Millionaire wants $9 hr autoworkers to take a pay cut

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
I have to admit, the guy has balls.

The former head of the Obama administration's auto task force says he should have pushed the United Auto Workers for steeper sacrifices in the General Motors bailout, including wage cuts. The people earning $9 a hour in a suburban Detroit GM plant would disagree.

Roughly 900 workers at the top tier, the most senior UAW workers, make $29 an hour, a rate unchanged since 2008. Another 500 or so UAW workers are paid about $16 an hour — a rate, adjusted for inflation, equal to the famed $5 a day Henry Ford started paying his workers in 1914.
And at the bottom scale are 200-odd workers technically employed by an outside supplier but who work in the plant moving parts to the assembly line, jobs once done by GM workers paid $29 an hour. The contractors' pay: $9 an hour with no health care, a rate which over a year's work would leave them below the poverty level for a family of four.

The UAW wants to move tier two workers up in the coming years, while all three Detroit automakers expect to expand the number of workers being paid the lower wage.

Why a millionaire wants autoworkers to take a pay cut | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

yhank you obamie for bailing out GM.. course liberals didn't have a clue when GM promptly opened a new 800 million dollar plant in Mexico.. know why? cause they likes to score em some political points by saying what a great job obamie did..

ya reaps what ya sows suckers. :lol:

Anyone who agrees with this is just trying to start stuff. That is insane. What do all of you think is a fair wage and benefit for semi-skilled job? carpenters, electricians, mechanics, most factory workers, blue collar stuff? Estimate. Assume that a person paying a portion of benefits.

A government that is powerful and large enough to give you things, is powerful and large enough to take things away.

The GOP didn't want to bail out GM and those idiots demonized us. Now they might have to lie in the bed that they made.

I've no sympathy.

A government that is powerful and large enough to give you things, is powerful and large enough to take things away.

The GOP didn't want to bail out GM and those idiots demonized us. Now they might have to lie in the bed that they made.

I've no sympathy.

they should have obtained a clue or two when obamie shit all over the shareholders, the bondholders, and the dealerships, why do people always think a shitter ain't gonna shit all over them?

The former head of the Obama administration's auto task force says he should have pushed the United Auto Workers for steeper sacrifices in the General Motors bailout, including wage cuts. The people earning $9 a hour in a suburban Detroit GM plant would disagree.

Roughly 900 workers at the top tier, the most senior UAW workers, make $29 an hour, a rate unchanged since 2008. Another 500 or so UAW workers are paid about $16 an hour — a rate, adjusted for inflation, equal to the famed $5 a day Henry Ford started paying his workers in 1914.
And at the bottom scale are 200-odd workers technically employed by an outside supplier but who work in the plant moving parts to the assembly line, jobs once done by GM workers paid $29 an hour. The contractors' pay: $9 an hour with no health care, a rate which over a year's work would leave them below the poverty level for a family of four.

The UAW wants to move tier two workers up in the coming years, while all three Detroit automakers expect to expand the number of workers being paid the lower wage.

Why a millionaire wants autoworkers to take a pay cut | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

Another 500 or so UAW workers are paid about $16 an hour — a rate, adjusted for inflation, equal to the famed $5 a day Henry Ford started paying his workers in 1914.

:lol: Uncle Joe thx you for the shout out.

Contractors are the dirty little secret of modern business. It allows companies to adjust manpower without any strings.

Of course, most of those contractors are probably not a family's primary breadwinner to start with.

Contractors are the dirty little secret of modern business. It allows companies to adjust manpower without any strings.

Of course, most of those contractors are probably not a family's primary breadwinner to start with.

Very much so.

The ever accelerating race to the bottom. Soon no one will be able to afford shit... How will that be for business?

And that is what chaps my ass. I mean, why don't the RW'ers come right out and say it?

In order for us to compete with third world nations we must lower our wages and standard of living to that of those third world nations. American workers are lazy, spoiled and too demanding.
Enviroment? Who gives a shit about the enviroment? It's too bad but we must sacrifice the enviroment that God bestowed upon us in the name of profit.
Any legislation that profits the rich is good. Any legislation that helps the middle class workers is bad.

Isn't that what they are REALLY saying?

Last edited:
yhank you obamie for bailing out GM.. course liberals didn't have a clue when GM promptly opened a new 800 million dollar plant in Mexico.. know why? cause they likes to score em some political points by saying what a great job obamie did..

ya reaps what ya sows suckers. :lol:

I don't know if you noticed, but every time you speak, instead of intelligible language coming out, it's a nonsensical babbling of baby-speak. I think you might need to see a doctor. Your government funded Medicare should pay for it.

There's a reason that the fringe on the right want to completely eliminate social security, medicare, food stamps, and everything else. Because when they drive the middle class into poverty, it's going to get REALLY expensive.

The ever accelerating race to the bottom. Soon no one will be able to afford shit... How will that be for business?

And that is what chaps my ass. I mean, why don't the RW'ers come right out and say it?

In order for us to compete with third world nations we must lower our wages and standard of living to that of those third world nations. American workers are lazy, spoiled and too demanding.
Enviroment? Who gives a shit about the enviroment? It's too bad but we must sacrifice the enviroment that God bestowed upon us in the name of profit.
Any legislation that profits the rich is good. Any legislation that helps the middle class workers is bad.

Sounds like the GOP platform to me. Don't forget endless spending on wars. Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran...

That's exactly what they are saying.

It'll be fine. China's Middle Class (where they have universal health care...another reason to invest your business there...you don't have to provide health care)

These multinational corporations will just keep moving the jobs and their products to other markets. Don't worry, they will still need a servant class in the United States to keep their lawns trimmed, their laundry folded, their cars parked and their food picked.

Americans will be happy to take those jobs soon...

Last edited:
China has just imposed a 22% sales tax on all American cars.. Gm has a plant in Chiner... go obamie go.

China has just imposed a 22% sales tax on all American cars.. Gm has a plant in Chiner... go obamie go.

So does Ford...

SHANGHAI (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. said Friday it plans to spend $490 million on building a third assembly plant in China, ramping up production to meet surging demand in this fast-growing market as the U.S. automaker expands in Asia.

So does Ford...

SHANGHAI (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. said Friday it plans to spend $490 million on building a third assembly plant in China, ramping up production to meet surging demand in this fast-growing market as the U.S. automaker expands in Asia.

Ford isn't controlled by the Obama administration though.

Forum List

Back