Millennials outraged after baseball team advertises 'Millennial Night' with avocados, participation

Heheh. Not surprising some would be outraged, the SJW's show their true colours!

Millennials outraged after baseball team advertises 'Millennial Night' with avocados, participation ribbons and napping stations

Millennials outraged after baseball team advertises 'Millennial Night' with avocados, participation ribbons and napping stations

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – If I say lover of naps, “selfies” and participation ribbons, you would say . . . Millennials?

According to one Alabama minor league baseball team, those are the pillars of life for people born between the 1980s and early 2000s, along with avocados, craft beer and safe spaces.

In an effort to bring younger fans to the ballpark, the Montgomery Biscuits are hosting "Millennial Night" this weekend, but their advertising on social media set off an eruption of mixed feedback from the very group they’re trying to attract.

The Tampa Bay Rays’ Double-A affiliate, currently with a record of 15-11, tweeted last week: “Want free things without doing much work? Well you're in luck! Riverwalk Stadium will be millennial friendly on Saturday, July 21, with a participation ribbon giveaway just for showing up, napping and selfie stations, along with lots of avocados.”

Vice president of fan engagement, Mike Murphy, told Fox News this is just one of 70 promotions the Biscuits offer for their home games, ranging from Outdoors Night to Military Wednesdays and Autism Friendly Night.

If it were a real Millennial Night, no one would win the game. To spare "hurt feelings".

However, to be serious--it's unfair we blame the Millennials for the way they turned out. Their parents did it to them--I was there, teaching, I watched it happen. It was absolutely pathetic to be honest.
Baboy Boomer Parents??

After that....Generation X. My generation, basically. And yes, I guess some boomers maybe. Generation Helicopter Parent. I saw it all around me and it was terrible to resist, but I did it. My kids thought they were being neglected because I thought by fifth and sixth grade they could pack their own lunches, the poor dears. Yes, all their classmates still had Mommy packing their lunches.

I will leave it there because I could write essays and essays. My generation hobbled their children. That's why they have to call everything they do "adulting".

It's probably half Gen X and half Baby Boomer. Most parents in the younger half of Generation X are raising the post-Millenial generation as we speak. Either way, I think it's a little too generic to simply say Gen X were bad parents. How many parents can really say they raised their children on their own? Those Baby Boomer grandparents didn't hesitate to chime in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that changes in society take place on grand scales where millions of micro influences yield a single macro result. Generation X hit the labor market sandwiched between demands from Baby Boomer parents and supervisors to work hard, put in extra hours, live on wages that demanded two income households, raise children with the diligence of a one income household, and start saving now for retirement, your child's college.

Whatever their upbringing, people are expected to eventually reach a point in their lives where they become responsible for who they are and who they will be.

Heheh. Not surprising some would be outraged, the SJW's show their true colours!

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – If I say lover of naps, “selfies” and participation ribbons, you would say . . . Millennials?

According to one Alabama minor league baseball team, those are the pillars of life for people born between the 1980s and early 2000s, along with avocados, craft beer and safe spaces.

In an effort to bring younger fans to the ballpark, the Montgomery Biscuits are hosting "Millennial Night" this weekend, but their advertising on social media set off an eruption of mixed feedback from the very group they’re trying to attract.

The Tampa Bay Rays’ Double-A affiliate, currently with a record of 15-11, tweeted last week: “Want free things without doing much work? Well you're in luck! Riverwalk Stadium will be millennial friendly on Saturday, July 21, with a participation ribbon giveaway just for showing up, napping and selfie stations, along with lots of avocados.”

Vice president of fan engagement, Mike Murphy, told Fox News this is just one of 70 promotions the Biscuits offer for their home games, ranging from Outdoors Night to Military Wednesdays and Autism Friendly Night.

If it were a real Millennial Night, no one would win the game. To spare "hurt feelings".

However, to be serious--it's unfair we blame the Millennials for the way they turned out. Their parents did it to them--I was there, teaching, I watched it happen. It was absolutely pathetic to be honest.
Baboy Boomer Parents??

After that....Generation X. My generation, basically. And yes, I guess some boomers maybe. Generation Helicopter Parent. I saw it all around me and it was terrible to resist, but I did it. My kids thought they were being neglected because I thought by fifth and sixth grade they could pack their own lunches, the poor dears. Yes, all their classmates still had Mommy packing their lunches.

