next week here in Washington state our minimum wage will be $12/hr. All you see in the fast food places are seniors. No one with a small business is going to hire a kid with no work experience at $11.50 and now $12/hr. They hire seniors because they know how to work, they're dependable with less drama, and don't steal shit.
seniors may have less incentive to work than juniors.

While the Republicans wine about minimum wage laws taking jobs away I know many low wage workers celebrating in cities that have raised their minimum wage laws. Rather than leaving their jobs as they were planning they are staying because of the pay increases. Some companies are even raising their minimum wage they pay workers like Amazon to $15/hr. A lot of low wage workers I know are celebrating, they have kept their jobs, stayed employed full time, some even have full benefits, and are very happy with the minimum wage increase laws. One worker I know was previously making a couple years ago $8/hr, now she is making $13/hr at the same job with full benefits working full time doing the exact same job she did a couple years ago.

Republicans say how much minimum wage laws hurt workers, what a bunch of baloney !
Next week here in Washington state our minimum wage will be $12/hr. All you see in the fast food places are seniors. No one with a small business is going to hire a kid with no work experience at $11.50 and now $12/hr. They hire seniors because they know how to work, they're dependable with less drama, and don't steal shit.

Are you serious? The population is aging...fast. And millions of seniors in America are desperate for additional income.
There is no way seniors will run out anytime soon.

Besides, there will be automation eventually anyway...and bye bye to those overpaid, minimum wage jobs.

Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds
not all entry level work is in the fast food sector.
Fast food joints used to be the place where teenagers could gain work experience and a little spending money. Not so much any more, thanks to regressives. When you're running a burger joint, you have no room or time to train kids that have never worked before or able to put up with their drama.

I'm 70 and work part time about 15 hours a week. That pays for my gasoline, food, and going out to eat with a lot left over.
Toilet trencher?
I'm a certified electronics nerd technican and went to get a job last year as a game tech at Dave and Buster's, they told me the only job I was suited for was dishwasher..
Well, it's a job until you get the one you want.

Are you serious? The population is aging...fast. And millions of seniors in America are desperate for additional income.

Besides, there will be automation eventually anyway...and bye bye to those overpaid, minimum wage jobs.

Fast food joints used to be the place where teenagers could gain work experience and a little spending money. Not so much any more, thanks to regressives. When you're running a burger joint, you have no room or time to train kids that have never worked before or able to put up with their drama.

Nope. Now it's a haven for the illegals, who want to make burger flipping a career move with a living wage. :auiqs.jpg:

Toilet trencher?
Well, it's a job until you get the one you want.
No thanks, I just reactivated the masonry service company.

The ones that get hurt are the elderly that can't work and are on fixed incomes. No way they can afford to drive or go out to eat.

Yeah, that extra fifty cents is the breaking point.
Back in the day when I was working for McD's , a burger, small fry, small drink, were 95 cents, a Trans Am Firebird was $6,000 and minimum wage was $2.10 an hour. Today with minimum wage up to $10.00 an hour, a burger, small fry, small drink is over $3.00 and if you could buy a Trans Am, it would be over $35,000. What did raising minimum wage do for the lazy fuckers how didnt bother to get educated and leave the liberal victimhood? Not a god damn thing. So when Minimum wages go up again, everything else will go up also..

stereotyping is just that. and, why your concern about the Youth, in that case.

Nope. Now it's a haven for the illegals, who want to make burger flipping a career move with a living wage. :auiqs.jpg:
i thought you said it was a haven for seniors.

i thought you said it was a haven for seniors.

"Seniors" is not spelled with an "I".

Toilet trencher?

That's why I didn't pursue it years ago. When I went to school I questioned the teacher about jobs in the electronics field, I was very disappointed with the answer. So then I looked at the want ads and the few I seen verified what my teacher told me.

A couple of years after I dropped out I ordered cable television which was new in our area. The guy that came out to install it was a former classmate. He told me the smartest thing I did was quit that school because there were no jobs out there, and the ones that were paid next to nothing. That's how he ended up installing cable.

I never regretted it and after a few years of that school, I pursued my driving career and did much better than fixing televisions. As time progressed, more and more items became disposable or cost too much to repair. That and warranties lasted much longer. At least now, I'm always in demand.

Forum List

Back