Millennials…….We were screwed

I would have rather than go out and rent while paying off student loans. I was going to rent with friends on a house on a lake. My parents said, "you're crazy, stay here and save up and buy something on that lake" And that's what I did. Sure I only had to live with them 1 year and I wanted to kill them but I think I could have made it another 2 years before I killed them. LOL.
Or maybe you go to a cheaper college and pay it off in 3-4 years as you initially planned?

Or maybe you go to a cheaper college and pay it off in 3-4 years as you initially planned?
If not for wrestling, I would have gone to community college first. Probably got an associates and that's it. I bet that would have opened all the same doors my bachelors in communications opened up. Or close enough.

My brother went to community college for 1 year then went to Michigan State University. Why didn't he complete his associates at the community college? He was jealous I was going away to school. So he applied to MSU and got in. He now makes $1 million dollars a year. No one cared that his first year he went to a community college.

Yes, I agree. In the future, students just have to get their associates at a community college first then transfer to a real school.

Hold on a second! For Michigan community colleges, the average tuition is approximately $4,903 per year for in-state students

OMG that's how much a real college cost back in my day. So a 2 year associates is $10K. Now go to a good school. MSU $30K a year. So it costs $70K to get a bachelor at MSU.

So it costs about $70K to get a degree. That doesn't include room and board. If you are going away to MSU you have to pay for an apartment.

Wrong again Skippy
I related a story from when I was a lower level manager

Have you always struggled with the English language ?
You "related" that you took your government job in the 70's fresh out of college and that in the 90's you were working as a 'low level supervisor"! What part of that did I struggle with, Winger? You exposed yourself, little buddy! You're nothing more than a clock puncher! You put in the time...obviously didn't impress anyone with your work ethic or intelligence...and retired as soon as you could. When people talk about the Government taking twice as long to do a job and how it would always cost three time what it should? They're talking about people like YOU doing that job!

That's not what you claimed before, Winger! You said you were a low level Supervisor. All those years working in the Public Sector and you barely made in into "management" which means you're neither ambitious...or all that bright! :)
Funny, this guy who was hired after me is now my boss. I asked the president why he made him my boss. He told me, "I thought you didn't care?" He said, "you're 11 years from retiring. Steve wants to build his resume and show some management experience"

I'm pretty bright. Just not management material. The managers can't do what I can do. But, I don't want to do what they do. Run reports, go to meetings, crunch numbers, show up early and stay late.

I make the most and I leave at 5pm. Who's bright? I'd say me.

Massive student debt, low paying jobs and few advancement opportunities. millennials look back and realize they have nothing to show

The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that high student loan debt caused millennials to delay major life decisions. Fewer earnings meant delaying marriage, home and car purchases, and not being able to move out of our parents' homes - or having to move back in during a crisis.
in my opinion far too many parents felt that in order to succeed their kids had to go to college. Obviously when too many people go to college you end up with a surplus of college grads.

My advise to the younger generation today is first learn a trade. Then go to college if you wish and your employer may even pay for your education.

For examaple:

How much does an Electrician - Apprentice make in the United States? The average Electrician - Apprentice salary in the United States is $51,800 as of January 27, 2022, but the range typically falls between $45,200 and $60,200. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.

How much does an Electrician IV make in the United States? The average Electrician IV salary in the United States is $79,639 as of January 27, 2022, but the range typically falls between $70,043and $89,382. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.

You "related" that you took your government job in the 70's fresh out of college and that in the 90's you were working as a 'low level supervisor"! What part of that did I struggle with, Winger? You exposed yourself, little buddy! You're nothing more than a clock puncher! You put in the time...obviously didn't impress anyone with your work ethic or intelligence...and retired as soon as you could. When people talk about the Government taking twice as long to do a job and how it would always cost three time what it should? They're talking about people like YOU doing that job!
Many people rise to their level of incompetence and stall there hated by everybody who works for them.

Smart people stop climbing the corporate ladder one step short of becoming incompetent. They live a happy fairly stress free life and are loved by almost everybody who works for them.

How would you do that mathematically making $30k per year? LOL

Explain
I saw this and thought of you

This is not an article to be used as a talking point by conservatives looking for examples of folks who bootstrapped themselves through college. Nor is this an article in support of the blind call to abolish all student loan debt.

It’s a singular, detailed anecdote of one 37-year-old’s journey through his student debt. It is meant to inform any reader who is interested in the student loan debt conversation about its personal realities, and it is especially meant to be read by an audience of 17-year-olds and their parents who may be making decisions about college right now. Because so many of us have been told that we need to go to college. But hardly any of us has been given an example of the true cost of that choice. Many people barely consider the decision of whether or not to go to college at all before launching into the decision of which college to attend. Even then, the true financial cost (and eventual life costs) are rarely ever explained.
We don’t talk openly about money in our culture. We ask 17-year-olds to decide to spend huge sums of money that they don’t have without an understanding of what they’re getting in return or giving them any examples of the burden to which they’re attaching their signatures.
I will now give you my example. It is a success story and a cautionary tale all in one.

Funny, this guy who was hired after me is now my boss. I asked the president why he made him my boss. He told me, "I thought you didn't care?" He said, "you're 11 years from retiring. Steve wants to build his resume and show some management experience"

I'm pretty bright. Just not management material. The managers can't do what I can do. But, I don't want to do what they do. Run reports, go to meetings, crunch numbers, show up early and stay late.

I make the most and I leave at 5pm. Who's bright? I'd say me.
You're not Winger, Sealy! When you work for Government it's all about seniority. If you've spent a decade and a half working in a department and you've only become a "low level supervisor" then it's pretty obvious that you're either a world class idiot or you show up and just go through the motions because you know it's almost impossible to bet fired from a Public Sector job!