I will leave it there because I could write essays and essays. My generation hobbled their children. That's why they have to call everything they do "adulting".

It's probably half Gen X and half Baby Boomer. Most parents in the younger half of Generation X are raising the post-Millenial generation as we speak. Either way, I think it's a little too generic to simply say Gen X were bad parents. How many parents can really say they raised their children on their own? Those Baby Boomer grandparents didn't hesitate to chime in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that changes in society take place on grand scales where millions of micro influences yield a single macro result. Generation X hit the labor market sandwiched between demands from Baby Boomer parents and supervisors to work hard, put in extra hours, live on wages that demanded two income households, raise children with the diligence of a one income household, and start saving now for retirement, your child's college.

Whatever their upbringing, people are expected to eventually reach a point in their lives where they become responsible for who they are and who they will be.

Fair points. Most fair is the last one, where as adults you're supposed to be responsible for who you are, and that not ALL kids were raised by over-parenting.

But the trend toward over-parenting, I can tell you, was very, very hard to resist. Like I said, I was made to feel like a negligent mother because I really thought my fifth grader could pack her own cold lunch in the morning. She was 10 and 11 years old. Turns out, as we are now finding out, the over-parenting has turned out to be more of a hindrance than a help. I attended my daughter's college orientation recently--she leaves next month--and I could not BELIEVE the hand-holding. These are technically adults.

One mother asked, kid you not, if she could have a schedule for the first three orientation days after they move into the dorms, so she could know what her daughter is doing at what time.

Baboy Boomer Parents??

"Whatever their upbringing, people are expected to eventually reach a point in their lives where they become responsible for who they are and who they will be."

Thank you Storm.

Baboy Boomer Parents??

Fair points. Most fair is the last one, where as adults you're supposed to be responsible for who you are, and that not ALL kids were raised by over-parenting.

But the trend toward over-parenting, I can tell you, was very, very hard to resist. Like I said, I was made to feel like a negligent mother because I really thought my fifth grader could pack her own cold lunch in the morning. She was 10 and 11 years old. Turns out, as we are now finding out, the over-parenting has turned out to be more of a hindrance than a help. I attended my daughter's college orientation recently--she leaves next month--and I could not BELIEVE the hand-holding. These are technically adults.

One mother asked, kid you not, if she could have a schedule for the first three orientation days after they move into the dorms, so she could know what her daughter is doing at what time.

I agree with you. That's what I mean when I say that it's millions of micro influences. These kids don't come with instruction manuals. We're trying to raise them as best as we can, we try to listen to the latest theories and research, we try to find inspiration from our parents successes and mistakes and what works for our friends and neighbors. All the meanwhile, even when we don't agree with the latest trends we also have to raise children that are well adapted to the society they live in, which means that you can't really stray too far from the pack.

I think women have had it especially hard because for so long we were challenged on whether we were a good mother for having a job. We were told we ought to be at home with the children, that our children were longing for our attention and guidance and that we were neglecting them. So for many, the result was that they crammed too much attention, pampering, and "guidance" into the time they spent with their children, which has carried over into treating our young adults like they're still toddlers.

I always find it amazing how my fellow baby boomers diss these kids for being kids while completely forgetting what they were like when they were kids.
These kids don’t seem to have the freedom I had when growing up

Their days are scheduled, free time seems to be video games, sports are all organized

I have lived next to a school playing field for over thirty years. I rarely see kids having a pick up football, soccer or baseball game. There is a basketball court that I see kids sometimes playing

When i was a kid, there was a small field nearby that we used constantly. If you wanted to go somewhere that was within three miles, you rode your bike. Now, moms drive kids anything more than a block

Baboy Boomer Parents??

I agree with you. That's what I mean when I say that it's millions of micro influences. These kids don't come with instruction manuals. We're trying to raise them as best as we can, we try to listen to the latest theories and research, we try to find inspiration from our parents successes and mistakes and what works for our friends and neighbors. All the meanwhile, even when we don't agree with the latest trends we also have to raise children that are well adapted to the society they live in, which means that you can't really stray too far from the pack.

I think women have had it especially hard because for so long we were challenged on whether we were a good mother for having a job. We were told we ought to be at home with the children, that our children were longing for our attention and guidance and that we were neglecting them. So for many, the result was that they crammed too much attention, pampering, and "guidance" into the time they spent with their children, which has carried over into treating our young adults like they're still toddlers.

Well not to stray too far from the topic, but: theories, research, friends, neighbors, trends. I am not trying to be the least bit demeaning or sarcastic, but really--that's so 21st century. Not many people before us ever did that. They had kids. They raised them. Really, they hoped that their children--you know, LIVED. Survived childhood. They didn't fret so much.

I think our morphing raising children into "parenting" has been a very bad change. It has turned what was really a very natural, pretty relaxed and sometimes joyful process into an arduous chore. I don't know. That's how it seems to me.

I always find it amazing how my fellow baby boomers diss these kids for being kids while completely forgetting what they were like when they were kids.

Their days are scheduled, free time seems to be video games, sports are all organized

I have lived next to a school playing field for over thirty years. I rarely see kids having a pick up football, soccer or baseball game. There is a basketball court that I see kids sometimes playing

When i was a kid, there was a small field nearby that we used constantly. If you wanted to go somewhere that was within three miles, you rode your bike. Now, moms drive kids anything more than a block
U old, Bro?

Baboy Boomer Parents??

Well not to stray too far from the topic, but: theories, research, friends, neighbors, trends. I am not trying to be the least bit demeaning or sarcastic, but really--that's so 21st century. Not many people before us ever did that. They had kids. They raised them. Really, they hoped that their children--you know, LIVED. Survived childhood. They didn't fret so much.

I think our morphing raising children into "parenting" has been a very bad change. It has turned what was really a very natural, pretty relaxed and sometimes joyful process into an arduous chore. I don't know. That's how it seems to me.

"arduous chore." Is what I see every day at work. Two incomes, the big McMansion, daycare, baby formula, sitters, PTO, family time...on and on it goes.

"arduous chore." Is what I see every day at work. Two incomes, the big McMansion, daycare, baby formula, sitters, PTO, family time...on and on it goes.

What do you do? I mean do you work with working parents or with children?

What do you do? I mean do you work with working parents or with children?

What do I do? Accountant.

Do I work with working parents or with children? Both.

I wasn't being judgemental, just trying to engage in covo.

That's a valid argument. I think when we grew up, it was a more innocent time. We didn't know there were guys like Gacy out there.

They aren’t kids. They are adults.

U old, Bro?
Pre Color TV

That's a valid argument. I think when we grew up, it was a more innocent time. We didn't know there were guys like Gacy out there.
There were ......it just wasn’t reported as much

Kids used to be “street smart”
You don’t get that with mommy looking over your shoulder

Depends on your point of view. To me, anyone under 30 is a "kid".

Man, how totally full of shit I was when I was in my 20's.

The thing is, most of us were, but we all like to forget that and think that we were so much better than these kids now, when we really aren't.

Depends on your point of view. To me, anyone under 30 is a "kid".

Man, how totally full of shit I was when I was in my 20's.

The thing is, most of us were, but we all like to forget that and think that we were so much better than these kids now, when we really aren't.

I don’t know...

I went to college at 18 and held part time jobs to pay for it
I graduated at 21 and was totally self sufficient.
Got a job, an apartment, bought a car...all on my own

I realize it was easier back then, but I don’t see the effort to even try to be self sufficient. If you live with your parents, you should be socking away money to get your own place.
Instead, I see Starbucks for lattes, video games and partying with friends

You all realize that it was the millenials parents that allowed this situation not the milllenials! They had no choice in it, no more choice than my generation growing up with the parents gone. I sure as hell did not want to get stuck being daddy to my brother and sister! I did not want to bring my kids up like the millennials, I sent my kids out side to play and there were no other kids out there. The other parents had their kids wrapped in bubble wrap! Fucken stupid ass rep[ublican and democrat families raised their kids that way! Parents not kids fault but the kids will pay for the rest of their lives!

I don’t know...

I went to college at 18 and held part time jobs to pay for it
I graduated at 21 and was totally self sufficient.
Got a job, an apartment, bought a car...all on my own

I realize it was easier back then, but I don’t see the effort to even try to be self sufficient. If you live with your parents, you should be socking away money to get your own place.
Instead, I see Starbucks for lattes, video games and partying with friends

upload_2018-7-22_7-58-7.jpeg

Sorry, man, couldn't resist.

I see some of your point. I joined the army to pay for college, owned my first home at 25. All good stuff. (and lots of mistakes as well.) I don't know if we live in that kind of world anymore.

For instance, I could pay for UIC tuition working a min-wage job (some quarters i had to)

Forum List

Back