Minimizing Cancer Risks

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Short of putting yourself into cryonic suspension, you can't eliminate the risk of getting some kind of cancer (240 of them or thereabouts.) But we can learn how different things can cause a cancer, and try to minimize our exposure, or eliminate them from our lives.

What causes cancer? : Cancer Research UK

Would paste the above text, but alot of what it talks about it then hyperlinks to other pages so reading it on-site is better. Bottom line is eliminating just a handfull of risk factors wont ensure you never get a cancer. Especially if you're still being exposed to notable other ones. Often people seem surprised at everyday things that can cause cancers and believe if they simply don't smoke, eat sensibly, exercise they'll then live for ever. Unfortunately no. Everyone will die eventually. But as with other things, knowing what causes them can help reduce the chance of their effecting us and killing us off prematurely. Everyone's goal for their death should be organ failure from old age and something simply not working right any more, not any disease.

Very interesting and informative.

Two things that stand out:

... the longer we live, the more cancer-causing faults we accumulate in our DNA.

...some studies suggest that the DNA in a single human cell gets damaged over 10,000 times every day.

Those lept out at me as well. First one reminding me of a thing said on one of the news channels medical segments within the last week claiming that some elderly "dementia" issues aren't so much a new problem cropping up, but rather the result of our brains reaching maximum capacity. Got me thinking once again what the max data storage capacity of the human brain is. :) Functions almost identically to a computer's hard drive so presumedly the amount of memory we have isn't infinite, so how much is it?

As medicine and technology vastly extend lifespans, if 'max storage' is an issue, we need to find out whether we can 'erase' memory and free up space or something along those lines. They say the first humans who'll live to be 150 are already alive. Current record's 122 I believe (excluding Bible's 800 and such hehe.)

Last edited:
if you live long enough you will get prostate cancer 100%.

the good part of it is - it grows slowly and the older you are the slower it grows.

Probably because none of us knows what being dead is like. Though existence existed billions of years I was born, I have no knowledge or experience of that time. And I assume that's what being dead is like. Not very appealing. So I take vitamins, eat well, and minimize risk factors for disease and injury. But I've gotten over worrying unnecessarily about death. My only remaining fear being missing the aliens arriving. :)

I take each day at a time. If my cancer comes back, then ok. It's back. Time to go. If I were younger? Then I might watch what I eat, take care of myself, etc. But I'm not younger. I like bacon and eggs. If I didn't eat bacon and eggs and did body weights and jogged, etc, I would wind up being hit by a truck crossing the street and then look what I missed out on! So....I ain't sweatin' it too much. I'm ready.

My only remaining fear being missing the aliens arriving.

My fear is being helpless and dependent on others to take care of me. No no no. No.

Why does everyone want to live forever?

Cause they can.

$McRINO640x432.jpg

Forum List

Back