As for why they made that other guy your boss? Isn't it obvious? He's probably BEEN showing up early and staying late! When you do that in the Private Sector you tend to get promoted.

Massive student debt, low paying jobs and few advancement opportunities. millennials look back and realize they have nothing to show

The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that high student loan debt caused millennials to delay major life decisions. Fewer earnings meant delaying marriage, home and car purchases, and not being able to move out of our parents' homes - or having to move back in during a crisis.
I thought you were my age around 55 years old, you moved back in with your parents?

Many people rise to their level of incompetence and stall there hated by everybody who works for them.

Smart people stop climbing the corporate ladder one step short of becoming incompetent. They live a happy fairly stress free life and are loved by almost everybody who works for them.
I believe that's referred to as the "Peter Principle", Batcat. Or at least it used to be called that. The tendency to promote people to a level they aren't competent enough to handle.
I agree with your view that knowing what "level" you're going to be happiest at leads to a happier life! The only problem that arises from that however is that in the Corporate world someone who doesn't want to be promoted is often viewed suspiciously. Their commitment to the company is questioned and you hear whispers about them not being "ambitious"! I worked for the Planet Hollywood group for a number of years and they had a policy of not promoting AGM's to General Manger positions at the location they were an AGM at. They wanted AGM's that were willing to relocate because to them that showed commitment. When I left my GM spot the AGM that was in place would have made a fantastic GM but they wouldn't give him that position as a GM unless he moved and he had no intention of relocating his family. He ended up leaving the company. Stupid policy in my estimation but that's the kind of stupid shit you get from big corporations at times.

I believe that's referred to as the "Peter Principle", Batcat. Or at least it used to be called that. The tendency to promote people to a level they aren't competent enough to handle.
I agree with your view that knowing what "level" you're going to be happiest at leads to a happier life! The only problem that arises from that however is that in the Corporate world someone who doesn't want to be promoted is often viewed suspiciously. Their commitment to the company is questioned and you hear whispers about them not being "ambitious"! I worked for the Planet Hollywood group for a number of years and they had a policy of not promoting AGM's to General Manger positions at the location they were an AGM at. They wanted AGM's that were willing to relocate because to them that showed commitment. When I left my GM spot the AGM that was in place would have made a fantastic GM but they wouldn't give him that position as a GM unless he moved and he had no intention of relocating his family. He ended up leaving the company. Stupid policy in my estimation but that's the kind of stupid shit you get from big corporations at times.
Yes, my post was based on the Peter’s Principle.

In the large corporation where I worked advancement required socializing with those above you often called brown nosing. Since I verge on being an aspie, that lifestyle held no interest for me. I stayed at a low level of management and took over the graveyard shift remaining basically invisible.

The program once decided to track shift production and were amazed that my graveyard shift was the most productive.

Once or or twice I had to take over day shift but I hated working directly under management as I had to run things their way, not mine. Far to much chickenshit for me so as soon as possible I escaped back to running the graveyard shift.

I retired 15 years ago a month before I turned 60. Never worked a day since.

Yes, my post was based on the Peter’s Principle.

In the large corporation where I worked advancement required socializing with those above you often called brown nosing. Since I verge on being an aspie, that lifestyle held no interest for me. I stayed at a low level of management and took over the graveyard shift remaining basically invisible.

The program once decided to track shift production and were amazed that my graveyard shift was the most productive.

Once or or twice I had to take over day shift but I hated working directly under management as I had to run things their way, not mine. Far to much chickenshit for me so as soon as possible I escaped back to running the graveyard shift.

I retired 15 years ago a month before I turned 60. Never worked a day since.
Somebody in management was asleep at the switch, Batcat! If I'm running that show and the numbers tell me that the graveyard shift is the most productive...I'm finding out WHY and then I'm changing things on the other shifts! Just saying...

Somebody in management was asleep at the switch, Batcat! If I'm running that show and the numbers tell me that the graveyard shift is the most productive...I'm finding out WHY and then I'm changing things on the other shifts! Just saying...
The management just tried to find ways to ignore the results. Basically what it came down to was I had a happy shift where the other two shifts ran on chickenshit and everybody was unhappy all the time. Unhappy people don’t bust their ass at work. They just do the minimum required.

I basically told my crew, “You can have fun at work as long as you realize work has the highest priority, nobody gets hurt and no company property is damaged.“

After work often my crew would go bowling or go to the pistol range for some target shooting.

Of course management didn’t totally agree with my approach but they left me alone as long as the work got done and nothing bad happened on my shift.

When the production measurements started I told the crew, ‘It’s us against them so let’s work smart and show them who is the best.” They made me proud.

Another work obsession thread. Always remember he who retires earliest is the winner. No person is ever going to get "world's greatest worker" on their gravestone.

Yeah they were too stupid to realize that a college degree in art history or women's studies was going to be worthless

Depends what you mean by "worthless" I guess.

Most things are "worthless". All we need to do is eat, sleep and breathe. Beyond that everything is "worthless". Making TVs is "worthless".

Depends what you mean by "worthless" I guess.

Most things are "worthless". All we need to do is eat, sleep and breathe. Beyond that everything is "worthless". Making TVs is "worthless".
Wortless in the sense that those degrees are only good for getting a job as a barista

Wortless in the sense that those degrees are only good for getting a job as a barista

Well, you never know when a degree comes in useful. I got a degree in something "useless" and then it opened a door to my current job, which has nothing to do with what I studied.

Forum List

Back