Minimum Wage for CA State Workers?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chanel, Jul 4, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    The Associated Press: Calif. state workers brace for minimum wage

Wow. If this goes through, I predict states across the country will follow suit. Comments?

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    None of them should make any more than minimum wage.

And AFSCME should be run out of business, too.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mw49mk_x0[/ame]

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    it was my understanding that this is a stop gap measure until the state passes a budget....when the budget passes they will get back pay....i could be wrong....

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    No. I think you are right. But I doubt CA's problems will be fixed in the near future. And as a public employee myself, no govt. has ever said, "We have extra money now, so here's a raise". It's about contracts and collective bargaining, etc.

I realize desperate times require desperate measures, but I am fearful this might set a precedent - including teachers. I would not do my job for minimum wage, nor would 99% of the people I work with. They pay better at Wendy's and you are allowed to hit back. :lol:

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    so i take it you dont agree with the assholes comments about that is what you are worth?

i am always amazed at how willing people are to pay sports stars big bucks but those who educate your kids have to beg for pennies....again just a case of messed up priorities

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Gonna end in disaster if they do.

7. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Fornicalia is already a disaster.

8. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,155
    Arnold was elected to fix an economic problem and managed to exacerbate it. During his tenure he and the members in the state legislature passed responsibilities to local government and special districts while raiding their revenue.
    There are systemic issues which ought to be fixed by Congress, such as revenue sharing, where our state sends more to Washington then we receive, and our costs related to the arrests, court costs, and incarcertion of illegal immigrants, are only a few examples.
    Of course the Republicans in the Assembly and Senate refuse to consider raising taxes, and this leads to huge deficits, gridlock on our roadways, impossible long delays in getting a budget and (as is true of all conservatives) R's offer no ideas or suggestion on ways to fix what is wrong except "cut the fat".
    The 'fat' was cut long ago, especially from local governmental agencies.
    California has a personal income tax, it ought to be raised to fix an aging infrastructure, provide greater access to public transportation, make community college, CSU and UC systems more afforable, and stop sending so many of our dollars to Washington. Dollars paid in state income tax are dollars saved when paying the IRS.
    We have a myriad of problems here, problems ignored for decades - since the passage of Prop. 13 which changed the entire process.
    Today we are faced with a geater problem, Meg Whitman may buy the office of Governor. Those who believe we have problems now may see worse in the near future if she manages to fool enough people. It's not time to hire an amateur who is also an ideologue making promises on issues and a process she does not understand.

9. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Hiring an amateur ideologue was good enough for ya, when it came to putting one into the White House. :lol::lol::lol: