Millennials…….We were screwed

Wages in america have been lagging for a long long time. People brag when there's low unemployment but then how many of those jobs pay well over $20 per hour plus full benefits and paid time off? I don't consider $15 per hour as a wage one thrive.

I never said every college graduate.

Why do you assume that every college degree is worth a high paycheck?

Most degrees are in Business, Education, Healthcare, STEM

Most graduates are still struggling with debt and low starting wages

Most degrees are in Business, Education, Healthcare, STEM

Most graduates are still struggling with debt and low starting wages
Tell you what look at the list of most lucrative degrees and compare it with the list of the most popular degrees.

And a person can get a college education without going into debt if they want to.

And I bet most of those so people who graduate college would have flunked out if there was no grading on a curve.,

I am a Baby Boomer who graduated in the late 70’s

I was able to pay for a four year degree mostly working minimum wage summer jobs. I graduated with almost no debt.

Upon graduation, I was offered a job that allowed me to get an apartment by myself and buy a new car.

I was married and bought a house within five years of graduating college.

Millennials did not get the same deal I got. Their minimum wage jobs did not come close to paying their tuition. They were forced to substitute debt with the assumption that a good paying job upon graduation would more than make up for it.

Upon graduation they found they were offered unpaid internships or Temp jobs that did not come close to cover their debt and living expenses.
So they ended up moving back with their parents and putting off marriage, home ownership and retirement funding until they were more financially stable.

Millennials got screwed
Oh bullshit! You worked in the Public Sector your whole career in a job that you only advanced to "low level supervisor" in, Winger! You're the epitome of a Government "drone"! You know nothing about what people deal with in the Private Sector...what makes them successful or what makes them less than successful! You're just a guy who SHOWED UP and went through the motions until you got enough time in to retire with a pension!

Oh bullshit! You worked in the Public Sector your whole career in a job that you only advanced to "low level supervisor" in, Winger! You're the epitome of a Government "drone"! You know nothing about what people deal with in the Private Sector...what makes them successful or what makes them less than successful! You're just a guy who SHOWED UP and went through the motions until you got enough time in to retire with a pension!
Hardly true
I advanced to upper management

Hardly true
I advanced to upper management
That's not what you claimed before, Winger! You said you were a low level Supervisor. All those years working in the Public Sector and you barely made in into "management" which means you're neither ambitious...or all that bright! :)

That's not what you claimed before, Winger! You said you were a low level Supervisor. All those years working in the Public Sector and you barely made in into "management" which means you're neither ambitious...or all that bright! :)
Wrong again Skippy
I related a story from when I was a lower level manager

Have you always struggled with the English language ?

How would you do that mathematically making $30k per year? LOL

Explain
It's $30K MORE a year than a person without a degree. Maybe my math was off.

If I had a $200,000 student loan and I made $60K and you without a degree made $30K, I would live at home with my parents and I would take $60K and pay off my loan. $60x3 is $180K. Ok, maybe it would take me longer than 3 years fine. But the point is I would pay it off asap and yes it would be worth it.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have not gone to school and just saved saved saved for the 6 years it took me to get through college, how much money would I have saved? And how much interest would that money have made?

I was a bellman bringing home $150 a night in tips plus I made $5 hr. I would have saved a FORTUNE. Then I would have worked my way up into hotel management and probably be making the same as I make now, without a degree.

Let's say $10K a year for 6 years. I would have saved $60K if I didn't go to college. That was in the 90's. I wonder how much that $60K would be today?

I would have done fine without a college degree but I'm doing better with one.

It's $30K MORE a year than a person without a degree. Maybe my math was off.

If I had a $200,000 student loan and I made $60K and you without a degree made $30K, I would live at home with my parents and I would take $60K and pay off my loan. $60x3 is $180K. Ok, maybe it would take me longer than 3 years fine. But the point is I would pay it off asap and yes it would be worth it.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have not gone to school and just saved saved saved for the 6 years it took me to get through college, how much money would I have saved? And how much interest would that money have made?

I was a bellman bringing home $150 a night in tips plus I made $5 hr. I would have saved a FORTUNE. Then I would have worked my way up into hotel management and probably be making the same as I make now, without a degree.

Let's say $10K a year for 6 years. I would have saved $60K if I didn't go to college. That was in the 90's. I wonder how much that $60K would be today?

I would have done fine without a college degree but I'm doing better with one.
$60k before tax. If you're single you're paying ~25% in taxes so your take home is $45k. You are likely paying for clothes, insurance, transportation and such. So you probably can pay down $30k....your interest rate is $10k but declines as you pay it down so it likely takes you seven to eight years to pay off if you live frugally. Do you want to live with your parents for eight years?

$60k before tax. If you're single you're paying ~25% in taxes so your take home is $45k. You are likely paying for clothes, insurance, transportation and such. So you probably can pay down $30k....your interest rate is $10k but declines as you pay it down so it likely takes you seven to eight years to pay off if you live frugally. Do you want to live with your parents for eight years?
I would have rather than go out and rent while paying off student loans. I was going to rent with friends on a house on a lake. My parents said, "you're crazy, stay here and save up and buy something on that lake" And that's what I did. Sure I only had to live with them 1 year and I wanted to kill them but I think I could have made it another 2 years before I killed them. LOL.

Forum List

Back